Poll: If Andrew Whitworth was a Bengal this year, do we make the playoffs?
Absolutely. There is no question.
Most likely. OT wasn't our only problem, but it was definitely our biggest one.
I'm not sure. Maybe it would have pushed us over the edge, but maybe not.
I doubt it. This team has far more issues than just the offensive line
No way. This team has a long way to go before they are playoff ready
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rate your confidence in the following statement:
Statement: If we re-signed Andrew Whitworth, we'd be getting ready to play a game this weekend.

Thoughts?
Reply/Quote
Absolutely not.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Statement: If we re-signed Andrew Whitworth, we'd be getting ready to play a game this weekend.

Thoughts?

as a follow up question.....even if Mike Brown knew signing him would have lead to that outcome would he have changed his mind and give him the contract the rams did?
Reply/Quote
Possibly.  I mean, if we can say we coulda/shoulda won a SB in 2005 and 2015 it isn't insane to think with much better o-line play that we eek out another 2 wins and sneak into the playoffs and hope we can pull off an upset in KC.

(01-03-2018, 09:11 AM)sonofstat Wrote: as a follow up question.....even if Mike Brown knew signing him would have lead to that outcome would he have changed his mind and give him the contract the rams did?

Alas, the dagger of truth appears!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think if we simply had a different and properly used OL depth chart the entire season, even with the current roster, we would have won a few more games and yes, made the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
It sure woulda helped !

But we had other serious issues that I don't think just Whit would have been enough to overcome. Rest of O-line, defense giving up a gazillion yards rushing, D giving up dozens of 3rd and longs, lack of production from WR's beyond AJ, no run game and Whit couldn't fix that on his own and on and on.
Reply/Quote
I think it was more than just a personnel issue with the line. Remember, it was a bad line last year too, with Whit and Z here. Resigning Whit would have been a positive thing, but a change of coach/philosophy is what is really needed to improve the line.
Reply/Quote
Sure. Good chance we would have. Would have been interesting to see what new mind numbing way the next playoff loss would have happened. Would it have been a former ugly revisited or would it have been a whole new ugly? Good times.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Given the final standings there is no doubt we would have finished at least 9-7 and beaten the Bills on the tie breaker.

Whitworth was easily worth two games- minimum.

Of course we would have lost the eighth consecutive playoff game and Marvin would have been renewed despite increasing his unprecedented and inept polayoff record.
Reply/Quote
Up until the last two weeks, the defense was giving up roughly 50% third down conversions. That just gets buried because of how awful the offense was. Can't tell you how many times I wanted to pull my hair out watching this team sit in a soft zone on third downs and get eaten alive across the middle.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Statement: If we re-signed Andrew Whitworth, we'd be getting ready to lose a game this weekend.

Thoughts?

Fixed.

Agreed. Only because the AFC was so weak this season.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Well I know some will say "yes" out of spite, but the obvious answer is "probably not". Whit only occupies one spot on the line...and this line has 4 bad spots.

Plus Whit wouldn't have stopped us from retaining Zampese going into the season, or that terrible run blocking scheme we used for the first 10 weeks.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Maybe. Some sketchy teams got in this year, I suppose it’s not out of the question that our sketchy team could have been one of them.
Reply/Quote
It definitely would have given us a better chance, but I'm not sure that he would have made the difference in the collapses against Green Bay and Pittsburgh (would have made the playoffs if we would have held on in those games).
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
We had Whit AND Zeitler year before last..... how'd that run to the playoffs  work out???
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 09:05 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Statement: If we re-signed Andrew Whitworth, we'd be getting ready to play a game this weekend.

Thoughts?

Make the playoffs? Perhaps.
Advance in the playoffs? Nope.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 11:50 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well I know some will say "yes" out of spite, but the obvious answer is "probably not". Whit only occupies one spot on the line...and this line has 4 bad spots.

Plus Whit wouldn't have stopped us from retaining Zampese going into the season, or that terrible run blocking scheme we used for the first 10 weeks.

I went with maybe.  Honestly, it's not out of the realm of possibility that we win two more games with Whit holding down the blindside instead of Ogbuehi sometimes single handedly derailing the offense.  There were the other issues, but Og is the 2nd biggest on the team, IMO.....with Blodine running a close third, with everyone chasing Piano Man, and Mediocre Merv in a VERY close 4th.  

Oh yay, we get all of them back for more too! Whatever  Can't fuggin' wait.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2018, 12:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We had Whit AND Zeitler year before last..... how'd that run to the playoffs  work out???

True but they did make it to playoffs 5 years straight before that. 

Whit may or may not have gotten us there. But only needing a few wins it is possible. 

There certainly were some winnable games that Bengals lost. 

Either way Whit absolutely would have enhanced our chances and certainly did nothing to harm the Rams chances. He deserved it too. 

A better question is would the Rams have made it without Whit ? Their QB got better immediately and so did their run game. 

Bet they pick up those option years on his contract as well. 

Voted maybe

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Doubt it. A good offensive line would not have helped our weak linebackers. Excluding Burfict of course.
Reply/Quote