Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is "White Privledge"?
(03-06-2016, 07:22 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: It is harder to see your own privileges just like it is harder to see other people's struggles.  All we have in our lives are our own experiences and our own interpretation of them. 

Interesting.  Because part of "white privilege" is being raised not to take anything for granted, or expect things to be handed to you.
--------------------------------------------------------

(03-06-2016, 12:36 AM)Vlad Wrote: Educate yourself.  For some white privilege leads to white guilt or is synonymous with it.

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/30/why_acknowledging_white_privilege_is_not_surrendering_to_white_guilt/

Maybe you should read what you posted

" No doubt the patronizing and ineffectual version of liberal white guilt mocked by right-wingers has existed in someone, somewhere. But I have hardly ever encountered it."
(03-06-2016, 02:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I do know If I treated others with the same language that I am often treated then I would get a 2 day vacation.    I do think there is at times a seperate standard for myself vs others.

Cry Cry Cry Cry

Poor Lucie.
(03-06-2016, 07:57 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Interesting.  Because part of "white privilege" is being raised not to take anything for granted, or expect things to be handed to you.

This has nothing to do with white privilege.

Are you claiming that minorities simultaneously teach their children to both be victims and expect benefits?  Aren't those opposite concepts?
(03-06-2016, 03:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This has nothing to do with white privilege.

Are you claiming that minorities simultaneously teach their children to both be victims and expect benefits?  Aren't those opposite concepts?

Lots of people in lots of different groups sit around and gripe that the deck is stacked against them.  We tend to all complain but think others who complain are doing so erroneously, while our complaints are just and founded.

Minorities can gripe that they are victimized by whites and whites and gripe that they are the victims of a society that has became way too PC and hard on them (whites) in order to cater to minorities who are just making up THEIR victim status.  Oy!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(03-06-2016, 02:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Maybe you should read what you posted

" No doubt the patronizing and ineffectual version of liberal white guilt mocked by right-wingers has existed in someone, somewhere. But I have hardly ever encountered it."

The title of the article was Why acknowledging white privilege is not surrendering to “white guilt” .

So you decide to take the authors personal experience of him HARDLY every encountering it, and pretend like you got me?
Grow up Fred. You have no business whining about SN or St.Lucie.
(03-06-2016, 05:06 PM)Vlad Wrote: The title of the article was Why acknowledging white privilege is not surrendering to “white guilt” .

So you decide to take the authors personal experience of him HARDLY every encountering it, and pretend like you got me?
Grow up Fred. You have no business whining about SN or St.Lucie.

My original point was that "white privilege" was not connected to "white guilt".

And you just posted a link that supports my position.

So i don't really understand what you are trying to say here.
(03-06-2016, 07:57 AM)JustWinBaby Wrote: Interesting.  Because part of "white privilege" is being raised not to take anything for granted, or expect things to be handed to you.

Yep. Perceptions are based on how you are raised and what other outlets you may have to shape your view points.

I posted this scenario in a different thread.

A white man and a black man both visit 10 stores.  Out of those 10 the white man is followed around 7 times.  However the white man isn't looking for this type of behavior from store owners because he is constantly told that it only happens to non whites, specifically blacks.  Since he isn't looking for it, he doesn't share this experience with anyone and the incidents are never spoken of.

The black man visits the same 10 stores.  He is only followed once out of 10.  Now because he is looking for it, he notices it, he doesn't notice the 9 stores that he wasn't followed around in.  He only noticed the 1 time he was.  He shares this experience with anyone and everyone.  This perpetuates the perception that black men are followed around in stores. 

I even added this extra nugget the last time as well.  The one store that followed the black guy, also followed the white guy as well.  The reason he followed the 2 guys was because he has found out that someone is stealing from his store and he is just staying extra vigilant.

However the perception that is further perpetuated is that blacks are followed around while whites are left alone. 

There are many factors involved in regards to being profiled, race may be one, but that doesn't mean it is the only one.
The absolutely hilarious part(s) of this thread is those that knowingly propose to define white privilege. It is a made up term from people used about 40 years ago.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-07-2016, 01:36 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Yep. Perceptions are based on how you are raised and what other outlets you may have to shape your view points.

A white man and a black man both visit 10 stores.  Out of those 10 the white man is followed around 7 times.  However the white man isn't looking for this type of behavior from store owners because he is constantly told that it only happens to non whites, specifically blacks.  Since he isn't looking for it, he doesn't share this experience with anyone and the incidents are never spoken of.

The black man visits the same 10 stores.  He is only followed once out of 10.  Now because he is looking for it, he notices it, he doesn't notice the 9 stores that he wasn't followed around in.  He only noticed the 1 time he was.  He shares this experience with anyone and everyone.  This perpetuates the perception that black men are followed around in stores. 

I even added this extra nugget the last time as well.  The one store that followed the black guy, also followed the white guy as well.  The reason he followed the 2 guys was because he has found out that someone is stealing from his store and he is just staying extra vigilant.

However the perception that is further perpetuated is that blacks are followed around while whites are left alone. 

There are many factors involved in regards to being profiled, race may be one, but that doesn't mean it is the only one.

Another argument based on a figment of your imagination.

I am sooooooo impressed.

I am waiting for SN's next fairy tale where there are lots of people dying to give great jobs to black people, but blacks don't even try to get these jobs because they have been told they don't exist.  He can explain everything away with his imaginary stories.
(03-07-2016, 01:36 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Yep. Perceptions are based on how you are raised and what other outlets you may have to shape your view points.

Conjecture.  An opinion without evidence to support the conclusion.
Black privilege is every time the right proposes something, Dems try to block it by saying how much it will hurt minorities.

But seriously, first I don't like the word privilege because that implies that stopping people for the color of their skin is the norm, and not stopping them is a bonus.

I have been stopped for my skin color. I used to work until 1:00 am at Skyline, and I drove through a predominantly black neighborhood on my way home and was pulled over a couple of times. Now that's not the same as randomly pulling over a black person, it was based more on "white people aren't here at this time of night for any good reason."

In my head it's always socio-economic. If I'm walking down a street and see a black guy in khakis and a golf shirt, and a white guy with low hanging pants and a hoodie, I'm not giving the black guy a second look, but I am paying more attention to the white guy.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(03-07-2016, 10:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Another argument based on a figment of your imagination.

I am sooooooo impressed.

I am waiting for SN's next fairy tale where there are lots of people dying to give great jobs to black people, but blacks don't even try to get these jobs because they have been told they don't exist.  He can explain everything away with his imaginary stories.

So glad that I could impress you. 

Now instead of calling this scenario a fairy tale, how about we call it a possible reason for people developing their perception.

Or so you think a person being told something over and over their whole life has no effect on their perceptions?
(03-07-2016, 10:57 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Conjecture.  An opinion without evidence to support the conclusion.

There are plenty of studies done concerning the way people perceive the world around them. 

Feel free to do some research in the matter of you wish. 

Of course all I did was provide a theoretical situation to illustrate how people are raised can impact their views. 
(03-07-2016, 11:23 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: There are plenty of studies done concerning the way people perceive the world around them. 

Of course all I did was provide a theoretical situation to illustrate how people are raised can impact their views. 

Would this not also apply to those who "believe" that minorities get an unfair advantage when minority hiring practices are used?

Or say when someone is walking down the street at night and a group of people of the same color walks toward them vs a group of "other" people.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(03-07-2016, 11:20 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: Now instead of calling this scenario a fairy tale, how about we call it a possible reason for people developing their perception.

How about we don't until there is something to support your possible fact pattern other than your own biased imagination.  There have been plenty of studies that show minorities are treated differently by store security.  There have been empirical studies of stop-rates and proven false arrest claims that prove this.

I understand your theory, but it does not apply to what is happening in the real world.
(03-07-2016, 11:23 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: There are plenty of studies done concerning the way people perceive the world around them. 

Do you have data to support your numbers?  Do you have a study with data to support your theory?
(03-07-2016, 11:38 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Do you have data to support your numbers?  Do you have a study with data to support your theory?
I do, but feel free to do your own research on the topic. 

The topic is how perceptions are influenced by surrounding factors. Such as family, friends, school and media. 
(03-07-2016, 11:28 AM)GMDino Wrote: Would this not also apply to those who "believe" that minorities get an unfair advantage when minority hiring practices are used?

Or say when someone is walking down the street at night and a group of people of the same color walks toward them vs a group of "other" people.

Yes. It would. 
(03-07-2016, 11:33 AM)fredtoast Wrote: How about we don't until there is something to support your possible fact pattern other than your own biased imagination.  There have been plenty of studies that show minorities are treated differently by store security.  There have been empirical studies of stop-rates and proven false arrest claims that prove this.

I understand your theory, but it does not apply to what is happening in the real world.

Fred 

Defense attorneys do this all the time. They don't have to prove what happened, they only have to show other possibilities and alternatives to what happened. 

Again, do you or do you not think a person's perspective is influenced by what they are told to be true?