Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What if Burrow pulls an Eli on us?
(01-14-2020, 10:57 PM)JWW1971 Wrote: Has ANYONE EVER in the History of the Bengals franchise refused to play for us after being drafted?
Eli was a spoilt little shit who's dad had his head screwed by horror stories before the draft.
I have know idea why fans on here are constantly coming out with things like this.

RICKY HUNLEY was drafted by Bengals in first round in 1984 but never played a down for them.  He refused to sign and was traded to Denver Broncos.  

Thanks for asking.  Being a Fan since 1968, I love Bengals Trivia.   Here is one for you Fans.  In 1968 Bengals Fans at Nippert Stadium would yell, " Put In The Swamp Rat ".   Who was the Swamp Rat ?  Who did they want out of the game ?   At this position, who did Paul Brown keep the longest after 1968 ?    Hats off if you nail the 3 part question. It's a trick question on the last part being this player was neither the player Fans wanted taken out or to go in as they yelled in 1968.  You should get this trivia question if you don't live in Cleveland.

By all means, DRAFT BURROW, but have it set in stone he is coming. Be ready to sign him to a contract when they draft him as they were Carson. No long wait. Get him IN HERE early so hopefully he and Zac & coaches can establish a playbook to WIN in September. If Zac goes 0-4 again at start, he needs fired going into October.

Does my AVATAR of Burrow and my MOOD of hopeful show that I want Bengals to draft Burrow.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 10:19 AM)kevin Wrote: RICKY HUNLEY was drafted by Bengals in first round in 1984 but never played a down for them.  He refused to sign and was traded to Denver Broncos.  

Thanks for asking.  Being a Fan since 1968, I love Bengals Trivia.   Here is one for you Fans.  In 1968 Bengals Fans at Nippert Stadium would yell, " Put In The Swamp Rat ".   Who was the Swamp Rat ?  Who did they want out of the game ?   At this position, who did Paul Brown keep the longest after 1968 ?    Hats off if you nail the 3 part question. It's a trick question on the last part being this player was neither the player Fans wanted taken out or to go in as they yelled in 1968. 

By all means, DRAFT BURROW, but have it set in stone he is coming.  Be ready to sign him to a contract when they draft him.  No long wait.  Get him IN HERE early so hopefully he and Zac & coaches can establish a playbook to WIN in September.   If Zac goes 0-4 again at start, he needs fired going into October.

At least Hunley was a bust for someone else instead of us lol. How many tackles did he even have in his career? 0?
Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 03:06 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And when the Saints finally got an elite QB (and HC) they won a Super Bowl...

The Saints are actually one case that gives me a glimmer of hope. They were bad forever too until they got Brees/Payton.

Yeah, similar to us in that Mora came along and brought them to relevance, but couldn't get them over the hump.

The difference is, Tom Benson purchased the team, hired Jim Finks as GM, who hired Mora. We don't have those luxuries. The Aints actually had a good coach toward the end of Archie's career in Bum Phillips. They got to 500....but never had a winning season. Archie was a damn good QB, but ownership was just awful.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengal fans have a much lower opinion of the Bengals than the rest of the country.

ESPN has a "fan misery index" and while I know this will shock some of you, they actually took things into account other than "last playoff win". Based on their calculations the Bengals were only the TWELVETH most miserable franchise.

Since we don't see players taken first in the draft by other horrible teams refusing to play I doubt we will see it happen to the Bengals this year.
Reply/Quote
IF he does pull an Eli, it wouldn't be the dumbest thing in the world. Burrow is good and all that but he will get destroyed with this o line. and don't give me any of this bullshit that the o line was getting better. The scheme changed so that they wouldn't look so effin bad!!! 2-14 sucks and the o line was the biggest part of that!!!

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 08:06 PM)RASCAL Wrote: IF he does pull an Eli, it wouldn't be the dumbest thing in the world. Burrow is good and all that but he will get destroyed with this o line.

You don't think he is as tough as Dalton or as good at avoiding the rush?
Reply/Quote
Nobody has ever refused to play for the Lions. Nobody has ever refused to play for the Browns. And being told by a bunch of morons not to play for the Bengals might just make him want to play here even more. Who wants to hear unsolicited advice from idiots?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 10:22 AM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't think he is as tough as Dalton or as good at avoiding the rush?

Andy Dalton:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRYesk-TmxkLsz13w8osm...ltVk_07r&s]

Every other QB behind this Oline:

[Image: bRPl9.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 10:39 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Andy Dalton:

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSRYesk-TmxkLsz13w8osm...ltVk_07r&s]

Every other QB behind this Oline:

[Image: bRPl9.jpg]

LMAO

These people clearly didn’t watch the NCG. Burrow took as hard a hit I’ve seen laid on a QB in some time. He still came out after the half and balled out. Kid is tough as nails.

Reply/Quote
(01-15-2020, 10:19 AM)kevin Wrote: RICKY HUNLEY was drafted by Bengals in first round in 1984 but never played a down for them.  He refused to sign and was traded to Denver Broncos.  

Thanks for asking.  Being a Fan since 1968, I love Bengals Trivia.   Here is one for you Fans.  In 1968 Bengals Fans at Nippert Stadium would yell, " Put In The Swamp Rat ".   Who was the Swamp Rat ?  Who did they want out of the game ?   At this position, who did Paul Brown keep the longest after 1968 ?    Hats off if you nail the 3 part question. It's a trick question on the last part being this player was neither the player Fans wanted taken out or to go in as they yelled in 1968.  You should get this trivia question if you don't live in Cleveland.

By all means, DRAFT BURROW, but have it set in stone he is coming. Be ready to sign him to a contract when they draft him as they were Carson. No long wait. Get him IN HERE early so hopefully he and Zac & coaches can establish a playbook to WIN in September. If Zac goes 0-4 again at start, he needs fired going into October.

Does my AVATAR of Burrow and my MOOD of hopeful show that I want Bengals to draft Burrow.

That name sounds familiar... wasn’t Hunley on the Bengals coaching staff about a decade ago?
Reply/Quote
After i graduate college, I am going to be Joe's crawfish guy. No need to worry about him pulling a Eli. (I hope he doesnt pull a Eli he barely went over .500 to finish his career)
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 10:38 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Nobody has ever refused to play for the Lions.  Nobody has ever refused to play for the Browns.  And being told by a bunch of morons not to play for the Bengals might just make him want to play here even more.  Who wants to hear unsolicited advice from idiots?

Are you new to this board??  Hilarious
Reply/Quote

By all means, DRAFT BURROW, but have it set in stone he is coming.  Be ready to sign him to a contract when they draft him as they were Carson.  No long wait.  Get him IN HERE early so hopefully he and Zac & coaches can establish a playbook to WIN in September.   If Zac goes 0-4 again at start, he needs fired going into October.

Oh right sorry, the last time a guy to refuse to play for us after being drafted was 36 years ago. actually about the time we started getting highlights of the games over here and I started following the team.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 12:09 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Are you new to this board??  Hilarious

Yeah just signed up this morning.  Neat place you guys got here.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 11:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: LMAO

These people clearly didn’t watch the NCG. Burrow took as hard a hit I’ve seen laid on a QB in some time. He still came out after the half and balled out. Kid is tough as nails.

I agree JB is a tough QB..

I also think Dalton is a tough QB.

Why does it become a competition?

Both can be tough and are.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I’m not too worried about him pulling an Eli just yet, but what is really getting to me is the number of media members ENCOURAGING him to pull an Eli at this point. I feel like it usually comes up as a talking point in the months leading up to the draft, but I really can’t remember this many “pundits” making it sound like it’s the right thing to do. Especially this early in the process.

I get us fans being frustrated and pessimistic about the owners, but what did Mike Brown do to these guys to make them hate this franchise so much? Instead of talking up how much Burrow, an Ohio guy, could mean to the direction of the franchise, all they want to talk about is how he should force a trade and end up in a better situation, like Miami or Carolina. What kind of success have those franchises had that make them desirable locations to force a trade to? Just doesn’t make sense.
Reply/Quote
(01-16-2020, 12:41 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I agree JB is a tough QB..

I also think Dalton is a tough QB.

Why does it become a competition?

Both can be tough and are.

I think the issue is that someone claimed Burrow would get "destroyed" by our OL. And fred responded by wondering if they think Dalton is tougher and/or better at eluding sacks than Burrow.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
People tend to forget that we have more playoff appearances this past decade than anyone in top 20 draft order, except for the Broncos and Colts. We just didn't have the killer instincts to win any playoff game in this time period. The pundits like to throw us through the mud, they want another talking point because they all were in for Hurts, Herbet, and Tua all season long and got thrown on their knees by Joe Burrow. Color me shocked they hate on the Bengals, we deserve it. But comparing us to Eli and the Chargers, absolutely pathetic. No wonder people are slowly stopping watching these dogshit shows.
Reply/Quote
Mike Brown has a plethora of faults (Yes, El Guapo: a plethora). But, one of those faults which works in our favor in this situation is his stubbornness. Mike Brown will NOT be dictated to by an unproven rookie. Whoever is drafted by the Bengals will either play for the Bengals or will not play in the NFL. It's really that simple. I don't know why people are so worried about this.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Burrow isn’t a coward like Eli.
Reply/Quote