Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What have we learned in the past few weeks?
What we learned is it's important to run the football because it sets up the passing game. RBs touched the ball today 42 times in both the passing and running game.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Don't forget we still has Uzomah who had 8 receptions in 1 and a half games this season, including Joe's first career passing TD, which was a pretty route.

I just don't think TE is going to be a priority, especially not with our top 5/10 pick. I know Pitts is considered an elite TE prospect but I still think there is value at the slot in bigger positions of need like Slater at OT, Chase at WR (assuming we let Ross and Green go) or Surtain at CB, assuming we let WJ3 walk. I'm sure there are some elite pass rushers available that we desperately need as well.

Uzomah will be coming off a torn Achilles. And he was never much more than average in the first place. I don’t want to go into next season with him and Sample as our only TE’s.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:21 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I'd say speed at wr. Could you imagine Chase with Higgins and Boyd?

Man if they could use Pitts right, he'd be dynamic. But, I feel like they'd have him blocking.

Perhaps knit picking, but I'd say we need quickness more than speed at WR. But I definitely agree a 3rd WR is a need. 

As to TE: I hope we go by the motto that mold your coaching to match your players instead of you mold your players to match your coaching. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He made a critical catch, contested by the DB today, made an impressive grab in traffic on the Left side, and also turned on the juice and made a nice reaching grab on the sidelines. All "classic AJ Green" type of plays.

Fans should not allow "their vision" of what should happen with the team cloud their reality of how the management of the team actually does things.  I get the feeling that the Brown/Blackburn family absolutely loves AJ Green, and would like nothing more than for him to retire as a Bengal.  So, don't be surprised if they do manage to work out a 3 year contract with him. 

I'm just curious how he actually feels about playing in Cincy anymore.

His prime years of playing and winning here tainted so much by terrible showings in the playoffs.

That 2015 loss must just stick in his mind.

He made that beautiful grab for the TD and the game appeared to be sealed later only to meltdown.

It's really a hard pill to swallow even with all the money he's made here.

I wouldn't blame him one bit to want to leave even for less cash.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:26 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Uzomah will be coming off a torn Achilles. And he was never much more than average in the first place. I don’t want to go into next season with him and Sample as our only TE’s.

Today was the first TD by a TE who wasn't Uz.

That's friggin sad as hell !
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:26 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Perhaps knit picking, but I'd say we need quickness more than speed at WR. But I definitely agree a 3rd WR is a need. 

As to TE: I hope we go by the motto that mold your coaching to match your players instead of you mold your players to match your coaching. 

TE is definately on my list of needs.

On offense, WR, TE, G, T (although Hart is ok. Not good.)

On defense, defensive line. CB if Jackson leaves. Can always use a good lb, but may as well give these guys another year.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:26 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: I'm just curious how he actually feels about playing in Cincy anymore.

His prime years of playing and winning here tainted so much by terrible showings in the playoffs.

That 2015 loss must just stick in his mind.

He made that beautiful grab for the TD and the game appeared to be sealed later only to meltdown.

It's really a hard pill to swallow even with all the money he's made here.

I wouldn't blame him one bit to want to leave even for less cash.

He's at the age where most wrs decline...and being injured the past 2 years didnt help. It happens, WRs and RBs have a short shelf life.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:29 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Today was the first TD by a TE who wasn't Uz.

That's friggin sad as hell !

Right? And Fred Johnson could have run that one in lol

Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:31 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: TE is definately on my list of needs.

On defense, defensive line. CB if Jackson leaves. Can always use a good lb, but may as well give these guys another year.

Defensive line and pass rushers definitely need to be looked at.

If Hubbard or Lawson(if retained)go down we don't have great depth.

If Atkins leaves we'll at least need to add depth to our other DTs.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:31 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: TE is definately on my list of needs.

That’s one good thing (kinda) we have so many holes we need just about everything. I’d say QB, RB, and safety are about the only positions we’re set at. So we really should be able to go BPA.

Reply/Quote
MJ should have been benched earlier. He nearly single handedly derailed the line.

The Elise Jesse article on favortism seemed to help his benching.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:19 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He made a critical catch, contested by the DB today, made an impressive grab in traffic on the Left side, and also turned on the juice and made a nice reaching grab on the sidelines. All "classic AJ Green" type of plays.

Fans should not allow "their vision" of what should happen with the team cloud their reality of how the management of the team actually does things.  I get the feeling that the Brown/Blackburn family absolutely loves AJ Green, and would like nothing more than for him to retire as a Bengal.  So, don't be surprised if they do manage to work out a 3 year contract with him. 

I don't disagree with you, but I think AJ will take less money to move on to a Green Bay, Seattle, New Orleans or somewhere like that to maybe have a shot at a ring. Personally I'd love to see him stay at the right price, and retire here as a Bengal. I'd also like to see him get a shot somewhere there. I just have a feeling he's not as done as he's looked at times this season... Don't get me wrong; he's not that old school AJ Green anymore though.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:35 AM)BengalsRocker Wrote: If Atkins leaves we'll at least need to add depth to our other DTs.

I just don't get this. The team is better at the run than when Geno is playing. Yeah, he gets a sack every other game but that's about it. Outside of two big runs, they played the run pretty well today. Daniels, Covington, Reader(already signed) and Williams could all be back next year cheaply while you build up the offense with early round picks. Then in 2022, look to draft Daniels eventual replacement with an early round DT.

Go offense and a CB or two in the 2021 draft and let the 2020 LBs and Pratt prove if they can improve next year. If any fall off, grab a LB or two in the 2022 draft.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:23 AM)J24 Wrote: What we learned is it's important to run the football because it sets up the passing game. RBs touched the ball today 42 times in both the passing and running game.

This...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Daniels is a good DT. He's stout against the run.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:15 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Don't forget we still has Uzomah who had 8 receptions in 1 and a half games this season, including Joe's first career passing TD, which was a pretty route.

I just don't think TE is going to be a priority, especially not with our top 5/10 pick. I know Pitts is considered an elite TE prospect but I still think there is value at the slot in bigger positions of need like Slater at OT, Chase at WR (assuming we let Ross and Green go) or Surtain at CB, assuming we let WJ3 walk. I'm sure there are some elite pass rushers available that we desperately need as well.

I too see the priority should be to make upgrades on the line first. Maybe Sewell will be there wherever the Bengals land in the draft.  If not,  then getting Slater would be fine by me.  I would like to upgrade the guard position in FA so that both Spain and XSF can be used as solid backups.  If the top tackles are gone,  I'd go Chase, Parsons, and Rousseau or Chase, Rousseau and Parsons in that order.  I would sign WJ because he's a decent to pretty good #1 CB. I'd rather keep him than gamble on a first round CB no matter how highly rated. We know the draft is a crapshoot, so is rather keep WJ than loose him and be in a position to fill a position when there are other poitions that need are bigger priorities. Even though I have preferences for which players to take,  ultimately even the best scouts have lots of misses,  so I just hope whoever the Bengals pick will become a great player regardless of my opinion based on reading draft experts. There have been enough times that the Bengals passed on a player we wanted, and three years later he amounted to nothing. Or the opposite. But one thing within their control is spending reasonably and getting/ keeping good players at positions of need through FA, and this where I would hold them accountable. Hopefully we sign Lawson,  WJ and Thuney and maybe a second tier guard,  and go defense heavy in the draft as long as they get a first or second round Tackle (or Chase or a speedy receiver in the second round depending on Tackle availability in the first round).

Of course they may not be able to pull off all of the above depending on cap space and the cost of internal and external FA, and how the draft shakes out,  but if we get say four of the following I'd be very happy with the FO:

Sign Thuney or Scherf
Sign Lawson
Sign WJ
Sign Second tier OG
Get Sewell or Slater or Chase or Rousseau or Parsons
Get 2nd round OT or WR  or DE (based on what happened in first round), go defense heavy rest of the draft and maybe get a speed receiver if you haven't got one yet. 

Do those and hope you hit on your draft picks.  But JB will be protected by prioritizing OL in FA, and the rest I'm willing to leave up to hope. Whether we hit on WR or defensive picks, or not,  we would be helping JB improve which means the offense will put up points and they win some games simply from that.  If our defense becomes better,  then that's icing on the cake and maybe we contend for a playoff spot. Either way,  the year after that we can shore up more holes through draft/FA and really behind a contender. 
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:53 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I just don't get this. The team is better at the run than when Geno is playing. Yeah, he gets a sack every other game but that's about it. Outside of two big runs, they played the run pretty well today. Daniels, Covington, Reader(already signed) and Williams could all be back next year cheaply while you build up the offense with early round picks. Then in 2022, look to draft Daniels eventual replacement with an early round DT.

Go offense and a CB or two in the 2021 draft and let the 2020 LBs and Pratt prove if they can improve next year. If any fall off, grab a LB or two in the 2022 draft.

Don't get me wrong.

I think Geno needs to go.

To pick up a DE or DT as BPA in mid rounds wouldn't be terrible for backups/projects.
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:53 AM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: I just don't get this. The team is better at the run than when Geno is playing. Yeah, he gets a sack every other game but that's about it. Outside of two big runs, they played the run pretty well today. Daniels, Covington, Reader(already signed) and Williams could all be back next year cheaply while you build up the offense with early round picks. Then in 2022, look to draft Daniels eventual replacement with an early round DT.

1.) Geno is a first ballot HoF and has been one of the best All around Dts the past decade. What you say makes no sense.
2.) Our pass rush sucks ass. So yeah we need as many pass rushers we can get in the off-season.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-28-2020, 12:55 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Daniels is a good DT. He's stout against the run.

I think he's a keeper.  He's cheap and there aren't a lot of good FA guys at his position.  Add to that the fact that the under tackle draft class is pretty meh, and the decision gets easy.  It would be ideal to get Twyman or Nixon in 2 and let the learn under Daniels for a season.  If all Daniels will make is 1.5 mil or so, it's a no-brainer.
Reply/Quote
If they don't improve RT then I am cool with Chase. Remember in the Zac Taylor system 3 WR is the base and the TE is mostly inline. Given this we badly need to upgrade the WR corps behind Tee and Boyd. I think that ZSF and Spain are fine as our Guards but we really need to take more OL in the draft both to push Hart and to make sure disasters like Redmond and MJ never go out there again (both should be cut).
Reply/Quote