Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What's with all the Twitter boycotts?
Seems many companies are jumping on board to no longer advertise on Twitter. Personally, I have a twitter account but never sign on to it. I guess people are afraid disinformation will be posted. Well, it has been for a long time on social media already. I say allow free speech and let me decide to believe it or not.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 05:07 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Seems many companies are jumping on board to no longer advertise on Twitter. Personally, I have a twitter account but never sign on to it. I guess people are afraid disinformation will be posted. Well, it has been for a long time on social media already. I say allow free speech and let me decide to believe it or not.

Maybe companies don't want to be on the same place where any given right winger is going to spit his hateful messages.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 05:07 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Seems many companies are jumping on board to no longer advertise on Twitter. Personally, I have a twitter account but never sign on to it. I guess people are afraid disinformation will be posted. Well, it has been for a long time on social media already. I say allow free speech and let me decide to believe it or not.

I have sympthies for that, at the same time it's a tricky position. It's not just about misinformation. Letting free speech reign on the internet also means letting racism and misogyny etc. blossom. Creating an atmosphere that many people won't feel comfortable in. Neither would I if I were a woman and would be called all kinds of awful names because of my gender. I don't find it desirable to turn sites like twitter into places where the hateful bullies ultimately chase away everyone else.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Couple points here:

1) If Apple or GM decides they don't want to spend their advertising dollars on a site it is not a boycott.  It is a business decision based on what they think their customers are using and want, or at least a majority of their customers.  They could be wrong but that is their decision.

2) "Free speech" doesn't apply to things like Twitter or FB...or the Bengals Message Board for that matter.  What is allowed to be posted and what is censored is up tot he people who own/run the platform.  The problem with Musk's "free speech" idea is that he has already said there will be moderation and he is already suspending accounts who say things he doesn't like.  Throw in that other countries have different moderation requirements and Musk jumped in without looking...again. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
Reply/Quote
If you buy a business with the express purpose of revamping it you shouldn't assume your sponsors are going to all stay the same.

Elon seems to be in " I want all the groceries in one bag, but I don't want the bag to be heavy" territory on this one.
Reply/Quote
Twitter has, over the years, become a spot for companies and individuals to release official news about their companies, teams, decisions etc. Look no further than Adam Schefter's tweets during free agency being treated as if they are official reports from teams about what players are signed in free agency and for how much.

Because of this, there has become an expectation that things said on Twitter, at least from people with "verified" accounts, is about as close to fact as you can reasonably get before the ink on the contract is dry.

Elon Musk's take over and subsequent decisions, such as opening verification up to anyone who wants it (which, in a way, makes it virtually meaningless, since the purpose of verification was not to make someone feel important, but rather to ensure to the public that the information from that twitter account was legitimate, at least as far as the purported owner of the account is concerned) along with a few other decisions, like firing over half the staff and unbanning Donald Trump and a few other consistent ToS violators (among other problems...*looks at Jan 6*) but banning people for making a parody Elon account and saying he likes to drink pee, has led to a corporate exodus because they don't trust the website to make sound business decisions anymore. And tying your brand to a business that you don't trust is just...well...bad business.

Apple doesn't need Twitter advertisements to be successful. They'll be fine.
Reply/Quote

Yeah, about that. You see, it appears that Conservatives are the ones most concerned about it . . . mainly because Conservative media is currently being sued for the spread of disinformation . . . if they can continue to drive this narrative/threat about their concerns about free speech, they increase their chances of muddying the waters for potential jurors.

My take from this is "If Conservatives can't make up bullshit about Liberals, how else can I get Independents to vote for me?"

If you or other Conservatives have other issues combining Twitter, Facebook and Free Speech, I'd like to hear them . . . so far, I haven't heard any reasons other than that.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 07:30 AM)Arturo Bandini Wrote: Maybe companies don't want to be on the same place where any given right winger is going to spit his hateful messages.

but are fine with Left wingers slinging lies as facts?
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 01:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: but are fine with Left wingers slinging lies as facts?

Tell me what and I'll answer.

And to be honest, I'm not Tim Apple.

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
You have to admire Elon's ability to spin that a declining interest in financially supporting his business ventures shows a lack of support of free speech.

Side note, I'm about to release a book and if you don't buy it you don't support free speech.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 01:04 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Yeah, about that. You see, it appears that Conservatives are the ones most concerned about it . . . mainly because Conservative media is currently being sued for the spread of disinformation . . . if they can continue to drive this narrative/threat about their concerns about free speech, they increase their chances of muddying the waters for potential jurors.

My take from this is "If Conservatives can't make up bullshit about Liberals, how else can I get Independents to vote for me?"

If you or other Conservatives have other issues combining Twitter, Facebook and Free Speech, I'd like to hear them . . . so far, I haven't heard any reasons other than that.

CNN settles lawsuit with Nick Sandmann stemming from viral video controversy

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/media/cnn-settles-lawsuit-viral-video/index.html
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 01:57 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: CNN settles lawsuit with Nick Sandmann stemming from viral video controversy

That's all nice and wonderful but that whataboutism doesn't answer my request.

So are you for spreading lies or against it? This tells me, free speech should be monitored because you're concerned about the spread of mis-information, right?
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
Remember in 2016? The hissy fit and an empty threat for a mass exodus to Canada and then nobody left? Yeah, it’s just that happening all over again but with their favorite play toy.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 01:57 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: CNN settles lawsuit with Nick Sandmann stemming from viral video controversy

They're coming after our free speech, CNN was just in the way.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: They're coming after our free speech, CNN was just in the way.

[Image: 28-Nina-Jankowicz.jpg]

And then a hero coooomes alooooong
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 03:30 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: [Image: 28-Nina-Jankowicz.jpg]

And then a hero coooomes alooooong

I'm not sure who that is, but my go-to joke song about heroes is that Bette Middler one.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 02:56 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: That's all nice and wonderful but that whataboutism doesn't answer my request.

So are you for spreading lies or against it? This tells me, free speech should be monitored because you're concerned about the spread of mis-information, right?

Not whataboutism, just facts.

I am against ALL, I repeat ALL media from spreading lies.

When did you get the Free Speech should be monitored feeling? When Musk bought Twitter? Hmm
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 03:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm not sure who that is, but my go-to joke song about heroes is that Bette Middler one.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/white-houses-former-disinformation-czar-nina-jankowicz-registers-foreign-agent
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 03:48 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Not whataboutism, just facts.
No. Facts or not, that's still whataboutism.
Quote:I am against ALL, I repeat ALL media from spreading lies.

Right. Let me guess. You just only seem to notice them when they're from the Left and you tend to ignore them from the Right? How many times did you openly call out Trump when he spewed bullshit? Are you one of these that thinks the Left lies just as much as the Right? Long before Trump, year after year Fox News viewers were consistently polled as least informed viewers of the big three cable news networks. Ever wonder why?

Quote:When have you got with the Free Speech should be monitored, when Musk bought Twitter? Hmm

Watching Roger Ailes' Fox News about 20 years ago. I peek in almost everyday. I'm never concerned with the facts they tell you, it's the obvious facts that they hold back that have concerned me for a couple of decades. That's why whenever I go over to my MAGA friends' house, they turn off all right wing media because I debunk and fill in the blanks for story after story and if I know my current Conservatives . . . you're not too fond of being told that you're being fed partial truths. Rip the Clinton News Network or MSNBET, I don't care . . . but rip into Fox News, OAN or Newsmax and here come the knuckle dragging, mouth breathing *ahem* "patriots" to defend their choice of media consumption usually through the very predictable whataboutism. Don't question it at all . . . just blindly defend it.
Only users lose drugs.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2022, 01:28 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: but are fine with Left wingers slinging lies as facts?

I would be curious what are the left wingers lies that are being passed as fact? Just curious that seems to be more of a right wing thing.
Reply/Quote