Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of offense will we see in 2020?
Last year's Super Bowl presented 2 distinctly NFL offenses.
The Niners offense was built around a 3 headed running attack.
I think between Brieda Coleman and Mosert no guy had more
Than 180 carries.
Samuel had the most catches among recievers with 56.
Kittle led the team with 80 something
Having a 3 man rotation at RB insures fresh legs

The Chiefs offense we all know goes through Mahomes
Kelce Hill Watkins Hardemen. Williams and Thompson are
Just complimentary pieces. Neither will hit 100 in a game
Unless it's combined yardage

The Saints offense is high powered as its identity falls between
The Chiefs and 49ers.

What kind of offense will the Bengals showcase in 2020?
I know Burrow is a rookie and I expect a healthy dose
Of the running game to give him favorable 3rd downs to convert
And to keep defenses honest
Letting Eifert walk tells me the TE won't be as targeted as much
Uzamoh and Sample were not focal points in college
And Uzamoh has yet to achieve a 100 yd game
I think they are looked up as blockers 1st pass catchers
2nd.

I don't have the numbers in front of me.but what was the %
Of 3 WR sets vs 2 TE sets last year. ?
With a return of Green and healthy Ross/Boyd and the emergence of Tate I think we will see more 3 WR sets this year.
Will the offense be more uptempo ?
It's been promised through 2 different HCs but still all talk

I wonder if this offense will resemble the Falcons offense
From a few years back .
2 man rotation at RB and the WRs getting a lot of targets ?
Reply/Quote
Burrow thrives on empty sets. Expect that to be the case

Heavy doses of Mixon with Bernard and traveyon Williams sharing the other carries.

With our offensive line issues expect lots of QB hurries. I kind of hope Ruiz or Jones falls to 2 and we get Pittman at 3. Really need LB support but you can’t fix everything in the draft.
Reply/Quote
I know LB is a need but see if you can grab a guy in the 4th or 5th round.

Free agency was heavy on defense. I'd like the draft to go heavy on offense. Keep Burrow upright and get him some more weapons.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
An offense where we actually are on a level playing field with our opponents because we'll actually have a QB who can make plays too. No more trying to win games at a disadvantage with one hand tied behind our back.
Reply/Quote
I want to see more passes to our backs. Mixon and Gio are playmakers and getting the ball to them with screens, wheels and other passing routes should be a priority
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 03:35 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I want to see more passes to our backs.  Mixon and Gio are playmakers and getting the ball to them with screens, wheels and other passing routes should be a priority

This is what I want to see more of and with Burrow I see it happening. All the backs we have on the roster have good hands
and the way Burrow targeted Edwards-Helaire last year shows he likes to go to the RB's a lot in the passing game. It is an 
extension of the running game and opens up the passing game for the WR's. Thinking we will go heavy on Offense in this 
Draft with it being so deep at WR and interior Lineman.

This will help keep Burrow comfortable and he will have his fellow Draftees along with Hubbard here to make it HIS team 
under Zac. When you have great pass catching RB's you need to use them and it will prolong AJ's career and help out Ross
and Boyd so they can stay healthy.

Expecting an Offense a lot like LSU ran this year which Taylor is already pretty much used to running.

Keep the pressure off of Burrow is the key even if he thrives in pressure situations. Help him out, keep him comfortable and
just have fun out there. The Defense will be muchly improved this season with the additions and the O-line and running game
came around late last year well. Don't see these things regressing.
Reply/Quote
Heavy RPO 5 man protections with lots of in-breaking and vertical routes to maximize Burrows accuracy, anticipation, and touch.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can see alot times where AJ will run go routes
With Ross coming underneath
And Ross running go routes with AJ and Boyd underneath
And all the while Mixon will chip and release in the shallow flat
Reply/Quote
Interesting article to read about Burrow, the Bengals, and offense. I'm not an Xs & Os expert, so I learned a few things.

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/15/deep-dive-how-lsus-joe-burrow-fits-into-the-bengals-offense/
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 07:43 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Interesting article to read about Burrow, the Bengals, and offense.  I'm not an Xs & Os expert, so I learned a few things.

https://lsutigerswire.usatoday.com/2020/03/15/deep-dive-how-lsus-joe-burrow-fits-into-the-bengals-offense/

Burrows will put the ball in Mixon's, AJ's and Boyd's hands as often as possible.  How it's done will be what we're waiting to see.  I think the Bengals have to upgrade LG in the draft to make this possible.  
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 03:35 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: I want to see more passes to our backs.  Mixon and Gio are playmakers and getting the ball to them with screens, wheels and other passing routes should be a priority

Here here.  The occasional wheel or circle route to Mixon could really open up the field for other skill players.

I foresee something akin to a hybrid between the Saints passing attack with a Kubiak style zone running game.  Occasionally shifting the pocket around with bootlegs and horizontal routes may help to slow the pass rush and allow for guys like Ross and Uzomah to rip off some nice YAC plays.   
Reply/Quote
I don't think last year is a usable sample of what kind of offense we will be running. The blocking was just atrocious which for at least half the season meant we had no run game and all season we constantly had to get pass plays off in less than 3 seconds. ZT even said the blocking problems caused them to have to constrict the playbook.

If we manage between Filo, getting Jonah back and the draft to improve blocking we should see a more coherent offense. I would expect to see Mixon running to set up playaction and assuming AJ is really back and we hit on WR in the draft for someone out there with AJ and Boyd this could be fun.
Reply/Quote
I would like to see a balanced attack like LSU ran. It seemed like they passed it a ton but they really ran it half the time.

Sounds like three wideouts a lot of the time with our personnel, a tight end and a running back. Sometimes you go two wide and two tight ends, or 4 wide and a back. But our personnel would say 3 wide a lot of the time.

If we could just draft a stud interior lineman to open holes in the running game out of a 3 wide set we could be pretty good and balanced—or have a guard like MJ emerge. I know guard isn’t the strength of the draft and a right tackle is more likely. Maybe theres a player that can play both? Of course Jonah has to come on and solidify LT. we need better play at right tackle. And we need our guards to emerge in the run game. Its good that the offensive line had a year to gain some chemistry and momentum before Burrow comes in. A lot of young players got their feet wet and learned and grew.

Im excited about Burrow. If he can keep the defense off balanced it’ll make everyone else better. Of course the play calling needs to match and our running game needs to start off a lot better than last year. Yeah we warmed up late in the season but we couldn’t run on anyone early in the year (when we faced our best competition).

Overall it’ll take some time for everyone to gain some chemistry and get going. It took Burrow a year to really get going at LSU so i expect the same here.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2020, 06:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is what I want to see more of and with Burrow I see it happening. All the backs we have on the roster have good hands
and the way Burrow targeted Edwards-Helaire last year shows he likes to go to the RB's a lot in the passing game. It is an 
extension of the running game and opens up the passing game for the WR's. Thinking we will go heavy on Offense in this 
Draft with it being so deep at WR and interior Lineman.

This will help keep Burrow comfortable and he will have his fellow Draftees along with Hubbard here to make it HIS team 
under Zac. When you have great pass catching RB's you need to use them and it will prolong AJ's career and help out Ross
and Boyd so they can stay healthy.

Expecting an Offense a lot like LSU ran this year which Taylor is already pretty much used to running.

Keep the pressure off of Burrow is the key even if he thrives in pressure situations. Help him out, keep him comfortable and
just have fun out there. The Defense will be muchly improved this season with the additions and the O-line and running game
came around late last year well. Don't see these things regressing.
WhoDey2  Joe Mixon's contract is up at the end of this season. If they don't extend him, we may see Clyde Edwards-Helaire taken with #33. Let Mixon walk and have one helluva running back on a 4 year rookie Deal... Cool
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
The value of a 5 man protection scheme is that the O line own's 5 and the QB has the 6th. You want to be blitzed against 5 man protection because it means everyone out in the pattern is singled up or you have lite zones. Burrow thrived under pressure at LSU when in 5 man protection because he understood who was his responsibility and when they'd bring extra pressure he knew exactly where he wanted to be with the ball.

Expect to see them come out of the huddle 5 wide on A LOT of plays then motion the back in. This will tell Burrow pre snap if the defense is in man or zone. Once he has that read pre snap he will set his protection and start establishing pre snap where to go with the ball. I think for me, the biggest thing will be how he handles the Ravens blitz packages. They send a lot of pressure from a lot of places and do plenty of late rotations that make it tough on young QB's to account for everyone. This could be a place where someone like Bynes can help us understand what they like to do and their philosophy when getting Burrow ready.
Reply/Quote

With you on this one, and the "empty sets" could surely allow for this...Have the RB chip the end and slide out for a checkdown.  They can't cover everyone and with Burrow's vision and patience, the RBs should see their fair share of targets.  Mixon and Gio are two excellent receivers.  It has long been a puzzle to me as to why they didn't use them more in this manner.  I am sure, based on the self-scouting and in-year adjustments, that this is coming in 2020.
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 12:44 AM)JSR18 Wrote: WhoDey2  Joe Mixon's contract is up at the end of this season. If they don't extend him, we may see Clyde Edwards-Helaire taken with #33. Let Mixon walk and have one helluva running back on a 4 year rookie Deal... Cool

As much as I like Mixon's attitude (that dude really SEEMS like he wants to win), I can't help but side with this logic.  Investing in a RB simply isn't the best use of dollars (long term).  I think Gio's contract is absurd for what they do with him and as much as I like him, either start using the guy or use his contract dollars toward extending Mixon.  
Reply/Quote

Absolutely.
We expected the Bengals to mimic the Rams offense once Taylor arrived.
And in the two years that Taylor was with the Rams, Gurley had 64 and 59 receptions.
The Bengals had 65 receptions between Bernard and Mixon last year totaling over 500 yards and 3 TDs.
I'd like to see Mixon get more like 45+ receptions and Bernard (if they keep him) get 25+ on top of that.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think its imperitive they move John Ross around
As much as possible.
Still think hes,the X factor on offense this year
No reason why he can't get 5 to 10 touches a game
Reply/Quote
(04-13-2020, 11:02 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I think its imperitive they move John Ross around
As much as possible.
Still think hes,the X factor on offense this year
No reason why he can't get 5 to 10 touches a game

I agree but I worry more the problem is can he even handle getting that many touches a game for a whole season. He seems to be a pretty fragile dude. 
Reply/Quote