Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Continuing to Put Money into a Clunker
(03-02-2017, 04:07 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: It's actually more environmentally efficient to run old cars into the ground rather than to spend the resources necessary to make a new one.  Now if you had the option to buy a car where the mining, manufacturing, and assembly operations were run by clean energy(solar/wind/geo/old hydro), then that might be a different story.  At present no one on the market offers that.  The $10 million/minute global subsidies given to energy companies keep the prices too low to incentivize them to do anything aside from what they already know how to do: provide fossil fuel energy for a global economy that has been tooled and engineered to consume fossil fuels.

Good analysis of the front end. Of course, on the back end there is the little matter of disposing of the entire junked car. Every day that is delayed and the resources already extracted continue to function as a car is a greener day too.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 09:58 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I hear ya.  My '06 F-150 has 200K on it.  It's been paid off for years.  The small amount that I've had to pay on repairs and general maintenance is small, compared to the payment of a newer vehicle.

I have a '98 Ranger with 210k and it still purrs like a kitten. It has required things here and there, biggest thing being a new timing belt last year.

I just dropped $2600 on a 2010 Aveo for the Wife. I rarely spend much on cars. Hate car payments, plus insurance is cheaper with old cars.

You also don't worry if you ding them up. Adds character. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I just hate the whole shopping for a car ordeal. Here is the price I am willing to pay. Can you do it? No, sorry. Yes? Show me the paperwork.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 04:07 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: It's actually more environmentally efficient to run old cars into the ground rather than to spend the resources necessary to make a new one.  Now if you had the option to buy a car where the mining, manufacturing, and assembly operations were run by clean energy(solar/wind/geo/old hydro), then that might be a different story.  At present no one on the market offers that.  The $10 million/minute global subsidies given to energy companies keep the prices too low to incentivize them to do anything aside from what they already know how to do: provide fossil fuel energy for a global economy that has been tooled and engineered to consume fossil fuels.

Depends on the context; Is it just cars that get decent mileage, or all vehicles? if all, that discussion changes drastically IMO. A old f150 vs a new one wouldn't compare IMO. You spend resources also buying those new alternators, batteries, fenders, etc. Those are also  mined and built at the expense of earth, while also having crappier emissions. We also have to take into considerations that emissions the older vs newer cars have. It's pretty safe to say a car from the 80's will not have nearly as good of emissions as a newer one. Good discussion tho.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote

Just ask the Cubans, they do this all the time (out of necessity).
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2017, 12:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The Bengals are the Brass Ass of the NFL.

Hey hey....don't put down Covington's finest adult entertainment establishment by comparing it to this team.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-03-2017, 11:40 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Hey hey....don't put down Covington's finest adult entertainment establishment by comparing it to this team.

Brass Ass is Newport.

COV's finest ladies are at Club Venus or Rodney's (or whatever that place is called nowadays).

Sick
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-04-2017, 01:33 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Brass Ass is Newport.

COV's finest ladies are at Club Venus or Rodney's (or whatever that place is called nowadays).

Sick

I get all those places confused...since if I'm in any of them it involves a huge amount of booze, an uber ride home and a shot of Penicillin the next day. I prefer to keep it classy at Concepts in Lawrenceburg...  Ninja Ninja

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I will weigh in on the new car versus old car debate, but will do it from the standpoint of safety.

A year ago we had gone to Florida Mall and were coming home on the Turnpike when it started to rain so hard you could barely see in front of you. My wife was driving when the car next to us started to drift into our lane. She instinctively tapped the brakes to keep from getting hit. When she did, our Lexus started to fishtail and the traction control was not able to stabilize. We ended up doing three complete 360* turns across all three lanes of the Turnpike. The front of the car hit the concrete embankment, whipped around so the back hit, and then ended up with us sitting back on the Turnpike. All 10 airbags deployed. I closed my eyes and thought "stay calm, this is going to be bad". My wife had a burn on her forearm from the airbag and I had an old filling pop out from the airbag deploying (who knew that could happen). Other than that, we did not have a scratch (thankfully our daughter had no injury at all). The Highway Patrolman said that coming up on the scene he expected fatalities. He then said "that car did it's job, it kept you alive and safe".

Lexus gained a customer for life that day. The cars are expensive, but in my humble opinion, worth every cent.

As to Jones and Rey M. Cut them now, neither are worth anywhere near what they are scheduled to be paid (that is not even taking into account Pacman's off field problems).
Reply/Quote