Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What has been 'the' difference?
Healthy starters? Has to be - right? Look at what getting Eifert, MLJ, Geno and AJ now 100%, return of MJ etc back on the field has done.

Determination? I've spent a little time with some of the Bengals folks this past off season at my 'retirement job' at a local golf course. I can tell you that all of them aren't just hungry this year; they're fed up and motivated to do well. Whit described it as a very large nucleus, not just a small number leading by example. They've planned their work, and now they're working their plan. I wouldn't discount the power of this.

Coaching? First I'd defer to "determination", as that feeling isn't limited to just the players. For some reason I believe that the team could go undefeated from here on out, and we wouldn't see the end of what Hue could do with this offense. His impact here is becoming immeasurable. Guenther doesn't get a tremendous amount of attention, but what I saw in the past two games tells me whatever it is he's feeding the guys, it's working, and working well! And Marvin? He's hittin' on all cylinders so far. Definitely a man on a mission. There's been a quiet-like confidence about him in his press conferences, like he's finally got everyone on his page. As for the rest, I used to blame the position coaches for players looking unprepared to play at this level, even as recent as last year. Now, it's a rare sight to see someone on the field not moving towards the ball....just like you'd want them to do. If we could just get Tate and Hill to stop the sideways stuff....

Luck! Gotta have it. Without it, we'd be looking at an injury list with long faces. That scoreboard might look a little different had that ball bounced in a different direction, or the penalty that was (or wasn't) called, and on and on. You don't need much, but you sure need it every once and a while.

Divine Intervention? Is it possible that all dues have been paid, and this IS our year? Does such a thing even exist?

Did I leave anything out?
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Experience and continuity with the players and coaches. This group has gone through a ton of crap together and through that crap they have gained trust.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 02:05 AM)J24 Wrote: Experience and continuity with the players and coaches. This group has gone through a ton of crap together and through that crap they have gained trust.

Yep! That's the nucleus thing I guess Whit discussed. Great point!
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
i'm going with. they win inspite of their coaching. there's simply too much talent playing for this team. young hayes can't **** up eifert. old hayes can't **** up geno, johnson, and dunlap. alexander can't **** up the depth at o-line. paulie - g can still **** it up though. word to the wise, if this team loses a game it'll be b/c of Defensive play calling.
Reply/Quote
No major injuries.
Experience.
Better coaching
NO PRIMA DONNA's
Reply/Quote
AD
Reply/Quote
All of the above and 'mental toughness'. They are winning games this year that they lost in the past with and without all of the above.
Reply/Quote
All listed but believe health is the major reason.

Bengals were missing big time weapons last few years.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
There are a lot of reasons. I think this team is stronger mentally as a previous poster said. One more measure though of their mental toughness is how they rebound from their first loss?
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 02:05 AM)J24 Wrote: Experience and continuity with the players and coaches. This group has gone through a ton of crap together and through that crap they have gained trust.

^^^This.... we built this team and let them grow together.... its been fun to watch
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:58 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: 0Paul Brown said winning makes believer out of us all. So so true, I been a fan since 1973, this is the best team we've had on both sides of the ball, the big difference this year 85 and 82. Marvin knows how to build a defense corners and ends, I think he has made believers out of the his players and coaches. Can't wait to the playoffs Andy has won games that no other. Bengal QB has done so let's let it play out.!!!! 
Healthy starters? Has to be - right? Look at what getting Eifert, MLJ, Geno and AJ now 100%, return of MJ etc back on the field has done.

Determination? I've spent a little time with some of the Bengals folks this past off season at my 'retirement job' at a local golf course. I can tell you that all of them aren't just hungry this year; they're fed up and motivated to do well. Whit described it as a very large nucleus, not just a small number leading by example. They've planned their work, and now they're working their plan. I wouldn't discount the power of this.

Coaching? First I'd defer to "determination", as that feeling isn't limited to just the players. For some reason I believe that the team could go undefeated from here on out, and we wouldn't see the end of what Hue could do with this offense. His impact here is becoming immeasurable. Guenther doesn't get a tremendous amount of attention, but what I saw in the past two games tells me whatever it is he's feeding the guys, it's working, and working well! And Marvin? He's hittin' on all cylinders so far. Definitely a man on a mission. There's been a quiet-like confidence about him in his press conferences, like he's finally got everyone on his page. As for the rest, I used to blame the position coaches for players looking unprepared to play at this level, even as recent as last year. Now, it's a rare sight to see someone on the field not moving towards the ball....just like you'd want them to do. If we could just get Tate and Hill to stop the sideways stuff....

