Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4 Average
What is your favorite Bengals play?
Hey all!

I know I'm usually in here pushing links and just doing serious stuff - but had a fun question (I hope).

What is your favorite all-time Bengals play?

Could be something weird and fun, like Simpson's flip or Sanu-to-Dalton, etc.
Maybe it's something random, like a Blake-to-Pickens connection, or a Dillon run, or something Ken Anderson/Riley/Parrish did (obviously some of these might date you :-) Maybe a sack or interception or kick return.
Or perhaps it's an impactful one, like from a playoff game or Super Bowl or important regular season game. Whatever. Looking for a favorite - not something like an injury or something that happened against the Bengals.

In my three seasons covering the team, the Green Hail Mary catch against the Browns is right up there.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Vontaze Burfict's game sealing interception in the 2015 playoffs. My 2 month old daughter was asleep just a few feet away from me, and slept thru my celebration. I remember I never sat back down after that.

She also slept thru me sulking away to the garage for a cigarette moments later.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Never seen a momentum flip like the first quarter of the 2014 Monday night game against the 11-3 Broncos.  Bengals seem to always flop in prime time and second possession of the game Dalton throws a pick six to Aqib Talib.  Broncos go crazy and I feel a long night ahead. On the kickoff the Broncos stuff Adam Jones on the 15 yards line.  Broncos get more fired up.  Then first play Jeremy Hill goes 85 yds to tie the game.  That was the first of 20 straight points for the Bengals that stole the momentum.  Bengas go on to win 37-28.
Reply/Quote
Don't have a favorite individual play but Jeff Blake's rainbow bombs were a thing of beauty.
Reply/Quote
From the ones that I vividly remember, tie between...
1) Palmer to Caldwell TD with 18 seconds left in the game against Pittsburgh in 2009.
2) Dalton's hail mary at Baltimore in 2013 at the very end of the game that got tipped and Green caught it in the end zone to take the game into OT.
3) Burfict's interception late in 4th quarter of 2015 playoff game that should have sealed the victory...
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
2009 season probably had as many big clutch plays as the rest of the last 10 years combined. Multiple final minute game winning scores and multiple 4th down conversions on the drives to set up those scores.

At Pitt......Down 20-15 Bengals drive 71 yards in 15 plays (with 2 4th down conversions) to score game winning TD with 18 seconds left.

Cle..........Down 20-14 Palmer throws game tying (missed XP) td to Chad Johnson on fourth down with 1:55 left in game. With 1:04 left in overtime Palmer scrambles for 15 yards on a 4th and 11 to keep a drive alive at midfield. Sets up game winning fg on last play of overtime.

At Bal......Down 14-10 with 1:45 left Palmer runs for 6 yards on a 4th and 1 at his own 34 yard line. That keeps alive an 11 ply 80 yards drive that ends with game winning 20 yd td pass with 22 seconds left.

KC...........Tied 10-10 in 4th quarter Bengals drive 98 yards and score game winning td with just 2:05 left.
Reply/Quote
Bengals fan who lives on the Iowa-Wisconsin border....so Packer/Bears land. The big comeback against the Pack in 2013 and specifically the Terrance Newman 58 yard touchdown return
Reply/Quote
Not a favorite play, but a favorite individual performance.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
In recent times, it has to be the AJ to AJ hookup that should have been the game-clincher against the Steelers -- giving the Bengals their 1st playoff win under Marvin. I still vividly remember the giddiness - although very short lived - following that play.

An older one that always sticks out for me, is Boomer's 69 yard TD to 'Downtown' Eddie Brown in the 4th quarter of last regular season game of the '88 season against the Redskins. That score tied the game and the Bengals would go on to win in OT.

Another one that I remember well is Jeff Blake's first rainbow bomb to Darnay Scott in his first start against the Cowboys in '94. A damn thing of beauty and Blake offered some hope in what was a pretty dismal time otherwise.

Just for a purely fun memory, it has to be Peko steamrolling Polamalu. I never get tired of watching that!
Reply/Quote
Can't believe Palmer is out of the league now. So many clutch plays with him at the helm.
Reply/Quote
I’ll throw two out there. Have to pick one from the crazy 2009 season so I’ll go with the 4th and 10 dive by Brian Leonard to keep the comeback hopes alive. A thrilling play and great effort (plus my name is Leonardfan40 so you know, kinda obligated to throw him in here).

The other would be the Dede Dorsey blocked punt for a TD against Arizona in 2007. I was at that game and it was definitely one of the most exciting plays I’ve ever seen in person. Believe it was the first blocked punt TD for us in over 10 years. Plus DeDe was always fun to watch even though he wasn’t a big name.
Reply/Quote
Jim O. Here is a good lesson on what it is like to be a Bengal fan.

In 2006 if we win either one of our last two games we make the playoffs.

Game 15 against the Broncos. Down 17-10 Bengals get the ball at their own ten with less than 4 minutes left to play. Palmer hits Houshmandzadeh for 22 yards on fourth and 9 at midfield. then with 43 seconds left he hits Housh again over the middle for a 10 yard td........We botch the XP and lose by one

Game 16 against the Steelers. Tied 17-17 with less than a minute to go Palmer hits Chris henry for 57 yards to the Steelers 20. We run down the clock nd then miss a chip shot 39 yd FG. Lose in over time.

Just like the recent epic playoff meltdown against the Steelers the Bengals made huge clutch plays late in the game that filled their fans with pride. But they still found ways to blow it at the end.
Reply/Quote
Nelson taking out Bell ranks pretty high up there with me.

Reply/Quote
Stanford Jennings' kick return TD in Super Bowl XXIII.

Boomer's play fakes were always a thing of beauty.....and those flea flickers.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
1. Ickey Woods celebrating after his second touchdown run in the AFC championship game and the Swat team joining in. Never been so happy in my sports fan life.

2. Stanford Jennings running punt back against the 49'ers in Super Bowl 23. This would rank higher but the outcome ruined that moment for me.

3. Sam Wyche calling a timeout with seconds left on the clock to kick a field goal against Houston to put the final touches on a 61-7 massacre. Once upon a time I hated Houston and Jerry Glanville almost as much as the Steelers now.

4. Corey Dillon running all over the Broncos to set the then rookie rushing record. That was a miserable season with the worse bunch of stiffs playing QB in a Bengals uniform and Dillon brought back interest to the city.

5. Burfict's sack of Rotten to "seal" the first playoff victory of the Marvin Lewis Era. The rest of the game sums up what Bengals Fandom is all about; Just good enough to make you hate football every year.
Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 03:32 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: 1. Ickey Woods celebrating after his second touchdown run in the AFC championship game and the Swat team joining in. Never been so happy in my sports fan life.

2. Stanford Jennings running punt back against the 49'ers in Super Bowl 23. This would rank higher but the outcome ruined that moment for me.

3. Sam Wyche calling a timeout with seconds left on the clock to kick a field goal against Houston to put the final touches on a 61-7 massacre. Once upon a time I hated Houston and Jerry Glanville almost as much as the Steelers now.

4. Corey Dillon running all over the Broncos to set the then rookie rushing record. That was a miserable season with the worse bunch of stiffs playing QB in a Bengals uniform and Dillon brought back interest to the city.

5. Burfict's sack of Rotten to "seal" the first playoff victory of the Marvin Lewis Era.  The rest of the game sums up what Bengals Fandom is all about; Just good enough to make you hate football every year.

That......was awesome.  Don't forget the onsides kick. LMAO

I actually liked Glanville and the Oilers....he was a character.....and watching his teams bully and bloody the Stoolers was always a treat to watch.  I remember ol Chuck wouldn't shake his hand after a game and cried and bitched about dirty play.....oh the irony.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 02:40 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: I’ll throw two out there. Have to pick one from the crazy 2009 season so I’ll go with the 4th and 10 dive by Brian Leonard to keep the comeback hopes alive. A thrilling play and great effort (plus my name is Leonardfan40 so you know, kinda obligated to throw him in here).

The other would be the Dede Dorsey blocked punt for a TD against Arizona in 2007. I was at that game and it was definitely one of the most exciting plays I’ve ever seen in person. Believe it was the first blocked punt TD for us in over 10 years. Plus DeDe was always fun to watch even though he wasn’t a big name.

The best game I ever saw live was the thriller against Seattle in 2015.  I was in the endzone when Nuge doinked in the FG.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 02:03 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: In recent times, it has to be the AJ to AJ hookup that should have been the game-clincher against the Steelers -- giving the Bengals their 1st playoff win under Marvin. I still vividly remember the giddiness - although very short lived - following that play.

An older one that always sticks out for me, is Boomer's 69 yard TD to 'Downtown" Eddie Brown in the 4th quarter of last regular season game of the '88 season against the Redskins. That score tied the game and the Bengals would go on to win in OT.

Another one that I remember well is Jeff Blake's first rainbow bomb to Darnay Scott in his first start against the Cowboys in '94. A damn thing of beauty and Blake offered some hope in what was a pretty dismal time otherwise.

Just for a purely fun memory, it has to be Peko steamrolling Polamalu. I never get tired of watching that!

My first NFL game.  That place was literally rocking.....I mean you could feel the stadium moving.  You couldn't hear yourself think.

Reply/Quote
(05-18-2018, 03:36 PM)Wyche Wrote: That......was awesome.  Don't forget the onsides kick. LMAO

I actually liked Glanville and the Oilers....he was a character.....and watching his teams bully and bloody the Stoolers was always a treat to watch.  I remember ol Chuck wouldn't shake his hand after a game and cried and bitched about dirty play.....oh the irony.

No I know what you mean about Glanville. I only hated him when we played them. He was really great for the NFL and brought personality to the game. Oh my God that onsides kick!!! I was about 15 at the time and was thinking that the Bengals were going to go on to become on of the storied franchises in the NFL. If I had only known what was to come. lol

Reply/Quote
The Flop the Flip and the AD TD catch

and whitworths TD
Reply/Quote