Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if?
(01-05-2023, 06:56 AM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Definitely, but the importance of the game does unfortunately have practical relevance. We wouldn't be talking about the difficulties of rescheduling here if the teams weren't so good, or if this was earlier in the season. Texans-Colts would have just been wiped from the Schedule for example. A week 5 game would just get replayed eventually. 

As much as people are unhappy with the difficulties in resolving this one, it would be even more difficult had it been a playoff game. No option to go with a No Contest/Tie there... far tougher with trying to find a time to replay the game. At least in this scenario it is possible to call it a tie or something, even if it makes people unhappy. The NFL's hands would have been even more tied had this been in the playoffs. 

This was essentially a playoff game, even more so if KC loses. I know I’m playing hypothetical here, but they have played bad football since we beat them.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 12:33 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Not really, especially with what is/was at stake.

You can’t really have it be ok in one scenario and not the other.  Consistency is key.

That's what I was getting at.  
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:13 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: This was essentially a playoff game, even more so if KC loses.  I know I’m playing hypothetical here, but they have played bad football since we beat them.

Yup!  If we had beat the Bills and KC happens to lose to the Raiders (who damn near beat the red hot 49ers and took them to OT) we would have been playing for the #1 seed this Sunday.  The only thing bigger than the #1 seed in football land is the SB.  The Bills/Bengals game was vitally important from a football perspective.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2023, 09:13 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: This was essentially a playoff game, even more so if KC loses.  I know I’m playing hypothetical here, but they have played bad football since we beat them.

It was a very important game, but it wasn't a playoff game. Whoever lost still had a VERY real shot at winning the AFC, no matter what the route. That's an important distinction.

Whoever lost the Bengals-Bills game simply has a tougher run. Whoever loses the Titans/Jags game this weekend, is done for the season. It's impossible to win the Super Bowl as the #8 seed. It isn't impossible to beat Buffalo and Kansas on the road in back to back games, no matter how challenging.
Reply/Quote