Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should the Bengals change scheme wise?
(06-26-2015, 04:30 PM)bearstronaut Wrote: My favorite play is perfectly executing a shovel pass.  More of those.

A shovel pass - by design - worries me.  It is a good way to release a shifty guy like Gio into space, but it seems they utilize a shovel pass more after a play has broken down.  I think it only works because it is not a designed play.  Seems if it were, it would be predictable, and quickly defended.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We spend lots of time arguing about what changes the Bengals should make to the roster and coaching staff, but what would you guys like to see them change regarding their schemes.

I know that a lot of people want to see us blitz more on defense, but that is not a big deal to me.  A 4-3 team needs to get pressure from the front four without blitzing.  Plus, even though we had problems getting pressure on the QB last year dropping 7 into coverage worked well enough to make our pass defense the only elite part of our team.

What I would like to see is the offense throw the ball to our TEs down the field more.  We have drafted some good receiving TEs, but we rarely see them throw the ball more than 5 or 10 yards downfield to our TEs.

Good topic.  It is going to sound decidedly un-sexy, but I would like to see the Bengals offense.....simply check the ball down to a RB.  It seems like putzburg, Indy, and New England are patient and will stay in with maximum protection, wait it out, and if nothing opens up down the field they will check it down to a RB who has no one near him for at least 5 yards.  It frustrates the hell out of me (and I'm sure our defense) when they cover downfield, but a quick checkdown to the RB gets an easy first down.   Simple, effective, and high %./ low risk
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 01:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Also get Gio involved as a receiver more than just a dump off or safety valve.

I don't think he would be a pure slot receiver, but we could still get him downfield on more wheel routes out of the backfield or in limited situations out of the slot.  Especially on first downs when the defense is in a base scheme instead of a nickle package.

I think Burkhead offers a unique dimension here with an ability to line up in the slot.  Gio will spell Hill and will be used on some third downs, but I want to see Rex play a much bigger role in the offense.  Brady destroyed teams with little dump-offs to Welker, and would take occasional shots down the field. 
Reply/Quote
I would like to see our offense exploit free plays by passing down field on defensive penalties, instead of settling for five yards.
Reply/Quote
A few times try Hill and Gio in the backfield together.....Gio as the quick and fast.....Hill as the power runner Paul Brown always had in Motley, Jim Brown, Phillips, Clark, Pete Johnson, Kinnebrew, Ickey.....

Not all the time.......but now and then to throw something different at defenses. .....just a basic 2 back and 2 WR and 1 TE formation of days of old as was James Brooks and Ickey Woods.....but also use 3 WR....4 WR....2 TE.....1 RB....no RB.....use it all....do it all.....keep the D guessing.

and mix it up on our defense also....keep the other team guessing.

Now some will say 2 RBs on plays is a waste because only one can carry the ball. The defense doesn't know which one though, and that is the problem for defenses. Plus, both these guys can catch, so it can always be one or both going out for passes and then 5 possible receivers if the defense see's 2 backs and goes into a run defense. Paul Brown won with it. ....Not all the time, no, but now and then, use a 2 back formation.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 08:41 PM)kevin Wrote: Now some will say 2 RBs on plays is a waste because only one can carry the ball. The defense doesn't know which one though, and that is the problem for defenses. 

Actually it is not really a problem.  When playing run defense a player has a certain area or fit that he is responsible for.  Doesn't matter who the ball is handed to the defender does the exact same thing.

There are still a handful of plays they could run with 2RBs during the course of a game, but it actually helps the defense because it allows them to bring the 8th man in the box when you have two RBs in the backfield.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 07:46 PM)FanStuckInIndy Wrote: A shovel pass - by design - worries me.  It is a good way to release a shifty guy like Gio into space, but it seems they utilize a shovel pass more after a play has broken down.  I think it only works because it is not a designed play.  Seems if it were, it would be predictable, and quickly defended.

A shovel pass is just like a screen pass.  It is designed to burn an over aggressive pass rush.
Reply/Quote
My thoughts on this thread.

-Everyone wants our TE's to run deep seam routes and do catch the ball deep down the field. I completely agree, but I don't think Coach Hayes knows what the 'seam' is.

- Double sets with Gio/Hill. Not a bad idea, and nice for some plays here and there. I think it would work well if we shifted Gio out 80% of the time in such a formation. If we did this, I think defenses would blitz the crap out of us and hope Dalton makes a mistake.

- The guy that wanted to incorporate more check down passes. I agree, but we need to be more creative in how our players get to our check downs. If you can remember the Colts debacle from last year (regular season), they blew us up on every checkdown/screen. I would actually prefer more fake screens.

What I would like to see is more of Sanu in the short passing game. Both years he has played he has been forced into an outside role, when he is much more suited for an inside one. --WTS Marvin and Sanu have switched off each year and I am excited to see what the team looks like with both on the field at the same time. Although, if trends continue, Sanu will be injured and Marvin will play the whole year.

ONE HUGE THING for me, is less short slants to AJ. Dear GOD it may be how I start every Madden game, but we really need to stop the 5 yard slant to AJ, when does it ever turn into something good? Usually its a Haden pick 6, or a broken AJ. Less of that please!!
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 04:36 PM)CornerBlitz Wrote: The foundation should be a potent running attack by Hill and complemented by Bernard. This should essentially give much more good opportunities for play action with Eifert running down the seem and Bernard catching out of the backfield.

Also have AJ Green go deep every opportunity he can. We have an elite WR that is tall and fast. In the end we need to play to our strengths which is AJ Green, Eifert, Hill and Bernard. I suppose that is half the offense which goes to show you we're pretty talented. Get the ball in these playmakers hands and out of you know who.

While AJ is tall and fast he is also lanky and light. It doesn't take much for a DB to throw him off of his route and on deep routes being thrown off just a few inches will lead to an incompletion or even worse an interception. With Dalton's accuracy to boot I would say the latter is more likely.
[Image: Untitleddfcopycopycopycopy_zps872b23c3.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 10:40 PM)Lawless_1 Wrote: While AJ is tall and fast he is also lanky and light. It doesn't take much for a DB to throw him off of his route and on deep routes being thrown off just a few inches will lead to an incompletion or even worse an interception. With Dalton's accuracy to boot I would say the latter is more likely.

Yeah, right.  Dalton sucks and Green is too weak.

That explains why Green is #3 all time in NFL history in receiving yards per game. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 11:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: We spend lots of time arguing about what changes the Bengals should make to the roster and coaching staff, but what would you guys like to see them change regarding their schemes.

I know that a lot of people want to see us blitz more on defense, but that is not a big deal to me.  A 4-3 team needs to get pressure from the front four without blitzing.  Plus, even though we had problems getting pressure on the QB last year dropping 7 into coverage worked well enough to make our pass defense the only elite part of our team.

What I would like to see is the offense throw the ball to our TEs down the field more.  We have drafted some good receiving TEs, but we rarely see them throw the ball more than 5 or 10 yards downfield to our TEs.

I would like to see us improve and use the screen game more.  Gio is great in the open field and I think the team should utilize him more in screen game. 
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 11:04 PM)hotweales Wrote: I would like to see us improve and use the screen game more.  Gio is great in the open field and I think the team should utilize him more in screen game. 

I feel like the screen has been a huge part of our offense the last couple of years.  Especially with Gio.  I recall years past where we never seemed to be able to run screen plays. 
Reply/Quote

Use more 2 WR and/or 2 TE sets, use the o line and RB strength, and impose our will on the defense. Bring in a 6th lineman when optimal, and wear out the defense. Mix in play action seam routes to the TE's, and the occasional shot play to Green and Jones. The strength on offense is the line, the backs, and one elite WR. Play to those strengths.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 01:42 PM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: How about more play-action?

I agree and would add more 5 to 7 step drops off of play action.

I would like to see if our OL could hold up and give our QB 3to 4 seconds minimum prior to any pressure. The play action may help slow down the defensive pressure.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
On defense, I would like to see us less predictable on 3rd and long. I agree our front 4 needs to do the bulk of the heavy listing. But, I also feel we could use more elaborate blitz packages at times.

Let's hope Geno gets back to pre-injury production. Then, line up the LBers in the center/guard gap more often as they used to do a lot with Burfict or Rey M causing the OL to get confused on their assignments.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2015, 11:29 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: On defense, I would like to see us less predictable on 3rd and long. I agree our front 4 needs to do the bulk of the heavy listing. But, I also feel we could use more elaborate blitz packages at times.

Agree.  When I said a 4-3 team should get pressure with just the front four i didn't mean we should never blitz.  And it seemed like when we did blitz it was net very effective.
Reply/Quote
I agree with what many say on the more screens, mix in some 2 back sets, and so on.

But I'd like to see a little more unpredictability mixed in. Draws out of 4 wide sets, deep routes out of running sets, mix in a flea flicker once a game - in the right situations of course.

I still feel we're to predictable at times.
Reply/Quote
Having Eifert and Marvin Jones back is huge. We absolutely missed them last year.

Jones was turning into a beast at the end of 2013.

Can't wait to see this team all healthy.

With Geno and MJ back to their best level, it won't be the same team next year.

We'll gonna be strong this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2015, 11:04 PM)hotweales Wrote: I would like to see us improve and use the screen game more.  Gio is great in the open field and I think the team should utilize him more in screen game. 

MLJ was also a beast here, and I think Kroft, Uzomah, and Hewitt can also be very good at what seemingly achieved 10 yards every time (probably why they rarely ran it)....the TE screen. 
Reply/Quote
I would like to see them change their ugly ass uniforms...
Reply/Quote