Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's up with Andre Smith?
I didn't think they brought him in to be a back up. Is he much worse than expected? I haven't heard much about him or his situation. I didn't expect all pro by any means but I thought he would be on the field assuming he is healthy.
Reply/Quote
Crazy thing is TJ Johnson started at RG with Hopkins out.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure, but I have to wonder how long this staff will give the current line before some personnel changes are made. Continuity is generally good for an offensive line, but I think it's going to get tougher and tougher to keep trotting these clowns out there in the current incarnation.

Honestly, how much worse can Andre and Westerman be than Ogbuehi and TJ/Bodine?

I'd scour the fee agent ranks for tackles, too. It's not at all far fetched to think someone better than Ogbuehi may be out of a job right now. We don't need a good player to improve on his play. We just need one that's not a total disaster every time he takes the field.
Reply/Quote
Crazy thing is they gave him 1.5 million signing bonus to back up a bad o-line.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
He should not have been signed to begin with.

Had barely played last few years per injuries and there was a reason Zimmer sent him packing.

He is not even trying to show leadership on sideline and just wanders aimlessly about.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 11:20 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: I didn't think they brought him in to be a back up. Is he much worse than expected? I haven't heard much about him or his situation. I didn't expect all pro by any means but I thought he would be on the field assuming he is healthy.

He came in fat, out of shape, and couldn't rely on talent like he did in college.  An absolute waste of amazing talent.  You could see he wouldn't do shit here if you saw him at training camp.  Looked like old Sam Adams who barely had enough steam to jog off the field. 
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 11:30 PM)Synric Wrote: Crazy thing is TJ Johnson started at RG with Hopkins out.

And played pretty well considering he was next to a turnstile.  Remember, Zeitler suffered in his performance as well.  Imagine if they had the balls to admit Bodine is a turd and started him at Center.  Think the rest of the line might have realized they better pick their game or be dismissed?  Nope, now they can just point to the center and say, "well, I'm not as bad as HIM".
Reply/Quote
Heard he was lazy and overweight. Why not try Westerman, he is suppose to have a bad tude on the field.
Reply/Quote
Right before the season started Lapham said that Andre made it known that he has no intention of playing guard, and he still wants to be used as a tackle. The annoyance in Lapham's voice was obvious.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 03:16 PM)JumboTron Wrote: Right before the season started Lapham said that Andre made it known that he has no intention of playing guard, and he still wants to be used as a tackle.  The annoyance in Lapham's voice was obvious.

You mean to tell me a guy who had similar problems, injury issues, and bad mouthed the team after he left to Minnesota would be like that? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2017, 11:20 PM)hoosierbengal Wrote: I didn't think they brought him in to be a back up. Is he much worse than expected? I haven't heard much about him or his situation. I didn't expect all pro by any means but I thought he would be on the field assuming he is healthy.

Great point, with what we have seen so far it's puzzling why Smith hasn't been out there.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
Wait...you mean if you sign a guy that's 30 years old and has only played RT in the NFL...to play Guard that it doesn't just work out magically??? What?!?!?
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 03:30 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Wait...you mean if you sign a guy that's 30 years old and has only played RT in the NFL...to play Guard that it doesn't just work out magically??? What?!?!?

I actually am puzzled why he hasn't played tackle.  Wasn't looking for magic at guard.  Even at 30 can he be as bad as what has been on the field so far?  I didn't realize PFF grades went as low as what we have had for our entire line until this year.  

Certainly not saying Smith is the answer (or magic)....but he had some good moments for us in the past.

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote

Andre has been on a 3-4 year downslide of performance. He was bad in '15 with the Bengals, went to the Vikings and was terrible in '16 before he got hurt (hence why they wanted nothing to do with him), but Mike Brown would rather piss away $3m on a familiar shitty player (see Rey Maualuga 3yr/$15m deal in '15) than have to look for a good outside choice.

Laughed when people said he was going to be a great RG, even though he had been terrible for a couple years, was coming off an injury, and had never played the position. Sure enough, he's now making $3.25m and wasn't even activated for Week 1, getting beat out by both Tre Hopkins and TJ Johnson.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Smith was a douchebag before, even bigger douchebag now.

Reply/Quote
Well, let's see--he's fat, lazy, unmotivated, with a bad attitude and eroded skills. Other than that, he's a real blessing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 04:04 PM)McC Wrote: he's a real blessing.

Yep. To a triple cheeseburger! Fat-Ass!

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 04:39 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Yep. To a triple cheeseburger! Fat-Ass!

He's an honored member of the Megabelly club along with the two Pauls, Randy and Marv.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 03:39 PM)Quantum Bengal Wrote: I actually am puzzled why he hasn't played tackle.  Wasn't looking for magic at guard.  Even at 30 can he be as bad as what has been on the field so far?  I didn't realize PFF grades went as low as what we have had for our entire line until this year.  

Certainly not saying Smith is the answer (or magic)....but he had some good moments for us in the past.

So I thought when Whitworth left they'd play Smith at RT and Fisher at LT.

My guess is they think Fisher is doing ok and don't want to move him to LT.

But...I don't know.

For all we know, the Bengals could think the line is ok. After all, Bodine keeps starting at C.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2017, 04:44 PM)McC Wrote: He's an honored member of the Megabelly club along with the two Pauls, Randy and Marv.

Mike Brown probably takes them all out to eat at Wendy's. Doubt they all fit in the Lumina though.

Reply/Quote