Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is your bare minimum FA scenario?
Let's go realistic here and say you get to keep ONE between Whit, Dre K and Zeitler.

You also get to sign one B and one C level FA. Typically they sign cut FA's. Use your judgement but something like a solid starter and an average one.

That or if you want to scrap that scenario all together, what do you feel comfortable coming out of FA. Comfortable meaning it isn't ideal, and you aren't satisfied....but you aren't shaking your head every time you try to fill out a mock draft.
Reply/Quote
I would say the bare minimum is signing Whit and Dre. If they lose either one of those, they would have to bring in a veteran FA from elsewhere to replace and I would hate that scenario.

I have been the minority that didn't want to pay Zeitler what he will likely get on the open market, as there are quite a few guards in the draft that I like a great deal that I believe can start right away.

My dream is that if they let Zeitler go, sign Whit and Dre, they use the savings on Zeitler vs. draft pick and sign a weapon like Terrelle Pryor. Taking my dream one step further: release Adam Jones and sign Prince Amukamura.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 05:04 AM)phil413 Wrote: Let's go realistic here and say you get to keep ONE between Whit, Dre K and Zeitler.

You also get to sign one B and one C level FA.  Typically they sign cut FA's.  Use your judgement but something like a solid starter and an average one.

That or if you want to scrap that scenario all together, what do you feel comfortable coming out of FA.  Comfortable meaning it isn't ideal, and you aren't satisfied....but you aren't shaking your head every time you try to fill out a mock draft.

I want them all.  Our secondary doesn't need to get any weaker, and our O line is going to be disastrous without Whit and Heitler. (Damn it Zeitler keeps autocorrecting to Heitler.)
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2017, 05:04 AM)phil413 Wrote: Let's go realistic here and say you get to keep ONE between Whit, Dre K and Zeitler.

You also get to sign one B and one C level FA.  Typically they sign cut FA's.  Use your judgement but something like a solid starter and an average one.

That or if you want to scrap that scenario all together, what do you feel comfortable coming out of FA.  Comfortable meaning it isn't ideal, and you aren't satisfied....but you aren't shaking your head every time you try to fill out a mock draft.

I would keep Whitworth.  I think Og or Fisher will step up and be able to handle one T spot, but asking for both to step up is unrealistic.  If they both have great camps, you can always kick Whit to LG and slide Bolling to RG to replace Zeitler.

For FA's, I would go with Mychal Kendricks and Andre Smith.  Kendricks fell out of favor last year in Philly, but he was a solid starter for 4 years and we need an upgrade athletically for our LB corps.  Smith is a known quality and provides insurance at RT, plus could possibly start at RG if needed.
Reply/Quote
Bare minimum for me is two of the big three. I can deal with Whit leaving if it means keeping Z and vice versa. The loss of Whit would likely cause a lot more damage in the short term, but signing Z addresses a position for the next 5 years. Wash.

Beyond that, my expectations are extremely low. I'm not super high on Burkhead. I think he's just a guy, TBH. Won't be mad either way with him. LaFell would be a good player to re-sign, but I'd like to see a speed receiver targeted in the draft or FA.

I hope to hell that they do not extend turd players like Scrodine or Rey Maualuga to soak up cap money. I also hope that Peko is not brought back. Same for Hunt.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 02:10 AM)samhain Wrote: Bare minimum for me is two of the big three.  I can deal with Whit leaving if it means keeping Z and vice versa.  The loss of Whit would likely cause a lot more damage in the short term, but signing Z addresses a position for the next 5 years.  Wash.

Beyond that, my expectations are extremely low.  I'm not super high on Burkhead.  I think he's just a guy, TBH.  Won't be mad either way with him.  LaFell would be a good player to re-sign, but I'd like to see a speed receiver targeted in the draft or FA.  

I hope to hell that they do not extend turd players like Scrodine or Rey Maualuga to soak up cap money.  I also hope that Peko is not brought back.  Same for Hunt.
i was with you up until the peko thing. I would rather cut sims and resign peko as a backup to a 1 year 2 million deal. Again as a backup, not a starter. 
Reply/Quote
I'd say Kirkpatrick or Amakamura at CB. Whitworth at Tackle. Stefan Wisienewski at C is my C Level guy.

Then...Ronald Leary at Guard.

Line (in no particular order) would be Whitworth, Leary, Wisienewski, Boling, and Fisher. I think we'd actually be upgraded and able to run the ball.

I'd talk to a guy like Robert Woods to see what he'd cost. He really broke out in Buffalo and was buried on their depth chart. He's only 24. (I wouldn't be surprised if the Bengals looked at Michael Floyd, Kendall Wright, Cordarelle Patterson, and Brian Quick too. Some of those guys would be ok signings.)

I'd also retain Lafell (pending a guy like Woods), Burkhead, and Peerman. I'd waive Maualuga with the drafting of Foster.

I'd take a look at Nick Fairley too as he's been signing 1 year deals. A rotation of Atkins, Fairley, and Billings would be pretty sweet. I'd also look at Andre Smith who may have extremely low value around the league and who knows...may be had for 1 year $3 million? If his value is that low, I might sign him too.

For the draft, I'd go Fournetet/Cook or Foster. I'm kind of leaning towards Foster as I'm seeing him being compared to Kuechly/Patrick Willis. That would transform our defense. RB's typically play at a high level for 8 years. A LB could play at a Pro Bowl level for 10-12+ years. That's why he'd be my pick.
Reply/Quote
whit and some serious free agents like someone to replace Bodine if they do not sign Z.

I don't want to pay top dollar for Dre K. He is an above average CB not a shutdown and is poor at tackling. He commits a lot of penalties.

Foster would be great but I think we need an edge rusher more than a MLB.  If they draft Foster then they should try to sign the best FA edge rusher.

I world accept losing Dre k and Z if they signed the best center FA and the best edge rusher FA and drafted Foster.

If I was Whit I would go to Denver no latter what Bengals offer.

A bad result is paying big money to Dre K and not signing Whit, Z, a Bodine replacement and an edge rusher. So this is what will happen.
Reply/Quote
Keep one? Whitworth

"B"-tier FA that is a solid starter = Terrance Williams or re-sign LaFell
"C"-tier that is an average starter = Byron Bell

This scenario would be "bare minimum" for me.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 02:11 PM)bengals67 Wrote: whit and some serious free agents like someone to replace Bodine if they do not sign Z.

I don't want to pay top dollar for Dre K. He is an above average CB not a shutdown and is poor at tackling. He commits a lot of penalties.

Foster would be great but I think we need an edge rusher more than a MLB.  If they draft Foster then they should try to sign the best FA edge rusher.

I world accept losing Dre k and Z if they signed the best center FA and the best edge rusher FA and drafted Foster.

If I was Whit I would go to Denver no latter what Bengals offer.

A bad result is paying big money to Dre K and not signing Whit, Z, a Bodine replacement and an edge rusher. So this is what will happen.

You can't do that. You could if the draft were before FA, but it's not. If you wait to address the edge after you draft Foster, you're going to have a poor group of FAs to pick from.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 02:17 PM)ochocincos Wrote: You can't do that. You could if the draft were before FA, but it's not. If you wait to address the edge after you draft Foster, you're going to have a poor group of FAs to pick from.

Yeah...and edge rushers tend to get paid huge in free agency. I doubt that we'll add one. That's a premium position.

I think Foster has the highest ceiling and lowest floor.

Fournette or Cook would look great behind a rebuilt line though too.
Reply/Quote
Bring back captain Kirk. He won't get tip top CB money. Nothing would piss me off more than spending all these first round picks on CB and then having weak CBs.

Resign Rex. I don't think he will be that expensive. It is a loaded RB draft class. Unless Zimmer or Gruden come calling I think he stays. My biggest worry is Zimmer luring him to the Vikings.

Sign Datone Jones DE from the Packers. First the mold of first round bust that we have had some luck with.

But most importantly move on from Winston, Gilberry, Maualuga, and Peerman.
Reply/Quote
My minimum would be 2 outta the big 3. Hopefully Rex too, depending on his demands. Too early to see about other cuts.

What I would like to see is jabaal sheard to replace hunt and/or gilburry or Clark. Warford or Leary to replace big z. I think any good f/a guard will be priced out of our market.

I would add cutting pac man, not resigning dre and going for Gilmore, but that's a side note.

It looks like Trumaine Johnson was tagged by the Rams so he's off the board.

Stills is rumored to be seeking 12 mil per year and probably gets it
Reply/Quote
Bare minimum?

Whit is back. Warmack or a decent Guard to replace Zeitler. Bring back Burkhead.

Let Peko, Maualuga go somewhere else please and draft a DT and a LB afterward.

That is my bare minimum.
Reply/Quote
Zeitler. QB protection is crucial.
Reply/Quote