Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if I told you.....
I'd say I'd trust some of us on this board to run the team over MB with far less NFL experience. So can I really be choosey?!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
There are definitely some similarities between the Sam and Zac situations. Paul rolled the dice on Sam and ended up with a Super Bowl appearance. Hopefully, Mike and crew taking a shot on Zac will pay off as well, and with even better results.

While the future is an uncertainty as far as how Zac produces results on the field, it's also a very exciting time as well. Right now, it's a blank canvas...and we get to watch it develop and transform, and hopefully see it become a success.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 02:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: There are definitely some similarities between the Sam and Zac situations. Paul rolled the dice on Sam and ended up with a Super Bowl appearance. 

But Sam had a DC with 11 years of NFL coaching experience instead of one of his buddies that he had worked with before.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But Sam had a DC with 11 years of NFL coaching experience instead of one of his buddies that he had worked with before.

That was LeBeau's first shot as a coordinator. It's not like he was a veteran / experienced DC at that point.

If Zac's choice for DC gets the job done, does it truly matter how experienced he was previously? While I like the idea of a veteran DC, I'm also not opposed to going with a talented younger guy who might be able to bring something fresh and different.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 03:08 PM)fredtoast Wrote: But Sam had a DC with 11 years of NFL coaching experience instead of one of his buddies that he had worked with before.

....and Zac has a ST coordinator that has been with this team for 16 seasons.  Wyche had no OC, coached with Coslet in SF, Anderson, Kim Wood, Joe Faragalli, Dick Selcer, Bill Urbanik, and Trent Walters were ALL new coaches that came in with Wyche, most of them ROOKIE coaches.

The similarities are closer than you realize.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 12:01 PM)McC Wrote: Zac is our new Sam.

I believe he just might be McC
Reply/Quote
I have to admit this whole total coach turnover and hiring of a lot of inexperienced coaches has me interested and also worried at the same time. This could turn out to be an amazing overhaul or a complete disaster. I'm on team, "Hope this is amazing." Mostly I hope that with this MB and company agreed to do more in free agency and will honor that agreement.

Also by amazing I don't mean being a Super Bowl team year one. However if Zac and company in their first season together can make us competitive again in the AFCN, especially against Steelers and in other key games I'll be happy. If that happens I think the rest may follow.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 04:04 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: I have to admit this whole total coach turnover and hiring of a lot of inexperienced coaches has me interested and also worried at the same time.  This could turn out to be an amazing overhaul or a complete disaster.  I'm on team, "Hope this is amazing."  Mostly I hope that with this MB and company agreed to do more in free agency and will honor that agreement.

Also by amazing I don't mean being a Super Bowl team year one.  However if Zac and company in their first season together can make us competitive again in the AFCN, especially against Steelers and in other key games I'll be happy.  If that happens I think  the rest may follow.

If the team plays with some life and fire, and we do some innovative things, I'll call it a success in year one.  If they manage to get to the postseason, I'll call it HUGE.  Like you say, the rest will follow.  

Reply/Quote

Eary similarities between Taylor and Callahan and Wyche and Coslett.

Hope it works out similar with Taylor getting the Superbowl win this time around.
Reply/Quote
Tbh, I wanted JDR, but the quality of "experienced" DC's dropped off a cliff after that. So if the options were a washed up Dom Capers or a rising young guy who coached DB's in this year's Super Bowl, I'll take the latter. Especially when he brings more of that Rams atmosphere and positivity with him.

Maybe we can get experience elsewhere? We just had a former HC who coached our LB's (Haslett), so it's very possible. Plus we still have Simmons, who is quite experienced himself.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2019, 04:52 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh, I wanted JDR, but the quality of "experienced" DC's dropped off a cliff after that. So if the options were a washed up Dom Capers or a rising young guy who coached DB's in this year's Super Bowl, I'll take the latter. Especially when he brings more of that Rams atmosphere and positivity with him.

Maybe we can get experience elsewhere? We just had a former HC who coached our LB's (Haslett), so it's very possible. Plus we still have Simmons, who is quite experienced himself.

Right, the NFL's silly rule really handcuffed us....but it is what it is.  Like you, after Del Rio, it gets kind of shaky.

Reply/Quote
What if he agreed to interview the old timers for Mike's sake, maybe knowing the whole time that they wouldn't be right for him? What if the newest list is actually his list, the young guys, the position coaches ready to move up, the college coaches? Maybe he knew all along he didn't want JDR or Capers. Hell, reportedly, he only talked to Del Rio on the phone. That has to say something about the level of interest.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote