Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a "WHIT WORTH?
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/22/15011906/nfl-execs-weigh-in-on-bengals-free-agency-decisions
Reply/Quote
I think a few of you fellow fans need to get back in off the ledge...Seems the gates of hell haven't opened up due to a couple of departures.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 01:07 PM)Air Force 1 Wrote: http://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/3/22/15011906/nfl-execs-weigh-in-on-bengals-free-agency-decisions

I read this same thing and cant argue with their method...
Reply/Quote
I like the thread name lol rep to you

As far as whit goes, I understand not wanting to pay a lot on a 2-3 year deal but would have been willing to overpay to keep him around for one year. Since the Bengals don't like cutting players or having dead money I thought they should have tagged him just to give us some hope for this year. Don't care if it's an overpay because it's just one year and there was plenty of cap space to do it
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
"A pro director thought Whitworth's departure was overrated by fans and media who mistook him for an elite tackle instead of simply a competent tackle."

See that right there ^

THAT is my problem.

No. The majority did not think Whitworth was elite.  He did grade high though.  So there's that.

They simply saw how shitty and suck ass most of the line was, and that losing the guy who was competent for Andy's blindside without a solid replacement was a misjudgement on the coaches/teams part.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 01:08 PM)Air Force 1 Wrote: I think a few of you fellow fans need to get back in off the ledge...Seems the gates of hell haven't opened up due to a couple of departures.

I get what they're saying. Not wanting to pay z all time high money is one thing. Whatever they thought his market value was had to be in the range of Lang, Leary and warford. Perhaps they didn't see them as worth the amounts they got either. So their plan b is to bring in an oft injured retread who has never played guard before. To go with first time starters at both tackle spots. Surrounding a center that is average, at best. At least bringing Andre back was better than nothing.

(03-23-2017, 04:20 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I like the thread name lol rep to you

As far as whit goes, I understand not wanting to pay a lot on a 2-3 year deal but would have been willing to overpay to keep him around for one year. Since the Bengals don't like cutting players or having dead money I thought they should have tagged him just to give us some hope for this year. Don't care if it's an overpay because it's just one year and there was plenty of cap space to do it

Exactly this. 1 year on a tag doesn't kill the bengals. I hope ced is ready
Reply/Quote
I feel cheated, the article says NFL execs, and there were only the thoughts of one exec. Did all of the others see it differently, or was this the only guy wiling to give a semi serious comment?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

With the way the Rams set up the contract, if Whitworth's performance suddenly falls off a cliff and they release him after one season they pay less than the cost of the transition tag (including dead money.)
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 09:51 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: With the way the Rams set up the contract, if Whitworth's performance suddenly falls off a cliff and they release him after one season they pay less than the cost of the transition tag (including dead money.)

Yep and that is smart, but we know the bengals won't set up a contract that way unfortunately 
Reply/Quote
Bengal caller just called into NFL Radio complaining about Cincy letting Whit go. Pat Kirwan said he has a very reliable source and wouldn't cite it otherwise. He said the Bengals offered basically the same deal as LA; it's just Whit wanted a change of scenery.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 06:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bengal caller just called into NFL Radio complaining about Cincy letting Whit go. Pat Kirwan said he has a very reliable source and wouldn't cite it otherwise. He said the Bengals offered basically the same deal as LA; it's just Whit wanted a change of scenery.

Hobson wrote the Bengals were "hesitant" to offer Whitworth a multi year contract. A three year deal vs. a one year deal aren't basically the same.

The Bengals claimed they "basically" offered Joeseph, Jones, and, Whitworth the same deal. I have a hard time believing all three took the same deal to play for a worse team.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 06:46 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Hobson wrote the Bengals were "hesitant" to offer Whitworth a multi year contract. A three year deal vs. a one year deal aren't basically the same.

The Bengals claimed they "basically" offered Joeseph, Jones, and, Whitworth the same deal. I have a hard time believing all three took the same deal to play for a worse team.

Just reporting what Kirwan said. You can go with Hobson or Kirwan. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

This says it all for me. Agree with everything stated.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 06:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Bengal caller just called into NFL Radio complaining about Cincy letting Whit go. Pat Kirwan said he has a very reliable source and wouldn't cite it otherwise. He said the Bengals offered basically the same deal as LA; it's just Whit wanted a change of scenery.

For the record, Kirwan's source was also listening and texted him that info during the call.  Based on how he said it, my interpretation was that the source was Whit's agent.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to miss Whit. He was a class act as a Bengals player. I wish we could have overpaid him for a 1 year deal.
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2017, 04:12 PM)magikod Wrote: I'm going to miss Whit. He was a class act as a Bengals player. I wish we could have overpaid him for a 1 year deal.

:andy: exactly right.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2017, 08:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Just reporting what Kirwan said. You can go with Hobson or Kirwan. 

I like Pat Kirwin, definitely gonna miss Whit

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote