Poll: What position(s) would you sacrifice for better OL?
TE
DT
CB
S
Other
None, just restructure!
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What positions would you sacrifice for better OL?
We all know (and have known for years) that the OL needs upgraded.
I think we can all agree that ideally we'd like for the OL to get upgraded with proven vet FAs.
With that said, the Bengals don't have unlimited cap and don't really ever do restructures.
They have the following non-OL positions with a starter either hitting FA or just flat out needing upgraded:
- TE
- CB
- S
- DT

So what position(s) are you ok with allowing to be addressed with cheaper FAs (under $5 mill) and/or draft picks so that the team can better address OL in the draft?
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:10 PM)ochocincos Wrote: We all know (and have known for years) that the OL needs upgraded.
I think we can all agree that ideally we'd like for the OL to get upgraded with proven vet FAs.
With that said, the Bengals don't have unlimited cap and don't really ever do restructures.
They have the following non-OL positions with a starter either hitting FA or just flat out needing upgraded:
- TE
- CB
- S
- DT

So what position(s) are you ok with allowing to be addressed with cheaper FAs (under $5 mill) and/or draft picks so that the team can better address OL in the draft?

CB needs to be upper tier draft pick.

Draft a safety and sign Marcus Maye on a 1 year $6M deal to mentor. (frees up $10m that would have gone to Bates)

Re-sign BJ Hill and draft DT.

Draft TE.

Free up an additional $25M cutting Waynes, Hopkins and Boyd.
Reply/Quote
I think the analytics say RB. Super Bowl winners generally have a RB making under $2 million a year.
Reply/Quote
I would trade Boyd to make room for the cap.
Some team would give you a relative high draft pick for him (GB, TB, LV, NE, Or Dal), Chase will probably play more slot as he grows into this offense, and we have two elite Wrs as is do we really need another?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
Pretty much any of them if they went out and signed guys like Scherff and Armstead.

Reply/Quote
I don't know but I'd sacrifice my right kidney for a couple of good linemen.
Reply/Quote
RB
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:29 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: I think the analytics say RB. Super Bowl winners generally have a RB making under $2 million a year.

Not much can be done about RB at this point. Mixon costs too much dead money to cut/trade.
But I agree, shouldn't have put so much toward RB.
It usually doesn't pay off.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:31 PM)J24 Wrote: I would trade Boyd to make room for the cap.
Some team would give you a relative high draft pick for him (GB, TB, LV, NE, Or Dal),  Chase will probably play more slot as he grows into this offense, and we have two elite Wrs as is do we really need another?

I was going to ask why DAL, but you're probably thinking the team will (or should) move on from Gallup. Then they could roll with Lamb and Cooper outside with Boyd in the slot.
Not sure if LV makes sense. They need an outside guy. Renfrow and Waller cover the inside.
GB would probably be super appealing if they can get Rodgers to stay.
Boyd with Adams would be sick.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
We must be a lot closer to the cap than I think we are if we are talking about making room and sacrifices elsewhere to bring in o-line help.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:39 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I was going to ask why DAL, but you're probably thinking the team will (or should) move on from Gallup. Then they could roll with Lamb and Cooper outside with Boyd in the slot.
Not sure if LV makes sense. They need an outside guy. Renfrow and Waller cover the inside.
GB would probably be super appealing if they can get Rodgers to stay.
Boyd with Adams would be sick.

Dallas will probably cut Cooper so I could see them Trading For a guy like Boyd and resigning Gallup because it's cheaper.

Las Vegas and New England because he is a perfect fit in those systems. I agree with your assessment though that they would need more speed.

Tampa- If they lose Godwin they will need a slot WR to replace him.

Green Bay- Makes way to much sense. Boyd and Adams would be PB&J as We combo
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We must be a lot closer to the cap than I think we are if we are talking about making room and sacrifices elsewhere to bring in o-line help.

We have the 4th most cap space in the league. Even after re-signing a bunch of our own players there will be room for a couple nice additions to the OL.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We must be a lot closer to the cap than I think we are if we are talking about making room and sacrifices elsewhere to bring in o-line help.

I think we are going to be closer than some realize.
$56 mill in cap, $67 mill if cutting Waynes.
Bengals only have ~34 players under contract.
I think players like Ogunjobi, Hill, Uzomah, and Spain could all command $5-8 mill each.
Bates tag is going to be $13 mill, so an extension would likely be around that or higher.
Veteran depth players are going to cost $1-3 mill APY.

If you're looking at players you'd have true confidence in upgrading a starting spot with an outside FA, you're likely looking at someone in the $8+ mill range.
So that cap can get swallowed up quick based on the contracts signed.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:35 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Not much can be done about RB at this point. Mixon costs too much dead money to cut/trade.
But I agree, shouldn't have put so much toward RB.
It usually doesn't pay off.

Actually moving Mixon after June 1 (only $2.7 in dead money) is totally different situation than before June 1 ($8.2)

Making moves with Boyd, Mixon, Hopkins, Waynes and not resigning Bates puts us in a situation of affording 4 very solid linemen.

We can replace the slot & RB, with athletes Waynes is gone already, Hopkins is being replaced....

Imagine Joe getting 3 seconds every pass play, imagine not being concerned about goal line, 3rd or 4th and short... we ahve 2 super stars on the outside stretching the defense.... tough biz decisions... I'd do them.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think we are going to be closer than some realize.
I think players like Ogunjobi, Hill, Uzomah, and Spain could all command $5-8 mill each.
Bates tag is going to be $13 mill, so an extension would likely be around that or higher.

If you're looking at players you'd have true confidence in upgrading a starting spot with an outside FA, you're likely looking at someone in the $8+ mill range.

The cap is going up to $208 million next season.

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:49 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I think we are going to be closer than some realize.

We also have to keep roughly $1,000,000,000 free so we can extend Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We also have to keep roughly $1,000,000,000 free so we can extend Burrow.

You forgot some zeros.

In all seriousness though, the Bengals will keep some money on reserve heading into the draft. They always do.
Expect them to keep ~$10 mill, if not more.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:51 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: The cap is going up to $208 million next season.

Yep, I know that.
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/cap/
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-14-2022, 05:49 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Actually moving Joe after June 1 (only $2.7 in dead money) is totally different situation than before June 1 ($8.2)

Making moves with Boyd, Mixon, Hopkins, Waynes and not resigning Bates puts us in a situation of affording 4 very solid linemen.

We can replace the slot & RB, with athletes Waynes is gone already, Hopkins is being replaced....

Imagine Joe getting 3 seconds every pass play, imagine not being concerned about goal line, 3rd or 4th and short... we ahve 2 super stars on the outside stretching the defense.... tough biz decisions... I'd do them.

If you wait until after June 1 to move on from Mixon, you've missed the key FA signing window already.
You're not likely getting some great FA in post-June 1 with that money saved. Instead, you're likely just to carry that into 2023 or use for extension.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Waynes being the highest paid player on the team really does make you sick.

Reply/Quote