Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is YOUR Top 10 Big Board after 8 players are already Drafted ? Here is mine
(04-25-2024, 05:53 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Yes. Within this locus of players, I believe him to be the BPA. 

If we were a 3-4 Defense I could see it.

Verse makes sense, same with Chop Robinson, but not Latu. He is more of a 3-4 End.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 06:18 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If we were a 3-4 Defense I could see it.

Verse makes sense, same with Chop Robinson, but not Latu. He is more of a 3-4 End.

Latu is 5 pounds heavier than both of them. I dunno. I don't think that the Steelers and Cowboys are looking back crying into their beer glass over taking Watt and Parsons. "Ohh boo hoo. I took Watt or Parsons when I should've taken Kalid Kareem. If only I would've drafted Cam Sample over Watt or Parsons maybe I'd be able to stop the run." Yeah right. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 07:10 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Latu is 5 pounds heavier than both of them. I dunno. I don't think that the Steelers and Cowboys are looking back crying into their beer glass over taking Watt and Parsons. "Ohh boo hoo. I took Watt or Parsons when I should've taken Kalid Kareem. If only I would've drafted Cam Sample over Watt or Parsons maybe I'd be able to stop the run." Yeah right. 

I get your point about drafting well on the defensive side of the ball, and not neglecting it by always going offense at the top. However, history shows that the Bengals have greater success by drafting offense at the top of the draft. Not sure if it's just that their scouting department is inept at judging talent outside of the skill positions or what, but it is what it is.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 07:10 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Latu is 5 pounds heavier than both of them. I dunno. I don't think that the Steelers and Cowboys are looking back crying into their beer glass over taking Watt and Parsons. "Ohh boo hoo. I took Watt or Parsons when I should've taken Kalid Kareem. If only I would've drafted Cam Sample over Watt or Parsons maybe I'd be able to stop the run." Yeah right. 

I don't think either of those guys had to retire for awhile due to neck injuries, though.
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 07:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I get your point about drafting well on the defensive side of the ball, and not neglecting it by always going offense at the top. However, history shows that the Bengals have greater success by drafting offense at the top of the draft. Not sure if it's just that their scouting department is inept at judging talent outside of the skill positions or what, but it is what it is.

Part of that can be scouting.  Coaching is another component.  Lou's scheme is pretty complicated and not really friendly to young players.  
Reply/Quote

If you think Latu is going to be Twatt or Parsons you are nutz, thanks Bilbo.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 02:21 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: If you think Latu is going to be Twatt or Parsons you are nutz, thanks Bilbo.  Mellow

That's not what I said nor is it my point. Latu was the first defensive player to be drafted in 2024. His detractors are people who know nothing about spine and neck injuries.  

My point is that if a team refuses to draft a DE who doesn't look like Carlos Dunlap, they will never draft a Robert Mathis, a Bruce Smith, a Lawrence Taylor, etc. Sit back and watch as Latu puts up more sacks as a rookie than Sam Hubbard has in the best year of his career. 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2024, 04:48 PM)CJD Wrote: If I assume those 8 are off the board, my top 10 list would be:

Quinyon Mitchell
Brock Bowers
Taliese Fuaga
Olu Fashanu
Amarius Mims
Johnny Newton
Byron Murphy
JC Latham
Troy Fautanu (If the coaches believe he can stick at tackle and can transition from LT to RT).
Terrion Arnold

I know it's weird to see a CB at the top of our board, but I think Mitchell has lock down super star #1 Revis Island level potential. He hits literally every metric. Perfect height and weight (6'0", 195 lbs), speed (4.33 40), Athleticism (9.78 RAS), elite production (91.5 PFF grade, 6 career INT, 3 of which were pick sixes, 51.1 and 34.8 passer ratings allowed in the last two years, most incompletions forced in all of FBS the past two seasons), he doesn't miss many tackles (9.8% missed tackle rate, which is 10th best in the entire class) and he had an exceptional Senior Bowl where he was clearly the best player there.

For all these reasons, it would be idiotic if he were still there and even more idiotic if we didn't take him.

Bowers speaks for himself. A weapon that would revolutionize this offense. It would also be shocking if he were there at 18.

Fuaga is the best RT prospect in this draft, in my opinion. He's got the power, balance and size without looking overly sluggish in pass protection. 0 sacks allowed and only 5 hits allowed in 734 career pass block snaps. His main weakness is his arms are 1" too short for some people to consider him a guaranteed tackle prospect (34"). He just seems like exactly what we need.

Fashanu is also elite as a pass blocker, but he's worse than Fuaga as a run blocker. He also has the added factor of being a LT who will have to move to RT. And we are all collectively scarred by Jackson Carman, so he falls right behind Fuaga.

Mims is the final OT I'd take over the 2 DTs, and it's because he has the size and speed combination that should not exist. I don't think he has any fat on his body. "Sculpted by the Gods" kind of body. And his play reflects that, giving up 0 sacks and 0 hits, with only 6 hurries (Fuaga allowed 18 hurries) in 402 career pass blocking snaps. Now, obviously 402 and 734 are far apart, which is why Mims is down here, but if Mims had another 5 to 10 career games under his belt at the same production, he'd be a top 10 pick guaranteed, so I see this as a bargain opportunity.

Newton = Atkins and I don't care if that's reductive.

Murphy = Atkins kind of and I don't care if that's reductive. Give me pass rushing DTs that can hold up in the run game and I'm a happy fan.

Latham and Fautanu have kind of opposite problems. Latham is big and strong and anchors well against power rushers, but may struggle with speed rushers. Fautanu is athletic enough for the fast pass rushers but may struggle with anchor against stronger pass rushers. Fautanu also has the LT to RT transition anxiety that Jackson Carman created in Bengals fans.

And then Arnold is a similar prospect to Mitchell regarding the potential to be a true shut down corner, with the exception of speed, where he had a non-ideal 4.50 40. Everything else about his profile is fantastic though and either one would complete our CB room.

Other than the obvious Mitchell availability (Maybe playing for the MAC hurt him more than I thought?), the draft went just about exactly how I hoped it would.

And with Newton still on the board at the beginning of the 2nd round, the Bengals have the opportunity to trade up and take him.

I don't think they will, because they're the Bengals and they covet their picks, but with 9 picks in the next 6 rounds, maybe they make an exception, cuz no way are 10 rookies making the roster.

If we could swing our comp 3rd round pick to move up to the top of the 2nd round and nab Newton, I wouldn't even care what we did for the rest of the weekend haha.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 03:14 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: That's not what I said nor is it my point. Latu was the first defensive player to be drafted in 2024. His detractors are people who know nothing about spine and neck injuries.  

My point is that if a team refuses to draft a DE who doesn't look like Carlos Dunlap, they will never draft a Robert Mathis, a Bruce Smith, a Lawrence Taylor, etc. Sit back and watch as Latu puts up more sacks as a rookie than Sam Hubbard has in the best year of his career. 

Agree with that, we shouldn't be drafting Ends because of their body type. We should be drafting them for their pass rushing and overall skills.

Just not a big fan of Latu and the neck injury, I would of been concerned if we picked him.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2024, 09:09 AM)CJD Wrote: Other than the obvious Mitchell availability (Maybe playing for the MAC hurt him more than I thought?), the draft went just about exactly how I hoped it would.

And with Newton still on the board at the beginning of the 2nd round, the Bengals have the opportunity to trade up and take him.

I don't think they will, because they're the Bengals and they covet their picks, but with 9 picks in the next 6 rounds, maybe they make an exception, cuz no way are 10 rookies making the roster.

If we could swing our comp 3rd round pick to move up to the top of the 2nd round and nab Newton, I wouldn't even care what we did for the rest of the weekend haha.

All for trading up and drafting Newton. 
Reply/Quote