Under 10 million
0%
0 0%
Total 52 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Tee Higgins value
(06-16-2022, 08:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Mike Williams is also heading into his age 28 season.

More importantly, Mike Williams signed his extension on March 8th, right before the WR market exploded and changed. Then....
Christian Kirk signed March 14th
Davante Adams signed March 17th
DJ Moore signed March 18th
Tyreek Hill signed March 23rd
Stefon Diggs signed April 6th
AJ Brown signed April 28th
Cooper Kupp signed June 8th

If Mike Williams signed an extension literally just 11 days later than he did, he would have likely gotten more. Bad luck/timing for him, great luck/timing for the Chargers.

Also Tee Higgins has 1,999 receiving yards at an age before Mike Williams was even in the NFL. He only needs 1,663 yards in the next 5 years to match Williams' total at age 27. If you want to go by years in the NFL rather than age, he still has 3 years to get that 1,663 yards. 

That's a bit loaded since Williams didn't really break out until year 3.  However, for their careers, Williams averages 9.3 yards/target compared to 9.2 for Higgins.  Given similar target volume, they will produce at a similar rate with the slightest edge to Williams.  People forget that Williams not only competes with Allen, but also a top tier receiving RB in Ekeler and also traditionally good TE threats as well for targets.  

I think everyone will admit that Kirk was a desperation contract signed by a garbage team.  The rest of the guys on your list are clear cut WR1's.  Tee Higgins isn't that and neither is Williams.  He's a high end WR2.  If you also look at the guy on that list, look at their 40+ yard catches.  Most are getting at least 4-5 a year.  Higgins gets 2.  Not having that game breaking ability that a true WR1 has will hurt Tee in negotiations.  

To put things in another light, if Tee Higgins is a legit WR1 and a (potential)Top 10 WR like some are saying, why is there absolutely no debate about keeping Higgins instead of making Chase the highest paid WR in the league?  Because there's a big drop off there, that's why.  

To further look at your list, if you were in win now mode and could trade Higgins for anybody on that list, would we honestly hold onto Tee over anybody on that list not named Christian Kirk?  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Let's watch what is happening with Terry McLaurin this year. He's sitting out right now. If he plays this year it's for 2.8M and he's valued around 20M. Tee Higgins is slated to make 1.8M in 2023. At some point it's going to become worth it to sit out a year.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2022, 05:49 AM)puddycat Wrote: Let's watch what is happening with Terry McLaurin this year.  He's sitting out right now.  If he plays this year it's for 2.8M and he's valued around 20M.  Tee Higgins is slated to make 1.8M in 2023.  At some point it's going to become worth it to sit out a year.

Terry McLaurin will most likely be in training camp if he has a smart agent. The New CBA hammers down on players holding out unless they are under a Tag. MacLaurin will be fined almost 100k for missing Mandatory Mini-Camp if he goes on to miss Training Camp its 40k a day so up to 400k for all 10 days. If he misses pre-season games its 1/18th salary fine per game... Now you can say a guy can weather those fines and its true but the big thing for the new CBA is that if a player doesn't meet contractual obligations aka missing half of training camp they can lose an accrued season meaning they team will just own his rights for another year making the holdout meaningless. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(06-15-2022, 08:38 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Big fan of Higgins, but he will cost more than the Bengals will be able to afford to pay.

They can tag him but I'm not a fan of doing that. Imo if the player earns his money and you're not willing to pay that amount, then let him go get it elsewhere.

Careers are short in the NFL and you have to get yours while you can and Tee deserves his payday.

For what its worth I believe he will get around $18-20 million a year. As Pistons pointed out the list shown includes rookie contracts that make it appear lower somewhat.

I think the Bengals can afford him.  The cap is going up.

People forget that we paid Palmer the highest salary in the league along with Willie and Levi, Chad AND resigned TJ... with a much lower cap.

We can definitely do it.  Boyd and Mixon's future may be the ones we sacrifice.

Reply/Quote
We keep talking dollars but trade value has to be considered. I'm not saying we get a Tyreek Hill package, but let's see how our recent picks pan out the next few years.

Most of the core vets of the defense (and some OL) will be closer to 30 on their next deals, so if replacements don't earn those jobs (and the vets want to many years/dollars) we will have to restock in a hurry. Burrow could make ring chasing vets taking cheaper deals better, not just young picks. We would miss Tee, but if Chase were resigned and Boyd (likely) takes much less than Tee then the picks could look really good on defense.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2022, 10:31 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The Tee Higgins situation has Marvin Jones written all over it. At the time we had AJ who was our #1 - kind of like Chase.

Sadly, I think Tee is as good as gone. It's just going to be too pricey especially when you have so many other guys coming up for new deals.

Maybe you can get creative by cutting/trading Boyd and freeing up that money somehow - but that is going to be tough.

Right now, I see Tee as a legitimate #1 on a large number of NFL teams.  I would try to fight to keep him because of the different dimension he provides and excellent insurance if Chase were to ever miss a game or two.  

Higgins may also realize that he will almost never see another team's #1 CB while Ja'Marr is here, and I am also certain he loves playing with Joe Burrow. 

Personally, I would rather go cheap at slot WR, RB, and even TE (by cheap, I mean draft picks...and avoid big second contracts) and have the Trio of Joe, Ja'Marr, and Tee together.  I just think it gives defenses more trouble than almost any other combination of talent.  
Reply/Quote