Luck! Gotta have it. Without it, we'd be looking at an injury list with long faces. That scoreboard might look a little different had that ball bounced in a different direction, or the penalty that was (or wasn't) called, and on and on. You don't need much, but you sure need it every once and a while.

Divine Intervention? Is it possible that all dues have been paid, and this IS our year? Does such a thing even exist?

Reply/Quote
If I had to come up with a "Top 3 Ingredients" to this team's formula for success this season:

1.) Experience- You are a product of your experiences and how you choose to handle them. After four playoff losses, and lots of player injuries, the Bengals changed the way they prepare for games and they also have a chip on their shoulder. They have also developed a confidence that comes from beating teams like Seattle, down 17 points in the fourth quarter. They believe they can beat anyone.

2.) Roster- It isn't always the X's and O's, but the Jims and Joes....The Bengals have one of the deepest, most talented rosters in the NFL. They are getting contributions from a lot of their draft picks from the later rounds as well. Solid scouting, and player development equals a very strong roster.

3.) Attitude- At some point, people have a breaking point. They are no longer going to accept the status quo. Many of these players have reached that point and they are focused on championship and nothing else. All teams say this, but few truly display it in their behaviors. From the coach down, they have altered their approach and it feels like they are trying new things each week to avoid becoming too predictable and to get different phases hitting on all cylinders. I feel like the running game is an example of this. It is tucked in the back pocket, waiting for the weather to turn and then BAM! Here it comes. They have such confidence in their toolbox that they will have solutions for every situation.
Reply/Quote
I would also rate Adaptability and Attitude as a primary reason for our success this year. The team has made so many great second half adjustments that have pushed us to those W's. Our attitude is probably the next best thing to have. Many Bengals squads would lie down and accept those 17 point deficits or cry it out in the corner when the game plan doesn't go their way. This year our experience, cohesiveness, and coaching staff have paved the way for the great attitude and game adjustments.
Reply/Quote
Andy Dalton. I'd say health has helped Dalton in that he has all of his weapons and his offensive line has been mostly intact, but Dalton's play has been the difference. I think a lot of people have suspected that the Bengals would look this good with a top 5 QB and AD has certainly been at least that this season.
Reply/Quote
(11-09-2015, 01:58 AM)wildcats forever Wrote: Healthy starters? Has to be - right? Look at what getting Eifert, MLJ, Geno and AJ now 100%, return of MJ etc back on the field has done.

add in a HUGE chip on their shoulders over everybody calling them LOSERS......and I hope they DON'T lose that chip on their shoulders.......I hope they are angry and ticked off and sick and tired of all the wise guys calling them LOSERS........and I hope that controlled anger and motivation leads them on.....to win and shove that LOSER crap up the rear ends of all the smart allic wise guys....Super Bowl, and shut these critics up. ....This team has a chip on it's shoulder, and that is a good thing. ....I would have no respect for them if they were happy with being called losers.....8-0 does not make them winners, that comes in the play-offs, but 8-0 should get them in the play-offs. Many said our schedule was too hard for Bengals to make play-offs, and now same people are saying it's too easy....The chip on the shoulders is a good thing, the goal, Shut These Critics Up, and winning Super Bowl would really end this LOSER nonsense. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
Eifert has been huge he is big runs great routes attacks the ball

oh and leads the nfl in TDs
Reply/Quote
Everything :

Andy Dalton - has finally started putting it together.

Coaches - are putting it all together.

Belief - they believe in each other, what they're doing and why they're doing it.

Health - no major injuries to key players so far.

Luck - it's always a part of it, staying healthy, ball bouncing their way, etc. But I still believe you create  a lot of your own luck.
Reply/Quote
Dalton keeping the ball down. He used to throw high for more than a half last year. Obviously having Eifert back is huge, but the biggest change is A. Dalton. He is an accurate SOB and has full control of the offense and audibles now. He has weapons and uses them, he's balling like it's Madden.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Easy answer - health.

There's no question in my mind that this team would have made the AFC Title game last year. Nothing has really changed on this team other than having MJ back and getting all the offensive guys back.
Reply/Quote
Last year's team doesn't hold a candle to this year's team, it's more than health. Last year's team healthy couldn't win the superbowl.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote