Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What if Dalton is in denial
(12-18-2015, 11:52 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not sure beating a team with a record of 4-9 also playing their backup QB would define anything.
Now if he goes into Denver and wins, that would say something

SF still has a decent pass rush, and it is a road game.  Leading the team to a win on the road, in his 1st career start would at least define McCarron as being competent in the role of temporary team leader.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 11:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: SF still has a decent pass rush, and it is a road game.  Leading the team to a win on the road, in his 1st career start would at least define McCarron as being competent in the role of temporary team leader.

This is a game that they should win with Wenning, or whatever his name is, at quarterback.  San Francisco gave up 225 yards on the ground to Cleveland.  Manziel threw for another 250.  Even without Dalton, the Bengals should throttle San Francisco.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 12:01 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: This is a game that they should win with Wenning, or whatever his name is, at quarterback.  San Francisco gave up 225 yards on the ground to Cleveland.  Manziel threw for another 250.  Even without Dalton, the Bengals should throttle San Francisco.

Ever heard of the "trap game"?  No one is usually as good or as bad as their record would indicate.  Ever think that maybe Cleveland might have just exploded for a big win, after getting completely humiliated by their in state rivals, at home, the week before?  I'm not trying to build SF up to looking like a good team.  But, they are playing at home, after getting embarrassed by a team that they should have beaten.

They will play the Bengals tougher than their record would indicate.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 12:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ever heard of the "trap game"?  No one is usually as good or as bad as their record would indicate.  Ever think that maybe Cleveland might have just exploded for a big win, after getting completely humiliated by their in state rivals, at home, the week before?  I'm not trying to build SF up to looking like a good team.  But, they are playing at home, after getting embarrassed by a team that they should have beaten.

This is not a trap game.. When a Team just lost their starting QB and got embarrassed like they did last week, Everyone is going to play lights out because they know they have to, to win and help out AJ. You see it a lot with Backup QBs. The first game a backup plays, the rest of the team plays really hard and elevates their play, elevating the play of the the backup. I am not particularly worried about this game. Denver, well that's a different story. There are no trap games the rest of this season.   
Reply/Quote
It's been said many times. Lose-lose for Dalton.

He does everything he can to come back, plays (even if not 100%) and loses, he's the scapegoat, again.
McCarron plays (and wins), he's not that good.

I think Andy knows this. The pressure is on him and instead of wilting, he's going to push, push and push. It's the only chance he has.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 04:07 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: About the extent of his injury and recovery?

Recent articles about him adjusting to his new role on the team seem to indicate so.

[Image: andy-dalton-doles-out-the-dual-peoples-e...png?w=1000]

What the!!???
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 12:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ever heard of the "trap game"?  No one is usually as good or as bad as their record would indicate.  Ever think that maybe Cleveland might have just exploded for a big win, after getting completely humiliated by their in state rivals, at home, the week before?  I'm not trying to build SF up to looking like a good team.  But, they are playing at home, after getting embarrassed by a team that they should have beaten.

I'm sorry, but every single week that the Bengals play an inferior opponent, people throw around the phrase "trap game".  If the Bengals are who we think they are, then they easily take care of San Francisco.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 01:01 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I'm sorry, but every single week that the Bengals play an inferior opponent, people throw around the phrase "trap game".  If the Bengals are who we think they are, then they easily take care of San Francisco.

Trap game is an over used cliche for people to hedge their bets with an "I told you so". The reality is, it's the NFL everyone is good and can win.
Reply/Quote
No such thing as a trap game when you starting your back up QB
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 01:01 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: I'm sorry, but every single week that the Bengals play an inferior opponent, people throw around the phrase "trap game".  If the Bengals are who we think they are, then they easily take care of San Francisco.

Well, by that way of thinking, the Bengals should have come back and won the game last weekend.  They should have held on, and beaten the Cardinals, and should have absolutely wiped the floor with the Texans.

I guess that there's no reason to continue watching this season.  They are obviously not the team that we think they are..

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't think Dalton and Marvin Lewis have the luxury of lying about injuries just to protect themselves from the truth. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 04:07 AM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: About the extent of his injury and recovery?

Recent articles about him adjusting to his new role on the team seem to indicate so.

I haven't seen anything to suggest he's in denial or not accepting of the situation. Whether you love or hate Andy, the guy is a class act and a true professional. I'm sure he's extremely hopeful of returning. Nothing wrong with that.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 11:23 AM)jj22 Wrote: There is a precedent for his injury. Cutler 2011, who suffered a similar break week 11 (a week earlier then Dalton). He was out til OTA's. You'll never know the extent of Daltons injury until he is back practicing. You can't trust Marvin and Co. (or any coach in their position) to give you the truth right now. That's understandable. There's hope that Dalton will return for the playoffs, but it's still a long shot in reality.

I think we should accept the idea that Dalton is done for this season/post season, and enjoy playing with house money and see what we can do with no pressure.

No 2 injuries are the same.  We don't know how big the fracture is to even compare to somebody else's injury, so there is no precedent.

If Marvin and Co. knew AD was out for the year they would have undoubtedly brought in another veteran QB.  You simply wouldn't go with your 3rd string practice squad QB in a playoff game if McCarron got hurt.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 08:43 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: He is a high quality individual.  It does not surprise me at all, that he is doing everything that he can to help the team continue to win, is his absence from the field.

Exactly, this is what high character men do.

Also on AJ. He needs to beat SF soundly to be In position to take Denver. He is doing the right things and I think the team purposely got a Dalton clone as a backup for this very reason. As much as I would love to see the running game flourish like last year. I am as excited to see hue open it up with AJ. Because we won't win those big games with AJ unless we can open it up.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 11:52 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I am not sure beating a team with a record of 4-9 also playing their backup QB would define anything.

Yeah then it would be 2 11-3(potentially) teams playing withbackup QBs
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 03:19 PM)Daddy-O Wrote: If Marvin and Co. knew AD was out for the year they would have undoubtedly brought in another veteran QB.  You simply wouldn't go with your 3rd string practice squad QB in a playoff game if McCarron got hurt.

The Cardinals did that very thing last year (with predictably terrible results).  Pickings can get slim, and you might think a practice squad guy who knows the system has a better shot than Rex Grossman off the couch with 3 plays in his head.  I'd love to think the fact that we didn't convince Kyle Orton to un-retire AGAIN was evidence Dalton is going to recover, but I'm just not sure who is out there and available.
Reply/Quote

It would be a good start, and would lock up the division title with a steeler loss.  That would be a nice Christmas present.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 04:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: but I'm just not sure who is out there and available.

the fact the 2 names we heard were Ponder and Mallet makes me think not much at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 07:38 PM)kevin Wrote: Merry Christmas, I did not say Merry Holiday....

Happy Hanukkah 
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2015, 01:15 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, by that way of thinking, the Bengals should have come back and won the game last weekend.  They should have held on, and beaten the Cardinals, and should have absolutely wiped the floor with the Texans.

I guess that there's no reason to continue watching this season.  They are obviously not the team that we think they are..

Umm, no... I think the great majority of people would tell you that both Arizona and Pittsburgh are really good teams that would match up well with the Bengals.  Yes, they should have beaten the Texans, but the other two are very poor examples.
Reply/Quote