Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's the knock on Preston Brown?
Bengals fans think Burfict and Brown are better than Bradley Chubb and Von Miller
Reply/Quote
Fake Bengals fans are not welcome in Jungle Noise.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 03:11 PM)Joelist Wrote: Fake Bengals fans are not welcome in Jungle Noise.

Yep.  I smell a troll.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:35 AM)BengalD Wrote: So after reading the article on Preston Brown this AM - I'm asking myself - what's the knock on Preston Brown?  With this guys credentials - why would the Bills let him go?  Now - If everything is as great as the Bengals.com article reads I'm actually kind of stoked about the linebacker situation - post suspension games.  To have Tez, Brown and Vigil on the field at the same time might be close to having the best LB tandem in the league this year.  Thoughts?

I really don't see how a LB corp with Vigil as a starter could be better than average, and I predict he won't be starting after Tez returns unless it's due to injuries.

Reply/Quote
[quote='Shake n Blake' pid='556179' dateline='1527698210']

I keep hearing that, but if he only played 2 downs, how did he lead the NFL in tackles? 

Usually those guys are types that stay on the field.

--------

Okay, let’s call him limited in pass coverage. Brown ran in the low 4.8’s coming out from the Ville. He has good instincts and is a solid tackler. In Cincy he likely will come out on 3rd down once Burfict is back.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 08:35 AM)BengalD Wrote: So after reading the article on Preston Brown this AM - I'm asking myself - what's the knock on Preston Brown?  With this guys credentials - why would the Bills let him go?  Now - If everything is as great as the Bengals.com article reads I'm actually kind of stoked about the linebacker situation - post suspension games.  To have Tez, Brown and Vigil on the field at the same time might be close to having the best LB tandem in the league this year.  Thoughts?

I wouldn't go that far. Maybe bottom 10 in the league. Why the hell do we never have a LBer that can cover?
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 03:56 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I wouldn't go that far. Maybe bottom 10 in the league. Why the hell do we never have a LBer that can cover?

because for some reason we don't like drafting them high.  and the ones we did , Rivers were not very good at all.  and don't tell me he was great before his jaw broke because he was another work out warrior who looked like Tarzan but played like Jane 
Reply/Quote
Brown came available for us more because he wanted to be somewhere new and also wanted to play for his "home team" more than any skill deficiency. He is a three down LB but a pure MIKE type LB. In other words he is best by far inside. Which is fine as we have lacked a true MIKE for years.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 03:51 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote:
(05-30-2018, 01:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I keep hearing that, but if he only played 2 downs, how did he lead the NFL in tackles? 

Usually those guys are types that stay on the field.

--------

Okay, let’s call him limited in pass coverage.  Brown ran in the low 4.8’s coming out from the Ville. He has good instincts and is a solid tackler.  In Cincy he likely will come out on 3rd down once Burfict is back.
Burfict ran a 5+ forty. Honestly I have no idea either way. I'm just not into labeling a guy before I see him play. Brown may surprise us in coverage. I don't think he'll be a Minter type of player.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 02:24 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I have a feeling we are going to be surprised by Vigil this year

I love my Bengals,I have been a die-hard fan since 1968 so I have seen it all,believe that.Heres my concerns about this 2018 team.Number one,everyone is unproven including the coaches which I think are not that good.The two biggest weaknesses on this team is ANDY DALTON,who is not a leader,in fact he sucks at trying to lead anything,and Marvin Lewis,who is way too conservative and lacks game time decisions.Those two alone is gonna cost us 7 games.I just am not getting a feel that these coaches know how to jell a team and have the killer attitude to win each sunday.When the nfl pundits come out with their rankings,its not that they hate the bungles as they call us,its just they know how this franchise is going to approach each week and with our tough division,its easy to see why they pick the steelers to win every year.They do not have any one in this division to play as physical as they do.They simple knock hell out of you all 60 minutes until you tag out.And the other reason I believe this is at best an 8 and 8 team is everyone else in football got a ton better as well as us.I hope every year we can finally break out,but after 45 years of insanity,I give up.Marvin should have been replaced with a better coach,and to get THAT GUY,you need to pay them serious cash and have a research team to go out and find him,not the family tree !!!!!!!
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 03:17 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yep.  I smell a troll.

You talking about the new guy that has made 2 posts, all today?
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 03:10 PM)873513 Wrote: Bengals fans think Burfict and Brown are better than Bradley Chubb and Von Miller

Considering that Chubb and Miller are edge rushers, that's not really any sort of fair analogy.   Hmm

Would you care to share your expanded thoughts on the matter?    Say What

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 03:10 PM)873513 Wrote: Bengals fans think Burfict and Brown are better than Bradley Chubb and Von Miller

What has Chubb done in the NFL?
Reply/Quote

I heard we were down a troll on our board roster.  Way to step up.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 05:37 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I love my Bengals,I have been a die-hard fan since 1968 so I have seen it all,believe that.Heres my concerns about this 2018 team.Number one,everyone is unproven including the coaches which I think are not that good.The two biggest weaknesses on this team is ANDY DALTON,who is not a leader,in fact he sucks at trying to lead anything,and Marvin Lewis,who is way too conservative and lacks game time decisions.Those two alone is gonna cost us 7 games.I just am not getting a feel that these coaches know how to jell a team and have the killer attitude to win each sunday.When the nfl pundits come out with their rankings,its not that they hate the bungles as they call us,its just they know how this franchise is going to approach each week and with our tough division,its easy to see why they pick the steelers to win every year.They do not have any one in this division to play as physical as they do.They simple knock hell out of you all 60 minutes until you tag out.And the other reason I believe this is at best an 8 and 8 team is everyone else in football got a ton better as well as us.I hope every year we can finally break out,but after 45 years of insanity,I give up.Marvin should have been replaced with a better coach,and to get THAT GUY,you need to pay them serious cash and have a research team to go out and find him,not the family tree !!!!!!!

Did it feel good to get that off your chest?  Cuz it had zero to do with the topic at hand.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 04:10 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: because for some reason we don't like drafting them high. 

Every position is important, but in a 4-3 scheme LBs are not as important as in a 3-4.  Almost all LBs drafted in the first round are 3-4 edge rushers.  In a 4-3 you have to get your pass rush from the front four, not the LBs.
Reply/Quote

Go away! Jungle Noise is for Bengals fans only.

Reply/Quote
(05-30-2018, 11:56 AM)sandwedge Wrote: If he can stand up and tackle the ball carriers at the line and not be a drag down tackler, 5 yds down field, then he will be huge upgrade over any inside backer we've had in a long time.

Yeah, I think the main goal here was to shore up a porous run defense.  I don't think they had any idea they were getting a hall of famer here.  If he can stop our pattern of whiffing in the gap and stop the ball carrier on contact (as you say) it will be a huge upgrade.  When Maualuga actually hit the ball carrier he was devastating.   But he whiffed a lot.  We never really got to see a healthy Minter, but I didn't like him when he played for Arizona.

I'm happy we made the acquisition.
Reply/Quote

Chubb and Miller are edge players not off the ball linebackers like Burfict and Brown. 

We are talking competely different types of players. Try again.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
It’s too late and I would never recommend making this guy change positions cuz I love him but I bet Hewitt woulda made a good linebacker lol. (Had this thought cuz someone said Kroft would put on a Vigil Jersey)

Weird thought eh?
Reply/Quote