Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What if they were paired up again?
I was running thru various simulations with different targets for the first round when this pairing in the second round presented itself and my curiosity got the best of me. When the simulation was over and done I must admit I was very pleased with the outcome. Do I believe a pairing like the 1st and 2nd round will happen? Well, maybe not but it would not be the first time that the Bengals went back to back with the same position group.

The Draft:

Reply/Quote
1st RD. - 18th Selection:
Byron Murphy II - DT - Texas - 6'0" 297
The Bengals need to strengthen the interior of their defensive line and adding Murphy to the mix is one heck of a good start to go with the signing of Rankins. When I attempt to describe Murphy what immediately comes to mind is powerful and explosive. Murphy plays with a motor that is on high all of the time and is relentless in pursuit of the ball carrier or the QB. Murphy will make for a great rotation with Rankins at the 3 tech and can rotate in at the NT position on passing downs. Murphy is just an outstanding football player and brings the work ethic and drive that every team wants in it's locker room.

Fits the bill as an argument for BPA and need for this franchise. Great value all things considered. Bowers was still on the board but I felt this was just the right thing for where this franchise is at this time.

2nd RD. - 49th Selection:
T'Vondre Sweat - DT - Texas - 6'4.5" 366
NT is arguably the most pressing need of the Bengals with the loss of DJ Reader in free agency. In the 2nd RD. the Bengals have the opportunity to add the best pure NT in the draft while pairing him back up with his running mate from Texas. Sweat is the reigning Outland Trophy winner and when he anchors he is virtually unmovable. Sweat regularly draws double teams and has shown the ability to consistently defeat double teams. Being able to consistently draw these double teams will allow players such as Rankins and Murphy to more consistently work on 1 on 1 situations as well as keep the LBs clean to make plays.

A much more physical defensive line will really help this Bengals defense and these first two selections certainly fit the bill when talking about being physical.

3rd RD. - 80th Selection:
Cade Stover - TE - The Ohio State - 6'4" 247
Then Bengals passed on Baby Gronk in the 1st but they land Farmer Gronk in the 3rd. Much like Bowers, Stover is an accomplished receiver that runs really good routes and can test the defensive at all levels. When the ball is in his hands he has the ability to produce yards after that catch with both his speed and physicality. Bowers is the much more accomplished blocker for certain but with the abilities and attitude that Stover has he should certainly be able to develop as a blocker. 

The Bengals add a serious receiving threat to the TE in position which will go along way in easing the pain of losing Tyler Boyd who was a chain mover for this offense in critical yards to gain situations. It does not hurt that he is from Ohio either.

3rd RD. - 97th Selection:
Blake Fisher - OT - Notre Dame - 6'6" 310
The Brilliant off-season work of the Bengals allows them to not have to make OT a first round priority. However, in the late 3rd the Bengals land a prospect that really could be capable of being a day 1 starter at RT. Fisher is a very talented RT prospect that was a 5 star recruit just like Alt was. A NFL personnel executive stated that Fisher is the naturally and physically gifted prospect out of the two but that Alt is just more technically sound at this time. Fisher has solid traits such as size. strength, and length and shows natural ability to play the position.

Fisher could be a capable day 1 starter but bringing in Trent Brown gives the Bengals the opportunity to develop the technique and consistency of Fisher a bit more before he has to be an impact player. 

4th RD. - 115th Selection:
Javon Baker - WR - UCF - 6'1" 202
As is the case with Fisher in the 3rd round, Baker is in a draft that is filled with top of the draft talent at his respective position which has him going far lower than he may have in other years. When you watch tape on Baker what you will see is an extremely talented, consistent, and technically sound prospect that plays a brand of football that translates to the NFL. His maturity at the position should lend itself to him seeing early playing time and be effective when he gets the opportunity. 

Baker is a physical WR that is pretty savvy running routes which helps him achieve separation. A huge value selection and great addition to the WR room for the Bengals.

5th RD. - 149th Selection:
Isaac Guerendo - RB - Louisville - 6'0" 221
The Bengals have made some really good moves in improving their running game with the addition of Chase Brown in the '23 draft as well as adding Moss as a free agent. Guerendo adds the thump that they do not have with Brown or Moss and while bringing this physicality Guerendo also brings elite long speed. Guerendo is a very good receiver out of the backfield but most importantly he is very good in pass protection which could allow him to see some work as a rookie. Guerendo is the type of back that might finally push Trayveon Williams off of the Bengals roster.

