Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
What happened with Green and the Bengals in Houston
My issue is how they flew him out to Houston with the pretense to play and then decide last minute to shelve him. The risk was always the same all week long. He could have been spending the time with his family and not prepping for a game he's not going to play in. Absolutely garbage management all around. The guy plays for a franchise that probably has zero chance of ever winning a Super Bowl and damn everybody knows it. He's never been a me first player and now he's got a chance to do something only 2 receivers in history have done and they shut him down. It's getting very difficult to keep rooting for such a loser franchise. 5 straight years of playoffs and this team still has zero respect due to how they have embarrassed themselves in Primetime football.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:33 PM)jj22 Wrote: Marvin humiliated, embarrased and stripped of control of the roster by Mike Brown. Coaches outraged. Great news. Clear sign he's done in Cinci. Clearest sign yet. Owndership is back in control of the team until further notice. We just have to get through these next two games.

AJ wanted to continue the record, and I don't blame him.

(12-24-2016, 09:34 PM)samhain Wrote: You think THIS ownership being back in control is a good thing?  It's downright terrifying.

Marvin getting second guessed is good. The fact that Mikey boy is doing the second guessing is bad. I keep hoping Mikey will fold and retire.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 07:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Kindly list any "non-extreme" things this organization has done to AJ that has him deserving better. 

That's not the point. There's any number of things that could have been done by this or any other organization that doesn't go to the extreme of putting him on the field to get injured more. 

Any defense of this FO in the way they've handled AJgate, along with everything else they've screwed up is misguided, ill-conceived and downright silly. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
After being eliminated from playoff contention even considering playing your star player at less than 100% was moronic and had to be a decision Marvin was making.

Hopefully this started an irreparable rift and Marvin is relieved of command.
Reply/Quote
Its bs that ownership can even make these types of decisions. This is the type of bs that may make him leave.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2016, 04:09 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: After being eliminated from playoff contention even considering playing your star player at less than 100% was moronic and had to be a decision Marvin was making.

Hopefully this started an irreparable rift and Marvin is relieved of command.

True, but the question is what ist he health of other star players? Obviously Burfict is out. I wonder if Mike Brown has the power to tell Burfict to sit out.

What if G. Atkins is only 95% right now, does he sit out (most players are banged up). What the purpose of A. Dalton playing, is he not a shining Star?
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:00 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It is true that it is not fully healed. A.J. said so himself, but he felt he was good enough to play and he told me he was comfortable with the idea that it wasn't totally healed.
Clearly, on Friday, they reached some kind of conclusion that he could suffer a more severe tear by playing at game speed and that made ownership leery of their $80 million receiver having to face offseason surgery (at the worst).

I can't speak to what the doctors said. With ownership telling me Green faced an "inordinate risk" in playing, it means they were told he could play - but there is a better chance that he tears that thing off the bone in its current state as opposed to say, a 100 percent healthy hammy.

I believe nothing this organization says about player injuries. The Eifert Pro Bowl injury was supposed to be minor and I still dont think he's healthy.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:24 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Yes, the Bengals need to get him those yards needed to break 1000 for the season. Even if it's 36 plays for 1 yard each, it needs to happen. Once those yards are gotten by Green, then sit him down for the rest of the year.

I'd be pissed too if I was 36 yards away from being the second player in NFL History to reach 1000 yards in his first six seasons and then get a chance at seven.
If they hold him out again next game, we should all be pissed along with Green! :andy:
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:14 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They need to do what other teams do bringing guys back from injury...play him like 20 plays and let him get his 36 yards.

Hell thats a whole game with this offense. 
Reply/Quote
I'm 100% okay with them sitting Green last game.

What I'm not okay is them having him travel with the team Friday night and then telling him that he can't play.

Dude just had a new born, and you're going to make him travel with the team just to sit there? You have Friday morning before they get on the plane. But no. Wait until later for it to happen.

Green has every right to be upset. It was poor communication all the way around the Bengals organization.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I have no problem airing on the side of caution when your franchise players body is on the line.

For all we know there could have been new information found Friday night and the risk wasn't worth it.

They flew him back to be with his family once this happened, I see no issues here.
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 05:46 AM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I'm 100% okay with them sitting Green last game.

What I'm not okay is them having him travel with the team Friday night and then telling him that he can't play.

Dude just had a new born, and you're going to make him travel with the team just to sit there? You have Friday morning before they get on the plane. But no. Wait until later for it to happen.

Green has every right to be upset. It was poor communication all the way around the Bengals organization.

This.

If Mikey Boy truly was involved in the decision to sit AJ it has to be for financial reasons. There's no other reason Mike would even think twice about it. The only silver lining here would be that maybe it will drive Marvin to "retire".
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:00 PM)jowczarski Wrote: It is true that it is not fully healed. A.J. said so himself, but he felt he was good enough to play and he told me he was comfortable with the idea that it wasn't totally healed.
Clearly, on Friday, they reached some kind of conclusion that he could suffer a more severe tear by playing at game speed and that made ownership leery of their $80 million receiver having to face offseason surgery (at the worst).

I can't speak to what the doctors said. With ownership telling me Green faced an "inordinate risk" in playing, it means they were told he could play - but there is a better chance that he tears that thing off the bone in its current state as opposed to say, a 100 percent healthy hammy.

Thanks for your updates. Jim.  

Guys, in general, this is much ado about nothing.  Some people will claim this is another stupid move by management.  It isn't.   It was 100% the right thing to do.  As far as if there were contractual obligations, I can't say, but to imply that they are making this decision based on money is ludicrous.  When have the Bengals not paid their top talent?

Green is upset because he is a competitor, and this was a bigger national stage than even a Monday Night game.  I get it.  I'm glad he is upset.  It matters to him, and he can be upset all winter and take that energy and train his arse off and come back next season even stronger and be that much better a player.  
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 04:07 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Then if its not fully healed you don't let him practice. It's as simple as that.

Hard to argue with this point, but I wonder if he really did.  I am not sure if those practices are open to the public, and maybe he just wanted Houston to prepare for him being there.  
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2016, 08:57 PM)Housh Wrote: Lol ppl really wanna risk AJ Green so he can get some dumb stat?

This made me wonder how many people started AJ Green on their fantasy team or placed a wager on Cincinnati (those still won, so I am guessing fantasy) and that is what has them so tee'd off. 
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2016, 11:16 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Thanks for your updates. Jim.  

Guys, in general, this is much ado about nothing.  Some people will claim this is another stupid move by management.  It isn't.   It was 100% the right thing to do.  As far as if there were contractual obligations, I can't say, but to imply that they are making this decision based on money is ludicrous.  When have the Bengals not paid their top talent?

Green is upset because he is a competitor, and this was a bigger national stage than even a Monday Night game.  I get it.  I'm glad he is upset.  It matters to him, and he can be upset all winter and take that energy and train his arse off and come back next season even stronger and be that much better a player.  

Yeah it is, but something management has to learn from. Also this was NFL network so not a national stage per say.

He was upset because he thought all week he was gonna play, but got the rug pulled out from under him at last moment. Just could of been handled a bit better. I can understand both sides, but if he's not 100% and we're not in playoff hunt, no way you let him play.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2016, 09:20 PM)Derrick Wrote: If they hold him out again next game, we should all be pissed along with Green! :andy:

I believe they shut him down for next week already
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2016, 03:48 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: That's not the point. There's any number of things that could have been done by this or any other organization that doesn't go to the extreme of putting him on the field to get injured more. 

Any defense of this FO in the way they've handled AJgate, along with everything else they've screwed up is misguided, ill-conceived and downright silly. 

I get this, but as an eternal optimist I want to present or at least try to find a positive.  Again, my position is that AJ is a competitor and I am glad he was disappointed but don't see the drama in this so many are trying to create.

However, if I were a coach of the Bengals, and I rely tremendously on AJ Green to do a lot of the heavy lifting for the offense, I would really want him out there, too.  I would not want to look like a boob on National TV with what is sure to be huge viewership, but these same individuals need to start being able to create outside of AJ.  I liked a few things that I saw with Burkhead, Core, and Uzomah and that experience and development of plays that work against the #1 defense in the NFL, on a short week, at their stadium was nice to see. 

No, they didn't tear up the Texans defense, but they had over 300 yards of total offense with Og at LT, no AJ, no Gio, and no Eifert.  That is at the very least, a little bit of progress.  Now, if they could have just tried one deep pass early to soften up the defense....but Dalton was probably thinking he wouldn't have that much time in the pocket.

Also, even though they lost, I LOVED what I saw out of Burfict-less defense.  Granted, the Texans are far from what you would call an offensive juggernaut, but great effort all day long.  
Reply/Quote
I would have no issue with shutting down AJ at all if not for two things.

1. The FO obviously could've handled it better
2. You have to consider the feelings of your franchise player...especially during a down season. It really seems like AJ wanted Moss' record. If so, why not throw him some easy stuff, get him the 36 yards and then pull him? Sure, it's risky to play him. It's also risky to alienate the face of your franchise. I say make him happy and let him have a reason to feel better about this miserable season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
"Trust The Process....Trust The Process"
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote