Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What is your earliest Bengals memory?
(03-29-2023, 11:01 PM)Synric Wrote: Did you live in Market? 

We were much more of a College Football family when I was a kid. I'm still a massive WVU guy even if Neal Brown is killing them. My dad was a Bengals fan but we didn't live in market so we only got to see 2 or 3 Bengals games a year. My Bengals fandom was a slow burn into adulthood when I got access to alot more games. 

Nah, always been a Wyoming boy which makes so many always question why?

Why Cincinnati? LMAO!!!  Hilarious

I don't even know, just loved the helmets, then loved the way Boomer Esiason, Munoz, Icky Woods, Krumrie and Fulcher played.

Took around till Corey Dillon showed up to get interested again, then Marv and Carson and of course Chad and Housh.

I do like WVU as a team, wanted Tavon Austin who never showed what I thought he would. 
Reply/Quote
Ken Anderson came to visit our school in the late 70's. That's when I became a fan. But lost interest in the 90's until the Bengals got decent again.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 05:09 PM)George Cantstandya Wrote: The year was 1978 and I had no responsibilities.  I just hung out, ate what was provided and chilled out.  Little did I know those easy times would come to an end.  One day I was sleeping soundly in my warm comfortable bath and suddenly I felt something pushing me away.   Not long after lots of bright lights and for the first time I could hear clearly.  What I heard was,  "Congratulations it's a boy and he's going to be a Bengals fan."    :)
Post of the year!

My first memories are of hearing that Cincinnati was getting a pro football team and wondering how that would affect my beloved Browns.  Please don't judge me, I grew up in the late 50's and 60's watching Cleveland games.  I actually maintained my Browns fandom for that first year.  But Cook to Trumpy, Paul Robinson ("The Cactus Comet"), and of course my man Speedy won me over.  I used to ride my Honda up Rt. 22 and watch the Bengals training camp at Wilmington College.  Another great memory was attending the first football game at Riverfront with my dad.  Jess Phillips took a draw play (which of course Paul Brown invented) 80 yards and the Bengals upset the Raiders.

Great thread.
Reply/Quote
Got a game ball and tix from Gary Burley. Went to my first game in '78 where the Bengals whooped the Falcons (who were in the playoff hunt at the time) 37-7. Just recently found that game on youtube and it was pretty cool to watch and know i was in the EZ seats as a 12 yr old. 

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Jon Kitna the year before Carson was drafted.

The earliest memory that isn’t a blur is Palmer being injured against Pittsburg. I still haven’t forgotten the exact way Carson folded down.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
It was probably in 1971 at a church dinner where they showed a video about the Bengals' 1970 season and how great it was that they'd made the playoffs in only their third year.  I was 10 years old and when I played flag football the following fall I really wanted the "Bengals" team to pick me but instead I went to the "Bears."

Then I remember really wanting to get the Bengals miniature helmet out of the gumball machines that had them at the grocery store.  Never managed to get it until my parents got me the whole AFC set out of the Sears catalog.

[Image: 64vpk-1473448026-embed-nfl70s_minihelmets.jpg]

It wasn't until 1975 that I started trying to follow all the games. A lot of times I had to listen on the radio. I remember listening to a night game with Phil Samp doing play by play as I tried and failed to stay awake.
Reply/Quote
I had been to a few Reds games at Crosley Field in the late 60's. And by 1970, with the era of the Big Red Machine beginning, was heavily into the Reds. My parents always took us kids to Florida around Xmas time...couple weeks with the grandma....and at that time I remember watching the Bengals play the Dolphins in a playoff game. That was 1973. So that puts me at that time around 12 years old.... and that makes me about 50 years a Bengal fan this year.
Reply/Quote
I grew up in a small town called Sabina, about 11 miles East of Wilmington (they used to have training camp in Wilmington). Anyways, in the early to mid 70's they came to Sabina to play our school faculty in basketball. I got a handful of autographs of which I now have none. I knew they played pro football but not much more than that. Later as a teenager, I'd watch some games rooting for them as the home team. When they went to their first Superbowl, that's when I got hooked. And yes I remember the dreadful 90's teams. It is so refreshing to see them continue down their current path.
Reply/Quote
With the 1st selection of the 2003 NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select…Carson Palmer, quarterback, USC.
Reply/Quote
The Freezer Bowl...
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 04:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Guess you aren't that young, 10 years younger than me though. Sucked for me as we sucked throughout the entire 90's pretty much 
and into the early 00's. Wasn't until we got Carson Palmer in that Draft with Marv that I thought we had a chance again. Then even 
more heartbreak happened in 7 consecutive playoff games.

Good times now, 5 Playoff wins in 2 years...WTF?!!!  Shocked

I swear, you and I have the same memories! The '90s was brutal.

Some of the picks:
Alfred Williams - leaves and goes on to win Super Bowls (He's hilarious, I lived in CO for awhile and he hosted radio sports talk)
Klingler - Bust (He went fishing alright!)
Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson - bust for Round 1, #1
Ki-Jana - injured and it sucked
Willie - SWEET, HoF worthy
Reinard Wilson - NOT SWEET
Takeo and Simmons - I loved that draft
Akili - I was pumped, shows I don't know anything
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 11:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nah, always been a Wyoming boy which makes so many always question why?

Broncos nation must wonder what the hell you're doing!  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Tim Krumrie breaking his leg in the Super Bowl. My Dad was crushed.

My first memory as a real fan was probably one of Jeff Blake's games. I remember the Bengals crushing the Steelers 27-9 in 1995.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I remember watching a few games in the 72 season particularly the Bears game and the Oilers game that they won 61-17 I believe. I started paying attention in 73 they were 4-4 then won 6 in row and made the playoffs and lost to the Dolphins
Reply/Quote
My earliest vivid memory is being at Riverfront Stadium in 1980 with my father to watch the Bengals score 17 4th quarter points to beat the Steelers 30-28. The atmosphere was electric, my father was ecstatic and I was basically hooked for life.
Reply/Quote
Listening to the 1982 Super Bowl on the radio with my dad in our kitchen. I don't remember much because I was 5, but I remember it happening.
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2023, 12:13 AM)samhain Wrote: Listening to the 1982 Super Bowl on the radio with my dad in our kitchen.  I don't remember much because I was 5, but I remember it happening.

Good old Phil Samp. He passed away a few years ago.
Reply/Quote
Being at my grandma's watching the super bowl in 88/89 and liking the color orange and Ohio.
Reply/Quote
I remember when I went to the Freezer Bowl, before I was born, with the other 700,000 Bengals fans that were in attendance for that game.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 09:37 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I swear, you and I have the same memories! The '90s was brutal.

Some of the picks:
Alfred Williams - leaves and goes on to win Super Bowls (He's hilarious, I lived in CO for awhile and he hosted radio sports talk)
Klingler - Bust (He went fishing alright!)
Big Daddy Dan Wilkinson - bust for Round 1, #1
Ki-Jana - injured and it sucked
Willie - SWEET, HoF worthy
Reinard Wilson - NOT SWEET
Takeo and Simmons - I loved that draft
Akili - I was pumped, shows I don't know anything

Yes sir Tecmo, those were rough times as a Bengal fan. Thank God they are over and the good times are a rollin'. Cool

(03-31-2023, 09:37 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Broncos nation must wonder what the hell you're doing!  Hilarious

Yeah, lots of Bronco fans around here, not as many as stealer fans but still. Also a lot of Seahawks fans around here in Wyoming.

I bet we have a lot more Bengal fans with Logan Wilson and Burrow who brings a ton of fans to the table.

Remember one time on the old board a fellow Bengal fan PM'ed me and he was from my valley too, but was in Thailand or something
at the time. So there was 2 and maybe still is if he is still around.
Reply/Quote