Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is "White Privledge"?
(03-06-2016, 12:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no guilt.

Admitting white privilege has nothing to do with guilt.  That is just the spin the white supremacist put on it to agitate the rubes.

Educate yourself.

Educate yourself.  For some white privilege leads to white guilt or is synonymous with it.

http://www.salon.com/2014/08/30/why_acknowledging_white_privilege_is_not_surrendering_to_white_guilt/
(03-05-2016, 11:52 PM)Vlad Wrote:  Then why don't rid yourself of some of that guilt? Disappear and we'll have one less white person.

Tone down the personal stuff or this board will have one less white person.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
(03-06-2016, 12:01 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I have no guilt.

Admitting white privilege has nothing to do with guilt.  That is just the spin the white supremacist put on it to agitate the rubes.

Educate yourself.

Perhaps you haven't read this yet, but the rest of the world is on to the SJWs, and learning how to silence them.

http://http://www.amazon.com/SJWs-Always-Lie-Taking-Thought-ebook/dp/B014GMBUR4
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(03-06-2016, 12:36 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I try to make it a point not to totally ignore minority groups when they claim something is an issue for them, even though I may not always agree with them.

Asinine is claiming that something doesn't exist and not even considering it because you haven't seen it or been directly effected by it. That is what a simpleton does.

And how does just merely acknowledging their issue help them?  It doesn't, it only makes you feel good about yourself....there's where your white privilege lies.

(03-06-2016, 01:17 AM)Vlad Wrote: And how does just merely acknowledging their issue help them?  It doesn't, it only makes you feel good about yourself....there's your white privilege lies.

Acknowledgement is only part of a process. Deciding what you can do to assist someone with a complaint (if anything) would be the next step.

As far as feeling good, people generally do feel better when they do something that is line with their personal values and ethos.
(03-06-2016, 12:39 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: Tone down the personal stuff or this board will have one less white person.

If you consider that "personal stuff", then I'll direct you to some personal stuff that isn't quite as petty.

Both StLucie, and Sovereign Nation throughout this forum are being dealt insults and personal stuff by several posters.
If you're truly concerned then you'll look into it.

The debates start out OK, but when the libs can't get those two to see things their way, it starts.
(03-05-2016, 06:27 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Okay, but that's not white privilege....that wouldn't exist if not for Affirmative Action. 

Or is it white people's fault that minorities want AA but are now mad at the easy to foresee consequences of it? 
Actually, affirmative action is a different conversation. And many studies have concluded that white women are the primary beneficiaries of it. 
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(03-06-2016, 01:53 AM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Actually, affirmative action is a different conversation. And many studies have concluded that white women are the primary beneficiaries of it. 

I agree it's a different conversation. 
Which is  why I took issue with it in the context used. 
(03-06-2016, 01:52 AM)Vlad Wrote: If you consider that "personal stuff", then I'll direct you to some personal stuff that isn't quite as petty.

Both StLucie, and Sovereign Nation throughout this forum are being dealt insults and personal stuff by several posters.

The debates start out OK, but when the libs can't get those two to see things their way, its starts.

I suppose that is "Moderator Privilege". Ninja

Lucie will tell you that I have stepped in on his behalf before and me and the other mods continue to watch for incidents or respond when they are reported. We are non-partisan, equal opportunity banners.

But that is not germane to the conversation at hand. Telling someone to "disappear", "go jump in a lake", "take a hike", etc. is stepping over the line from discussing a topic and views to taking something personal. That may have occurred in the past around here, but it will be no longer. Don't make things personal.
In the United States specifically, the government was established and run by white individuals for hundreds of years, during which the advantage to being a white citizen was so apparent and obvious that it wasn't even really observed at all by most. The concept of "White Privilege" is that we're still under a government and society that still represents the interests of white individuals over those of minorities, even though the "privilege" isn't to a degree in which it used to be. The concept makes sense to me personally, and I recognize that minorities don't get the same benefits from society on average as a white person does. I would hazard a guess that it varies a lot by location as well. What I mean by that is that I'm sure there is a lot more "white privilege" in the bible belt than perhaps a major metropolitan area further north. Regardless, I believe that as the older generations start retiring from positions of power in various institutions throughout the country, we'll see "white privilege" continue to noticeably diminish in our lifetimes.
(03-06-2016, 12:36 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I try to make it a point not to totally ignore minority groups when they claim something is an issue for them, even though I may not always agree with them.

