Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's broken with this team in the Redzone ?
The 2019 Cincinnati Bengals have a redzone success rate (this is TD's only) of 36.84% this is 31st in the NFL ! The average is around 57% with the really good teams over 60%. We score a TD less than 4 tries out of 10.

Is it just the play calling ? I mean don't the players on the field have some responsibility ?

Is it as simple as just the Oline sucks ? Is it just the QB ? Not running the ball enough ?

36% is bad, really bad ! I don't have all the stats as to how many times we've ran the ball, thrown the ball, penalties, incomplete passes, turnovers etc.

I do know we're averaging scoring 15.2 points a game for the 31st ranking in the league. And I'm quite sure our redzone woes are a big reason why.

As has been stated by many in many threads our season high score is 23 ! And we've only scored 20+ three times. The point I'm really getting at is our offense is awful, not a news flash I know. And in no way do I dispute our defense needs a lot of help as well.

But we have no chance, at all, with this level of offensive ineptness moving forward into next season. You can't win in the NFL scoring 15 points a game and being this awful in the redzone.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 11:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The 2019 Cincinnati Bengals have a redzone success rate (this is TD's only) of 36.84% this is 31st in the NFL ! The average is around 57% with the really good teams over 60%. We score a TD less than 4 tries out of 10.

Is it just the play calling ? I mean don't the players on the field have some responsibility ?

Is it as simple as just the Oline sucks ? Is it just the QB ? Not running the ball enough ?

36% is bad, really bad ! I don't have all the stats as to how many times we've ran the ball, thrown the ball, penalties, incomplete passes, turnovers etc.

I do know we're averaging scoring 15.2 points a game for the 31st ranking in the league. And I'm quite sure our redzone woes are a big reason why.

As has been stated by many in many threads our season high score is 23 ! And we've only scored 20+ three times. The point I'm really getting at is our offense is awful, not a news flash I know. And in no way do I dispute our defense needs a lot of help as well.

But we have no chance, at all, with this level of offensive ineptness moving forward into next season. You can't win in the NFL scoring 15 points a game and being this awful in the redzone.

Its frustrating,its a new dey
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 11:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The 2019 Cincinnati Bengals have a redzone success rate (this is TD's only) of 36.84% this is 31st in the NFL ! The average is around 57% with the really good teams over 60%. We score a TD less than 4 tries out of 10.

A combination of Play calling and team ineptitude.  The OL cannot get push at the LOS rather they are relying on body turning for run plays.  Their Pass-Pro is okay which is why the were relying of pass plays.  

The short-yardage play calling is horrendous.  It is the second time they went shot-gun for less than a yard for either TD or first down.  
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 11:54 AM)fortyyearfan Wrote: Its frustrating,its a new dey

Indeed it is. I mean every time we cross midfield I start thinking ok, how they gonna screw this up ? Dalton missing receivers by 10 yards again ? Sack ? Bobby Hart false start ? 15 yard run called back for holding ? Interception ?

It seems like it's rare, very rare for this offense to look like there's any rhyme or reason to it. Flashes here and there but overall more keystone cops.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 12:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Indeed it is. I mean every time we cross midfield I start thinking ok, how they gonna screw this up ? Dalton missing receivers by 10 yards again ? Sack ? Bobby Hart false start ? 15 yard run called back for holding ? Interception ?

It seems like it's rare, very rare for this offense to look like there's any rhyme or reason to it. Flashes here and there but overall more keystone cops.

Zac Taylor is not a HEAD COACH, I thought he would be the answer,but in reality he is just a big mouth that cannot get it done.He is at this time not a head coach in this tough NFL. way over his head and he is not tuff enough on these players.Way too many problems and this is just a hugh mess,The Pats are going to kill them and they may claim a victory in the last game.its so insane.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 12:03 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: A combination of Play calling and team ineptitude.  The OL cannot get push at the LOS rather they are relying on body turning for run plays.  Their Pass-Pro is okay which is why the were relying of pass plays.  

The short-yardage play calling is horrendous.  It is the second time they went shot-gun for less than a yard for either TD or first down.  

I forget the exact sequence but wasn't our first play, 1st and goal from the two an empty backfield, 5 wide shotgun play ? I mean why take the threat of the run out of it 2 yards from the endzone ?
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 12:03 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Indeed it is. I mean every time we cross midfield I start thinking ok, how they gonna screw this up ? Dalton missing receivers by 10 yards again ? Sack ? Bobby Hart false start ? 15 yard run called back for holding ? Interception ?

Agreed.  Yesterday's game was perhaps the most confusing, given that we marched down the field with no issue most drives only to forget what to do when we're close.  
Reply/Quote
I thought Zac for the most part called a good game. The issue I have is abandoning the run in short yardage and near the goal line a couple times. Mixon was on fire and was breaking tackles and making people miss. Feed him the rock.

