Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is our biggest need in the draft?
(12-19-2017, 03:51 AM)CornerBlitz Wrote: QB.

We know you hate the guy....but our left tackle is the worst in the league....our center is about 2 up from last....we haven't covered the middle of the field since Reagan was in office...and you see this as the biggest need?  Hopefully there's a tinge of sarcasm there.  QB may be a need....but not even close to the biggest.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Offensive line and linebackers: Anything else is a wasted pick.
Exactly ! I'd add Safety to that mix also.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:38 PM)Andy2AJ Wrote: I'm your opinion what is our biggest need on draft day? Assuming we get a coach that is allowed to draft the guys he wants without Mikey screwing it up. Hopefully, he gives him the keys to the lumina, and allow him to sign free agents as well. I tried to make this a poll question, but when I select poll. Nothing changes, much like the bungles.

1. Offensive tackle- ced sucks and the justly is still out on fisher he could be the answer but probably not. Plus we could possibly sign a fa and draft a center late to get rid of bodine.

2. Cornerback- Jackson dre and denard look fine but paceman is 34 and can no longer play the way he used to. If we get the right trade for mccarron we could draft one in the 2nd or 3rd round

3. De I like johnson, but dude is getting old and has lost a step he's a great player but he rarely gets pressure on the we anymore

4. Safety- sure iloka is good but he could really use some help. When we had n loan out secondary was dominant. Iloka is more of the help guy rather than the man we could use another great safety

5. Quarterback- yes I know we have 3 time pro bowler Mandy but this is a qb heavy draft and we will have a top 10 pick. If the right guy is there you draft him. Mandy will get his chances to prove he's still the guy but a new head coach will not let him sit there and throw bad pass after bad pass like he's continued to do. He's a great guy but that doesn't translate to a winning qb. I know it's not all his fault because our line blows but if would be nice to have a qb in waiting so if Mandy doesn't play to expectations you go to the next guy.

6. Wide receiver- I know we have 50 of them but we gotta see what ross brings to the table. I'm not ready to label him a bust yet but whatever coach comes in has to get him on the field and see what he can do. Lafell is not the answer neither is Boyd. It's yet to be determined what will happen with eiffert the only way he will be resigned is if it's for a box of cracker jacks. He it will take him a while to get back to his old self. Kraft is serviceable but maybe you let eiffert walk and take a te/we in rounds 4-7 we found Marvin Jones in round 5 and he wasn't too bad.

All that said my bengal friends what do we need to draft first assuming we do the norm and nothing I'm fa. I am optimistic that the new coach will have more leeway as he will demand things like that if Mikey wants a good coach. What are your thoughts about what we need and do you agree or disagree and is there a snowballs chance in hell Mikey will allow the new head coach to actually call the shots? In Mikey's open letter to the fans he said he will do what it takes to win, will he stand by that?

We really need:

-2 Tackles
-1 Guard
-1 Center
-2 LB's
-WR2
-DT next to Atkins
-Possibly TE

With Atkins, Dunlap, Johnson, and Dennard free agents following the season, the Bengals could look to draft their replacement.

Yeah...but we're a new coach away from a Super Bowl run!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 10:42 AM)John Shaft Wrote: Exactly ! I'd add Safety to that mix also.

Agreed......we're sorely lacking a ball hawk safety.

Reply/Quote
4 of the 5 offensive line positions.
[Image: 85d8232ebbf088d606250ddec1641e7b.jpg]
Reply/Quote
completely awful offensive line and completely awful linebacker group.

average to below average safeties.

This mess cannot be fixed just by the draft.

They need to sign at least one premium free agent either on o-line or a linebacker.  One of each would be best. Some great player coming off his first contract at center or linebacker would be great.

This team is a complete wreck right now- both in leadership and talent.
Reply/Quote
(12-18-2017, 11:44 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Offensive line and linebackers: Anything else is a wasted pick.

Good Post
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 10:48 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We really need:

-2 Tackles
-1 Guard
-1 Center
-2 LB's
-WR2
-DT next to Atkins
-Possibly TE

With Atkins, Dunlap, Johnson, and Dennard free agents following the season, the Bengals could look to draft their replacement.

Yeah...but we're a new coach away from a Super Bowl run!  Hilarious

Haven't seen anyone anywhere say that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 12:16 AM)lone bengal Wrote: Offensive line hands down.  We have one decent O-linemen in Boilng , we basically need 4 new starters. I doubt we sign any decent free agents, plus the free agent Tackle class is horrible.  The scary thing is the Bengals need to fill a ton of holes on their roster solely through the draft because they barely use free agency so we will need almost  immediate impacts from this years rookie class to fill those holes.  Tough to fill all these needs through one draft. ( Bengals draft needs)   Right Tackle, Left Tackle, Center, Right Guard, Tight End, Number 2 and number 3 wide receiver who can get open , Defensive end , Nose Tackle , 3 linebackers I say 3 because are only good one Burfict is always one hit away from a 10 game plus suspension, and a safety that can actually cover and make plays on the ball, Kicker maybe ? don't really trust Bullock.  Also by the time we develop some of our young players, guys like Dunlap, Atkins will be free agents and getting older.  I see a long rebuild for the Bengals ahead no quick turn around.
We CERTAINLY need O-Line.  I'd HOPE someone "wakes the hell up" maybe even thrives at another position.
Eifort and McCarron can escape as FA. Hill too.   Safety? Yeah, I'd like a Ronnie Lott.. but the O-Line is a bigger need.
WR?   Well.....We DID draft a guy who did VERY well in college and is the fastest guy in the NFL. O-Liner fails limit our passing,running.  We will NOT draft a kicker.  We'll fish for LB depth later in the draft.

I LIKE Billy Price as C but.... our rather high rd 2 seems right. Centers seldom go rd 1.  I'd HOPE Bodine or Ced or Fisher can  either  GET GOOD or maybe do well moved to G.   You can't have a handfull  of guys you'd used a rd 1-2-3 on who you just give up on.

We're okay on the D Line.  The Ship sailed on Trading McCarron.  We MIGHT use a low pick on a backup Q but more likely would be a FA.  We even need a backup RB.  We gave up on Hill. Too bad we don't still have Burkhead.

Drafting O-Line?   Mostly..lwatching at home on TV you can't get enough info. There's a FEW guys who CAN stand out, but on the average scouts  SEE games live and break down a lot of film.    Positions where you gets stats, have open field, big plays... I can spot talent. 

Any given year I might notice a couple O-Line guys I can assume will matter. Just a few are "sure thing".

A FACTOR.........we likely have a LOT of NEW COACHES.  IF.....we get a better coach wherever... it COULD make  some existing players a lot better.
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 11:43 AM)bengals67 Wrote: completely awful offensive line and completely awful linebacker group.

average to below average safeties.

This mess cannot be fixed just by the draft.

They need to sign at least one premium free agent either on o-line or a linebacker.  One of each would be best. Some great player coming off his first contract at center or linebacker would be great.

This team is a complete wreck right now- both in leadership and talent.

Has to be line. They've totally whiffed on signing LBs (Hawk, Dansby, Minter have not been very good). Would much rather a talent/youth movement there. Hopefully grab a LB in the second round, but wouldn't be upset if it was the first, either.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 12:34 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: 1. Center
2. Offensive Tackle
3. Quarterback
4. Offensive Guard
5. Linebacker
6. Tight End
7. Safety
8. Cornerback
9. Kicker
10. Defensive End
11. Defensive Tackle
12. Wide Receiver
13. Running Back
14/15/16. Fullback/Punter/Long Snapper

"..." indicating a large gap between the needs.

Pretty much this, although I would swap QB and LB and put Safety in that same group. Also think DT is higher on the pecking order than DE in this draft.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
1. New owner
2. Gm with some authority to run things
3. New head coach
4. New scout
5-10. Same as 4

Then we can address positions on the team

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 01:06 AM)Utts Wrote: I agree. But I wouldn’t be too upset if the right QB presented himself.

Very true
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 08:58 AM)Wyche Wrote: We know you hate the guy....but our left tackle is the worst in the league....our center is about 2 up from last....we haven't covered the middle of the field since Reagan was in office...and you see this as the biggest need?  Hopefully there's a tinge of sarcasm there.  QB may be a need....but not even close to the biggest.

There may be a tinge of sarcasm but the point is that we need to upgrade the QB position. O Line is obviously junk as well. I know you rated our o-line to which i agree with, but here's some food for thought, Dalton is ranked 28th in QBR this season among starting quarterbacks. 
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 03:03 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: There may be a tinge of sarcasm but the point is that we need to upgrade the QB position. O Line is obviously junk as well. I know you rated our o-line to which i agree with, but here's some food for thought, Dalton is ranked 28th in QBR this season among starting quarterbacks. 

I'm all for improving the QB position......but it's more a symptom than a cause at the moment.

Reply/Quote
OL, LB, or DT.

If there's a new coach who wants a true ball hawk difference maker at safety over Williams and Iloka, I can see that too.
I can also see QB if new coach wants to move on from Dalton/McCarron.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Someone that understands the difference between the draft forum and Jungle noise.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
O Line without a doubt.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote
To answer the question while not being an ass. We need a 3 down LB, a center, a guard, two Offensive Tackles, 3 technique Defensive tackle, a playmaking safety, and a Defensive End. By the way you can draft any of these positions in the first and I would be happy. Personally I hope we address these positions in free agency.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-19-2017, 03:03 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: Dalton is ranked 28th in QBR this season among starting quarterbacks. 

But, Dalton is ranked 21st in the much more objective and non-bulshit NFL QB rating among QBs who've thrown at least 200 passes this season. Not much better, to be sure, but it at least it's not hinged upon one of the most bullshittiest bullshit statistical category.

Interestingly enough, Dalton is tied for 10th in the league in TD passes thrown. 

With that said, I'm not opposed to drafting a QB; as long as the potential of said QB is BETTER than Dalton.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote