Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What parents do in moderation their children take to excess!
This is about Paul Brown. Seems our current Bengals management team has some of his negative traits in excess:

Although Brown coached dozens of successful teams at the high school, college and professional levels, his controlling personality and sharp criticisms made him unpopular with many players.[3] Brown was a methodical and disciplined coach who tolerated no deviation from his system.[143] His professional teams' planes did not wait for players who were late; anyone who missed the flight was forced to find one on his own and pay a fine to Brown.[144] When the Browns practiced twice in a day in training camp, each session was exactly 55 minutes. Regular practices during the season lasted an hour and 12 minutes.[145] Players who made mistakes in games were held up for ridicule during film review sessions.[144] "There got to be a saying", longtime Browns safety Ken Konz said years later. "'There's a right way, a wrong way and the Paul Brown way.' If you did it the Paul Brown way, you were right. He was a very strict coach, and he expected you to toe the line."[144]

Brown was also a tough negotiator over salaries, often refusing to give players raises despite strong performance.[145] He was called "cold and brutal" by sportswriters, and told players to be "ready to fight for your financial lives".[145] "When I signed with Paul, he felt that $1,000 was $10 million", said Gene Hickerson, a guard who played for the Browns in the late 1950s and 1960s.[145] Brown's stingy approach to salaries frustrated his players and was a motivating force behind the formation of the National Football League Players Association, which represents players' interests in dealings with the league. Browns players including Dante Lavelli and Abe Gibron helped found the union in 1956 along with lawyer and former Browns assistant coach Creighton Miller.[146][147] Brown was so annoyed by the union that he had a 1946 team photo in his office touched up to remove Miller.[148]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Brown
Reply/Quote
I have always said that while PB was a great coach he and Art Modell are to blame for the crappy owner the Bengals now have. I am sure that after being fired from the first team he created he told Mikey to never let outsiders have control. Always keep it in the family. The difference is that PB was a great football coach/talent evaluator - his son, not so much.
Reply/Quote
Let's not forget his decision to let Bill Walsh go because he thought he was too "cocky".

What might have been.....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
He supposedly actively tried to stop Walsh from getting coaching jobs too.
Reply/Quote
Had I known all this back in the day, i would have chosen a different team to cheer. I'm not even from Cinci, lived there or visited there.

Damn you 80s and lack of internet.
Reply/Quote
That was hard earned money. Not the play money these billionaires Owners around the league have.

Paul was doing the fatherly duty making sure the kids and grandkids were taken care of. MB did the same, Katie already know the deal, and if she don't Troy ain't letting that money go nowhere. He married up, and I can't imagine the prenup Katie negotiated. His best bet is to get into the Brown will. So we can't count on him.

The Bengals finances are set, and the model was long established.

Nice quote.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
This is why I laugh when people say things will change when MB croaks. If anything they may get worse because Troy is even stingier than MB and Katie knows no different than what MB does.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2019, 12:26 AM)WhodeyRay Wrote: This is why I laugh when people say things will change when MB croaks. If anything they may get worse because Troy is even stingier than MB and Katie knows no different than what MB does.

I'd say that the kids will try to run things 'as is' and show that they know better than MB did.

The thing is...they haven't worked for other organization to even know what a successful operation looks like. All they know is here and how things are done.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2019, 10:14 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I have always said that while PB was a great coach he and Art Modell are to blame for the crappy owner the Bengals now have. I am sure that after being fired from the first team he created he told Mikey to never let outsiders have control. Always keep it in the family. The difference is that PB was a great football coach/talent evaluator - his son, not so much.

To piggy back on this; I’m sure on his death bed, Paul gave Mike strict instructions ... a dying wish if you will, on how to deal with (the new) free agency scourge about to infect the NFL.

There’s simply no other rational reason why Mike has been so against it.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Paul Brown was beloved by many of his players and before free agency EVERY team was cheap with the players.  It is absurd to claim that Paul Brown was the reason players formed a union.  All across the league players were told to take it or leave it.

And don't people praise Bill Belichick for insisting that things be done "his way".  Why is that such a bad thing?

Dewey Warren used to have a local talk radio show in Knoxville.  He loved Paul Brown and from time to time had other former Bengals who also spoke highly of him as a coach.  Paul Brown was instrumental in integrating the NFL and even signed civil rights "radical" Tommy Smith to play for the Bengals.

There are a lot of things for the people who love to shit on the Bengals to bring up.  But it is laughable to criticize Paul Brown for being strict with rules at the same time they cry about how our current coaches don't demand responsibility from the players.
Reply/Quote