That said we generated a lot of yards on offense so its not like Zac called an outright terrible game. A little more accuracy from Dalton and Zac looks pretty good yesterday.
Reply/Quote
[Image: h3oedjcejifooonbnb4k.jpg]

Reply/Quote
We made a QB coach our HC and hoped for the best.  We don't have a legit OC.
Reply/Quote
Play calling
Reply/Quote
Depends what players they are putting out there.
You'd think it'd make sense to have Boyd, Eifert, and Mixon for sure.
Then add probably Tate (big target with mitts for hands, stud at TDs in college) and Ross (super quick separation, proved to be great RZ threat last year and also in college). Swap out Tate or Ross with Uzomah, an extra OL, or Bernard as needed.

Along with that, you also need to have well designed plays that can get the players open in shorter space.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 01:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: We made a QB coach our HC and hoped for the best.  We don't have a legit OC.

The more I think about it the more I think this is the biggest problem. Yes our Oline sucks, Dalton is average, no AJ and so on. 

But I think our play calling in the redzone has been bad, to predictable, vanilla. And when he does go off script or whatever he chooses the worst times and plays to do it.

Let's hope (because we know most likely ZT isn't leaving) he admits he needs to hire an experienced OC to pair up with Burrow.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 02:27 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The more I think about it the more I think this is the biggest problem. Yes our Oline sucks, Dalton is average, no AJ and so on. 

But I think our play calling in the redzone has been bad, to predictable, vanilla. And when he does go off script or whatever he chooses the worst times and plays to do it.

Let's hope (because we know most likely ZT isn't leaving) he admits he needs to hire an experienced OC to pair up with Burrow.

Unfortunately I think that’s highly unlikely. Taylor comes off as someone who always thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Depends what players they are putting out there.
You'd think it'd make sense to have Boyd, Eifert, and Mixon for sure.
Then add probably Tate (big target with mitts for hands, stud at TDs in college) and Ross (super quick separation, proved to be great RZ threat last year and also in college). Swap out Tate or Ross with Uzomah, an extra OL, or Bernard as needed.

Along with that, you also need to have well designed plays that can get the players open in shorter space.

That's the thing with me. Perhaps I'm wrong ? But it sure seems we get very vanilla most of the time. "Go out there men and line up in a standard set, run standard plays, cause that's all I've got". 

I'm not saying run a triple reverse every time we enter the redzone. But for crying out loud do something besides standard 5 step drops, runs up the middle and crap.

Mix it up with more motion, QB rollouts, two back sets, RB pitch and toss, something ! I mean if it's not obvious by now to ZT what we're doing in the redzone isn't working ???
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 02:36 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Unfortunately I think that’s highly unlikely. Taylor comes off as someone who always thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room.

You may be spot on with this ? Lets just hope the light comes on.
Reply/Quote
It's the play design that's a huge issue
And personal on the field
If you empty out a backfield then it's usually
What cover 0 no safety help and theres a spy on the QB.
1st and goal I'm lining up 3 TEs.
I fake to Mixon and bootleg rollout option to a TE
Who blocks inside then release
The defense bites on Mixon.
Easy 6.Mixon has been gashing the D all day.
The fact that Ross wasn't even a thought in the Red zone
Tells me ZT and BC have no clue
He only had 4 TDs in the red zone last year.
You got huge targets like Eifert and CJ yet have
No clue how to use them
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 02:49 PM)impactplaya Wrote: It's the play design that's a huge issue
And personal on the field
If you empty out a backfield then it's usually
What cover 0 no safety help and theres a spy on the QB.
1st and goal I'm lining up 3 TEs.
I fake to Mixon and bootleg rollout option to a TE
Who blocks inside then release
The defense bites on Mixon.
Easy 6.Mixon has been gashing the D all day.
The fact that Ross wasn't even a thought in the Red zone
Tells me ZT and BC have no clue
He only had 4 TDs in the red zone last year.
You got huge targets like Eifert and CJ yet have
No clue how to use them

The topper was watching Eifert make a one hand grab going out of bounds at the end of the game.

I know he hasn't been the playmaker he used to be but... c'mon man!!

He had like 3 targets and at least two were late in the game.

You just gotta get him and Uz involved in the redzone if you're passing.

The question of yesterday's game they didn't do it or use Mixon to run when he was on fire.

That's just stupid.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 03:04 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: The topper was watching Eifert make a one hand grab going out of bounds at the end of the game.

I know he hasn't been the playmaker he used to be but... c'mon man!!

He had like 3 targets and at least two were late in the game.

You just gotta get him and Uz involved in the redzone if you're passing.

The question of yesterday's game they didn't do it or use Mixon to run when he was on fire.

That's just stupid.

Even Taylor's daddy McVay figured out that easy throws to the TE can really help a struggling QB. Nearly every target last night seemed to go to Higbee, and Robert Woods.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Coaching.

1st and goal from the 2: 3 straight passes
1st and goal from the 8: 2 straight runs

3 total points

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote