Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if I told you.....
.....our next HC has only been a QB coach at this level, and his lone season in college yielded a 1-11 record. Would you be nervous?

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....our next HC has only been a QB coach at this level, and his lone season in college yielded a 1-11 record. Would you be nervous?

Only if he has to play QB.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He is a gamble but the Bengals of all teams can afford to gamble with his high ceiling and youth.

If he stays on the floor though we can fire him after a couple seasons and move on.

If he hits ceiling could have a good coach for many years to come.

Yet he is a gamble, maybe a big gamble even.

Am fine with it personally.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
After years and decades and eons if stasis or glacial movement, I'm vready for some gambling. Black Jack, yessss!
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:53 AM)WychesWarrior Wrote: .....our next HC has only been a QB coach at this level, and his lone season in college yielded a 1-11 record. Would you be nervous?

I’d say it’s still better than Merv LOL
Reply/Quote
Having the 8-9 years experience of Andy and AJ, with a top end back in Mixon, will help soften the inexperience of Taylor. If we didnt have them guys, especially the veteran QB in Andy, I would definitely be worried.

Otherwise it's wait and see, but regardless of what coach and coaches they brought in and will bring in, they still have to get better o-linemen and linebackers more than anything else. Coaching only goes so far with some of those guys they had in there last year.

PS. First thing I thought of when I read the title was 'I'll take the red pill'.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 03:10 AM)GodFather Wrote: I’d say it’s still better than Merv LOL

As funny as this is, it’s true. Not having the predictable, mundane coaching of Marvin anymore is worth the gamble. As I’ve said, I doubt ZT turns this around his first year anyway, but the excitement of watching our team aggressively play to win instead of playing not to lose will be electric.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 01:53 AM)Wyche Wrote: .....our next HC has only been a QB coach at this level, and his lone season in college yielded a 1-11 record. Would you be nervous?

I would then look at his NFL experience with the Rams of 24-8 and think "cool".   Tongue
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 08:32 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: As funny as this is, it’s true. Not having the predictable, mundane coaching of Marvin anymore is worth the gamble. As I’ve said, I doubt ZT turns this around his first year anyway, but the excitement of watching our team aggressively play to win instead of playing not to lose will be electric.

I agree, Ive been negative on this team for years because of Lewis and knew nothing would come of it with him leading. This is a new page and its exciting. Its going to take some time but is long overdue, Rome wasn't built in a day.
Reply/Quote
Thing is guys, we made that hire 35 years ago, and that worked out ok. :andy:

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 03:24 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Having the 8-9 years experience of Andy and AJ, with a top end back in Mixon, will help soften the inexperience of Taylor. If we didnt have them guys, especially the veteran QB in Andy, I would definitely be worried.

Otherwise it's wait and see, but regardless of what coach and coaches they brought in and will bring in, they still have to get better o-linemen and linebackers more than anything else. Coaching only goes so far with some of those guys they had in there last year.

PS. First thing I thought of when I read the title was 'I'll take the red pill'.

You make an excellent point about the veteran experience on this team.  It's experience at key positions too.  That's pretty crucial now that you've mentioned it.

Thing is, we had a similar situation in 1984.  Veteran QB, with a youngster waiting in the wings (don't have that yet), veteran players, with a mix of young.  Sam Wyche was a QB coach, had one season as HC at IU, where he went 1-11.  That was a gamble that paid off.  Let's see how this one goes.

Reply/Quote
Quote:Callahan won’t call plays on Sunday. Taylor does that, but he’ll be Taylor’s eyes and ears throughout the week, an offensive chief of staff so to speak. Their roles conjure up Bengaldom Super Bowl memories of head coach Sam Wyche and offensive coordinator Bruce Coslet. Wyche also called that a collaboration of not just them, but everyone on staff, just as Taylor is describing it. Once Wyche called the making of his game plans “an eruption of ideas.”

Reply/Quote
Zac is our new Sam.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:01 PM)McC Wrote: Zac is our new Sam.

That's what I'm hoping!  I would like to hear Sam's take on the new hire.  Munoz seems to really dig it.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:03 PM)Wyche Wrote: That's what I'm hoping!  I would like to hear Sam's take on the new hire.  Munoz seems to really dig it.

I gotta think Mike saw the Sam in him too.

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 11:05 AM)Wyche Wrote: Thing is guys, we made that hire 35 years ago, and that worked out ok. :andy:

I had a feeling you weren't talking about Coach Taylor. 
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 03:24 AM)Millhouse Wrote: Having the 8-9 years experience of Andy and AJ, with a top end back in Mixon, will help soften the inexperience of Taylor. If we didnt have them guys, especially the veteran QB in Andy, I would definitely be worried.

Well said  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:05 PM)McC Wrote: I gotta think Mike saw the Sam in him too.

Maybe so.....maybe he's trying to make amends for uncerimoniously showing an innovator the door.

(02-08-2019, 12:06 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I had a feeling you weren't talking about Coach Taylor. 

Good feeling. ThumbsUp .....but I kinda am.

Reply/Quote
I don't think the 1-11 is too indicative. College teams are made 2-4years before they play. I'm honestly not familiar with the situation. He may have had an outstanding team, or it may have been garbage. Either way,every coach deserves 3 years unless they just completely whiff.

One to get staff in place, two to gets players in place and the third when it should all be clicking. If he's not 8-8 by year three, then move on.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 02:14 PM)Benton Wrote: I don't think the 1-11 is too indicative. College teams are made 2-4years before they play. I'm honestly not familiar with the situation. He may have had an outstanding team, or it may have been garbage. Either way,every coach deserves 3 years unless they just completely whiff.

One to get staff in place, two to gets players in place and the third when it should all be clicking. If he's not 8-8 by year three, then move on.

The point is....folks are nervous about Taylor and his staff....the guy with the 1-11 record and only a QB coach at the NFL level was Sam Wyche.  It worked out ok.

Reply/Quote