Guerendo is a very capable young prospect that checks the boxes of a future feature back at the NFL level. Another really good value selection for the Bengals late in the draft.

6th RD. - 194th Selection:
Hunter Nourzad - C - Penn State - 6'3" 317
Karras is a free agent after the '24 season and the selection of Nourzad gives the Bengals a very capable replacement. Nourzad has played in a very physical conference and has done it at a very high level. Nourzad transferred to Penn State from Cornell so he certainly has the smarts to operate at center at the NFL level. As a rookie he offers position versatility for the Bengals having also player LG at Penn State and RT at Cornell. Brings good size, power, and length to the position and there are those that believe he brings early starter ability.

Overall, the heir apparent to the center position and gets a season to develop and acclimate to the NFL game. The more film I watch of this kid the more I like him.

6th RD. - 214th Selection:
Kamal Hadden - CB - Tennessee - 6'1" 196
What an outstanding position the Bengals are in to have Hadden still on the boards this deep in the draft. Hadden is a big, long, physical corner that has seen time against some of the best WR talent in all of college football on a rather consistent basis. Hadden has fared very well when matched up against these talented SEC WRs. While Hadden is not a track star he did record a pretty respectable 4.53 at the Tennessee Pro Day. The Bengals need to add some depth to the CB room which lost Awuzie in FA as well as the uncertainty of availability with Ivey after his late season injury. 

7th RD. - 224th Selection:
Bub Means - WR - Pitt - 6'1" 212
Means jumped around a bit before finding his home at Pitt. However, once he arrived he quickly showed that there is some real talent to be developed. He brings NFL size, speed, and length as well as the ability to produce yards after the ball is in his hands. Means has good hands and can make the contested catch but needs to work on consistency in his overall game. He seems to be a kid that has a great attitude and that is coachable. May impress enough to make the bottom of the roster but at worse is a kid that they could get to the PS to continue to develop his skills.

7th RD. - 237th Selection:
Trey Taylor - S - Air Force - 6'0" 207
The Bengals are sitting pretty decent at safety with Stone, Bell, and Battle. However, it seems that Hill at safety is not certain at this point and that the Bengals may experiment with him more as a slot or nickel corner and Andersen cannot stay healthy. Taylor is an immensely talented safety prospect who plays with outstanding physicality and good speed while showcasing near elite ball skills. Taylor is not subject to military duty so can immediately meet a NFL commitment. While he comes with really good physical talent and traits, Taylor the person may be the best part of the package. Watch a single interview with this young man and the high character he brings is immediately recognized.
Reply/Quote
Really like this draft!
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 06:53 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Really like this draft!

I certainly would not have a problem with it!
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 07:59 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I certainly would not have a problem with it!

Who’s playing corner oppo cam Taylor!?
Reply/Quote
Uh yeah, I like this a lot. I am wanting Murphy more and more the closer we get to the Draft, getting Sweat too sure would be
good for chemistry and bulking up the DL. You got my favorite sleeper OT in this Draft in the 3rd in Blake Fisher, love the Stover
and the Guerrendo picks. Need to watch some film on Javon Baker, but overall I would be very happy with this and then grab a
Corner after the Draft. There are still a few really good ones out there. Good job OSUfan.

Cool
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 08:10 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: Who’s playing corner oppo cam Taylor!?

DJ Turner is the obvious answer which would probably be the reason that they drafted him.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2024, 08:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Uh yeah, I like this a lot. I am wanting Murphy more and more the closer we get to the Draft, getting Sweat too sure would be
good for chemistry and bulking up the DL. You got my favorite sleeper OT in this Draft in the 3rd in Blake Fisher, love the Stover
and the Guerrendo picks. Need to watch some film on Javon Baker, but overall I would be very happy with this and then grab a
Corner after the Draft. There are still a few really good ones out there. Good job OSUfan.

Cool

Baker has a game that translates very well to the NFL game and I could see him being a guy that gets early snaps for whatever team he is drafted by. He is very physical and can work a CB over. An all around solid WR while maybe not being elite at any area of the position.

A kid that runs a decent chance of being available at corner after the draft is Willie Drew from Virginia State. This kid is immensely talented.
Reply/Quote