Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's broken with this team in the Redzone ?
(12-09-2019, 03:27 PM)jason Wrote: Even Taylor's daddy McVay figured out that easy throws to the TE can really help a struggling QB. Nearly every target last night seemed to go to Higbee, and Robert Woods.

Hopefully Taylor watched that game. We definitely need to get our TEs more involved.

AJ being there would also help our RZ offense and offense overall.
Reply/Quote
There were some nice playcalls between the 20s (the Erickson throw was a great play, for example), and some WTFs from the 20 in. I missed the last quarter, and part of the 2nd, but that's what I saw.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tiger

The problem with what's broken in the red zone is wait for it------------ the play caller!!

Let's bunch the oline thisclosetogether which screams "Hey Defense, we're running the ball" and then they proceed to run Mixon/Bernard straight up the gut.

Zero imagination.

How about lining up with regular splits? If they do run up the middle, at least they start out with some gaps.
Better yet, let's get creative. Maybe some misdirection. Maybe pull a center or back side guard. Get Boomer to come in here for a few days and teach the QBs the art of the ball fake. Line and backs go one way AD makes a Boomeresque ball fake with an opposite bootleg and waltzes into the end zone. Use the Boomer play fake and hit a TE or OT eligible all by them selves.

A QB draw isn't very creative and probably has a 20% success rate...
The only thing I hate worse than Pittsburgh football...

...is Pittsburgh fans!!

SLIM--gone, but never forgotten...

Original Bengals message boards
Rep Points: 4726

Reply/Quote
Scheme the Rams for such a high profile offense struggle in the Redzone (15th this season and 16th this season). We need to have bigger formations down there.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 03:39 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Coaching.

1st and goal from the 2: 3 straight passes
1st and goal from the 8: 2 straight runs

3 total points

(12-09-2019, 03:43 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Hopefully Taylor watched that game. We definitely need to get our TEs more involved.

AJ being there would also help our RZ offense and offense overall.

TE's right ! It's like Taylor gets stuck in a zone and can't get out of it. Run the ball, run, run. Basic formation 5 step drop, throw, throw, throw to wide receivers. 

It's like he has no ability to think outside the box. 

(12-09-2019, 04:08 PM)Wyche Wrote: There were some nice playcalls between the 20s (the Erickson throw was a great play, for example), and some WTFs from the 20 in. I missed the last quarter, and part of the 2nd, but that's what I saw.

I agree, he showed us some innovation at times between the 20's. But it also seems to me he gets stuck, like a record skipping, focusing on only one thing. Especially in the redzone. He clams up or something ?
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2019, 11:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: The 2019 Cincinnati Bengals have a redzone success rate (this is TD's only) of 36.84% this is 31st in the NFL ! The average is around 57% with the really good teams over 60%. We score a TD less than 4 tries out of 10.

Is it just the play calling ? I mean don't the players on the field have some responsibility ?

Is it as simple as just the Oline sucks ? Is it just the QB ? Not running the ball enough ?

36% is bad, really bad ! I don't have all the stats as to how many times we've ran the ball, thrown the ball, penalties, incomplete passes, turnovers etc.

I do know we're averaging scoring 15.2 points a game for the 31st ranking in the league. And I'm quite sure our redzone woes are a big reason why.

As has been stated by many in many threads our season high score is 23 ! And we've only scored 20+ three times. The point I'm really getting at is our offense is awful, not a news flash I know. And in no way do I dispute our defense needs a lot of help as well.

But we have no chance, at all, with this level of offensive ineptness moving forward into next season. You can't win in the NFL scoring 15 points a game and being this awful in the redzone.

Simple,Andy Dalton.Just watch the film.This guy can’t compromise when a play breaks down.
Reply/Quote