Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if ...
What if the Bengals win the Super Bowl THIS year with AJ McCarron as the starting QB?

Obviously, this is predicated on the assumption that Dalton is out for the rest of the season. But, let's also assume that McCarron plays okay, but doesn't light up the scoreboard (like a slightly better 2000 Trent Dilfer, for example).

What happens? Do we look to trade Dalton in the offseason and go with McCarron? Do we go BACK to Dalton and try to trade McCarron? Or do we keep him?

What do you think the Bengals would do? And what would YOU do?

I know it's not likely, but still, What if?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Doubt they'd just trade away Dalton. At the very least we'd see a QB showdown in the preseason.
Reply/Quote
I'd give McCarron a chance in the pre-season to take Dalton's job.

50/50 split contest.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What if the Bengals win the Super Bowl THIS year with AJ McCarron as the starting QB?

Obviously, this is predicated on the assumption that Dalton is out for the rest of the season. But, let's also assume that McCarron plays okay, but doesn't light up the scoreboard (like a slightly better 2000 Trent Dilfer, for example).

What happens? Do we look to trade Dalton in the offseason and go with McCarron? Do we go BACK to Dalton and try to trade McCarron? Or do we keep him?

You ignore the page from Urban Meyer's playbook.  Instead, you give the reigns back to the guy who put you in position to attain that goal in the first place, i.e. Andy...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You ignore the page from Urban Meyer's playbook.  Instead, you give the reigns back to the guy who put you in position to attain that goal in the first place, i.e. Andy...

Honestly, that's what I'd  do. I'd keep McCarron as backup and give Dalton his starting job back then if he goes out the following season and can't win in the postseason, i'm moving on to McCarron. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:33 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: You ignore the page from Urban Meyer's playbook.  Instead, you give the reigns back to the guy who put you in position to attain that goal in the first place, i.e. Andy...

Exactly. If the OP scenario happened, it could be just like what happened in SF a few years ago.

Now SF is at the bottom of the barrel and Alex Smith is close to pushing his team into the playoffs yet another year since being traded away.

Give it back to Dalton, trade away McCarron for something valuable, and get another backup.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Dalton had the league-leading passer rating going into yesterdays game, and only suffered a relatively minor injury. I'd look forward to getting him back, and continuing the status quo.

McCarron showed he can produce on the big stage, and would likely improve with experience. He's just what I want in a backup role, in that he possesses ability, poise, and potential to become a reasonable starter replacement when needed.

What the Bengals would hopefully do is improve the running game, and get everybody some poise and focus pills. Plus send Leon Hall and Adam Jones to the fountain of youth, 'cause we're gonna need them for a long time while the rest of the CB's 'mature'.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
Oh if this was the case. As others have said. Trade AJM for a franchise Qb load of draft picks to a Qb desperate team and take BPA.

Andy is great.
Reply/Quote
The only way Dalton looses the Job is if AJ comes in and plays absolutely great and is a clear upgrade over Dalton.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Then his trade value will be through the roof........
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
If AJ wins the Super Bowl after Marvin has gone 0-6 in the playoffs then I would say HE is the one we keep. The hypothetical that we trade away, or bench the only QB to win the Super Bowl for the Bengals, the one who broke the 25 year playoff drought by not only winning, but winning it all....?!

How can you actually say that?! AJ McCarron wins the Bengals first Super Bowl and we're going to just shop him and his super cheap contracts around for draft picks? Ida know. That seems absurd to me. If he actually wins the Super Bowl then he's probably pretty good, but I can see the Bengals immediately getting rid of their only Super Bowl winning QB and regretting it for another decade or so.

I don't think AJ is winning the Super Bowl, but if he does and we trade him immediately after that I may honestly have to walk away from this franchise because that is unparalleled insanity. And yea yea, Trent Dilfer.
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't trade AJ(right away) though even if this did happen because havin a good back up QB that can start is a serious advantage.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

This x1000

Thanks AJ, but Andy is our guy unless he totally flubs it up.
Reply/Quote
Hard to say. You can look at Bledsoe-Brady as best case scenario.

Or you can look at the Smith-Kaep worst case scenario.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 04:02 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: This x1000

Thanks AJ, but Andy is our guy unless he totally flubs it up.

Man oh man, to each his own but "Thanks, but we have our starting QB" is not something you say to a 25 year old who broke a 48-year championship drought.  Is it?  Where would we trade him?  Does that matter?  What if the Steelers offer us two first-round picks for him?  The Browns?  I bet the Browns would ruin him, even if he's good.

This thread is insane!  We can't wait to bench or trade the first QB to win a Super Bowl for the Bengals because Andy Dalton had a good year after having a lousy one.  Bah, this is insane I tells ya!
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 04:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If AJ wins the Super Bowl after Marvin has gone 0-6 in the playoffs then I would say HE is the one we keep.  The hypothetical that we trade away, or bench the only QB to win the Super Bowl for the Bengals, the one who broke the 25 year playoff drought by not only winning, but winning it all....?!

How can you actually say that?!  AJ McCarron wins the Bengals first Super Bowl and we're going to just shop him and his super cheap contracts around for draft picks?  Ida know.  That seems absurd to me.  If he actually wins the Super Bowl then he's probably pretty good, but I can see the Bengals immediately getting rid of their only Super Bowl winning QB and regretting it for another decade or so.

I don't think AJ is winning the Super Bowl, but if he does and we trade him immediately after that I may honestly have to walk away from this franchise because that is unparalleled insanity.  And yea yea, Trent Dilfer.

Amen on walking away from this franchise. No way in the world is Dalton worth more than a super bowl.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 04:15 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Man oh man, to each his own but "Thanks, but we have our starting QB" is not something you say to a 25 year old who broke a 48-year championship drought.  Is it?  Where would we trade him?  Does that matter?  What if the Steelers offer us two first-round picks for him?  The Browns?  I bet the Browns would ruin him, even if he's good.

This thread is insane!  We can't wait to bench or trade the first QB to win a Super Bowl for the Bengals because Andy Dalton had a good year after having a lousy one.  Bah, this is insane I tells ya!

I personally could see us having a QB battle, whoever shows to be better in training camp and preseason wins job and other stays backup/traded.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 04:22 PM)milksheikh Wrote: I personally could see us having a QB battle, whoever shows to be better in training camp and preseason wins job and other stays backup/traded.

THAT makes sense.  I have a tendency to lurk on message boards every time an amusing QB battle comes up and I noticed fans really seem to want to get rid of one QB if they are both good.

Bears had Cutler, but McCown was lighting it up = which one of these guys do we trade?
Palmer injured, Stanton could be good? = do we keep Stanton and let Palmer walk, or try to trade Stanton?

Those are the first two examples I can think of, but any time a backup QB plays and he isn't throwing 6 picks a game fans start devising scenarios to get one of the 2 decent QBs the hell out of there.  I don't understand why. Anyways, the idea of AJ winning the Super Bowl is insane, but if he does then I say he has earned the keys to the kingdom. What else could he possibly do to prove himself? Have a good training camp? Look good in pre-season? The guy did something no man on earth has ever done (I'm not saying he'd be the ONLY reason we won, but you know).
Reply/Quote
I'd be with those that say there should be a QB battle. Let the best guy win and keep the other one as the back-up as you never know what could happen.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:28 PM)PhilHos Wrote: What if the Bengals win the Super Bowl THIS year with AJ McCarron as the starting QB?

I think it will be a wonderful problem to have in Cincy...
Reply/Quote