Asinine is claiming that something doesn't exist and not even considering it because you haven't seen it or been directly effected by it. That is what a simpleton does.

There are winners and losers in every exchange. So technically depending on your POV the winners have the priv. Has zero to do with race or skin color. The winners have priv. Because they won.
(03-06-2016, 01:52 AM)Vlad Wrote: If you consider that "personal stuff", then I'll direct you to some personal stuff that isn't quite as petty.

The debates start out OK, but when the libs can't get those two to see things their way, its starts.

(03-06-2016, 02:09 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I suppose that is "Moderator Privilege". Ninja

Lucie will tell you that I have stepped in on his behalf before and me and the other mods continue to watch for incidents or respond when they are reported. We are non-partisan, equal opportunity banners.

But that is not germane to the conversation at hand. Telling someone to "disappear", "go jump in a lake", "take a hike", etc. is stepping over the line from discussing a topic and views to taking something personal. That may have occurred in the past around here, but it will be no longer. Don't make things personal.

Couple things....

1. Mods are ok. I don't blame them, it's the crybabies who constantly report posts who are the problem.

2. The reason some of these liberals get awag with insulting us Vlad is because we do not constantly report posts.

I do know If I treated others with the same language that I am often treated then I would get a 2 day vacation. I do think there is at times a seperate standard for myself vs others.
I've never been anything but white. I'm not sure I've ever had a "leg up" because I am so. I suppose if enough people told me I did have such a privilege I would believe it. Similarly if enough people told me I was at a disadvantage; there's a good chance I'd believe that as well.

As for me: I don't dwell on either. It is said: The greatest trick the Devil ever played was making folks believe he doesn't exist. I think many racists follow this M.O.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(03-06-2016, 02:31 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Couple things....  

1. Mods are ok.  I don't blame them, it's the crybabies who constantly report posts who are the problem.  

2. The reason some of these liberals get awag with insulting us Vlad is because we do not constantly report posts.  

I do know If I treated others with the same language that I am often treated then I would get a 2 day vacation.    I do think there is at times a seperate standard for myself vs others.

I must admit lucy gets no privilege around here for being white. Ninja
(03-06-2016, 02:39 AM)bfine32 Wrote: I've never been anything but white. I'm not sure I've ever had a "leg up" because I am so. I suppose if enough people told me I did have such a privilege I would believe it. Similarly if enough people told me I was at a disadvantage; there's a good chance I'd believe that as well.

As for me: I don't dwell on either. It is said: The greatest trick the Devil ever played was making folks believe he doesn't exist. I think many racists follow this M.O.

I have been saying something similar to this for a while.

That the perception that people have is influenced by what they are told.  Get something told to you repeatedly then it must be true, right?

As I have said before, there is Black Privilege, Asian Privilege, Hispanic Privilege, Middle Eastern Privilege and so on.  I refuse to acknowledge mine, until everyone else starts acknowledging theirs. 

TBPH- I actually don't care if anyone acknowledges their privilege, I just want them to shut up about mine.  As if I should be have something to be ashamed of while completely ignoring the advantages given to others and making them feel like they are entitled to their privileges.
I first learned that racial privileges existed when I was in 8th grade and our all-white Catholic school basketball team faced off against an all black, urban team in a scrimmage. I recall attempting a prayer of a shot that a guy who was nearly a foot taller than me jumped about 10 feet in the air to swat into the stands. I think at that point I turned to the coach and was just like "Why are we doing this?"

All I know is that if I can be in that situation and 100% believe that no matter how hard I practice, the fact that I was born shorter and whiter than that guy made engaging in competition all but pointless SURELY that situation could apply to other scenarios and races. I don't think any of us took the loss to be anything embarrassing because the excuse was "Sure we lost, but they're all black so what did you expect?"

I recall a buddy of mine asking a local yokel who won the high school football game and the guy said "Well, they had a colored kid running the ball." and that was all the explanation he needed to give. The way he said it it was like he was almost accusing the other team of cheating, or not cheating but breaking some rule of sportsmanship by bringing in a ringer who happened to be of this masterful athletic race.

Anyways, I've seen enough white people act like blacks are just born unfairly advantaged when it comes to sports to excuse blacks who want to gripe that being white has some real-life perks, too.
(03-06-2016, 02:50 AM)Sovereign Nation Wrote: I have been saying something similar to this for a while.

That the perception that people have is influenced by what they are told.  Get something told to you repeatedly then it must be true, right?

As I have said before, there is Black Privilege, Asian Privilege, Hispanic Privilege, Middle Eastern Privilege and so on.  I refuse to acknowledge mine, until everyone else starts acknowledging theirs. 

TBPH- I actually don't care if anyone acknowledges their privilege, I just want them to shut up about mine.  As if I should be have something to be ashamed of while completely ignoring the advantages given to others and making them feel like they are entitled to their privileges.

I agree. White is just one kind of privilege. Every race or ethnicity has it to some degree. You might even say that male and female privilege exists as well. I think that to some degree it is almost unavoidable, even if you are totally immersed in another race's area and culture. I don't think it is necessarily something to be ashamed of, just something to be aware of.

I don't really understand transgender individuals. And I probably can't without being transgender. Perhaps that is Non-transgender Privilege. I'm not ashamed of it. But I can see them as human beings and I can at least listen when they complain about being treated bad in society and take that complaint seriously. I can sympathize if I feel there is a legitimate complaint and/or injustice.
(03-06-2016, 03:58 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I agree. White is just one kind of privilege. Every race or ethnicity has it to some degree. You might even say that male and female privilege exists as well. I think that to some degree it is almost unavoidable, even if you are totally immersed in another race's area and culture. I don't think it is necessarily something to be ashamed of, just something to be aware of.

I don't really understand transgender individuals. And I probably can't without being transgender. Perhaps that is Non-transgender Privilege. I'm not ashamed of it. But I can see them as human beings and I can at least listen when they complain about being treated bad in society and take that complaint seriously. I can sympathize if I feel there is a legitimate complaint and/or injustice.

To paint broader strokes with what both of you were saying; because no person is  exactly alike another, then people will always have advantages over each other. And like you said you can extrapolate it out to groups/sexualities/race/nationality/religion/ect. ect. The list is endless because that's what makes the world diverse. If everyone had the exact same set of abilities/viewpoints/orientations/religions/ect. ect. then we would live an a pretty boring place. On the same note though, some of those advantages make a person really question what ethics are in the first place. Is it okay for one person to have better healthcare or better food or better shoes, ultimately simply because they were born to different people in different places at different times? 

I guess that's a semi-incoherent rant, but I think it comes down to humanity trying to balance our differences with our similarities and the real problem is that no one can even agree what a middle ground would be, much less start working to get there.
So it's an inconvenience, or the privilege of not being profiled because you DON'T FIT THE PROFILE...or maybe code for not having the ability or effort to be successful.

All I know is that, in my experience, making excuses for yourself or others tends not to do shit to improve anyone's situation.

There are a lot of mediocre and/or unsuccessful white people...perhaps it's time we start talking about "whiter privilege". That may not make sense. But, it does. To someone.
(03-06-2016, 03:58 AM)Bengalzona Wrote: I agree. White is just one kind of privilege. Every race or ethnicity has it to some degree. You might even say that male and female privilege exists as well. I think that to some degree it is almost unavoidable, even if you are totally immersed in another race's area and culture. I don't think it is necessarily something to be ashamed of, just something to be aware of.

This is true.

Yes even women have privileges that men do not.  As the saying goes "A lady's prerogative".  My biggest issue with it is the way it is presented.  The media presents mine as something that is dirty or to be ashamed of, while ignoring the perks and benefits that others get.

It is harder to see your own privileges just like it is harder to see other people's struggles.  All we have in our lives are our own experiences and our own interpretation of them.