Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What still haunts you?
(09-12-2017, 11:46 AM)Bengalholic Wrote: Same.

Specifically, the press conference after Marvin was inked to a new deal in January, 2011.

At the time, Marvin had a 60-67-1 record in 8 seasons. In the previous 4 seasons before getting the new deal, he was just 25-38. And of course, his starting QB was threatening to retire rather than play another game for the Bengals.

The negotiations between Mike and Marvin had not exactly gone smoothly. In fact, Marvin walked away from the table and seemed to be done at one point. It took Katie getting more involved, a few concessions from Mike and a heart-to-heart call from Sam Wyche to finally get a deal done. It wasn't Marvin's losing record, or any on-filed failures, that had hung up the deal...it was about the amount of control each man wanted. Both 'settled' to get it the new deal finished.

The press conference that followed the most awkward, uncomfortable and depressing 'signing announcement' presser that I've ever witnessed. Neither Mike or Marvin seemed like they wanted to be there, and definitely not sitting next to each other. To me, it was an owner giving up a little more control than he was comfortable with, and a HC not getting the amount of control he felt he needed. Yet, they begrudgingly agreed to a new deal.

Some will argue that re-signing Lewis was a good thing because of the regular season success that followed (2011-2015). I would argue that the deal, an each extension since, has simply rewarded the failures of not only Lewis, but the entire organization

That press conference was indicative of the mindset of this franchise...which is settling for mediocrity.

Yeah the resigning was ridiculous considering Marvins coaching record. To the bold I feel that argument is kind of a BS defense for Marvin Lewis. I completely agree that the resigning of him was rewarding his failures as a Head Coach.

In my mind, we did better as a team because we got better players, not because Marvin Lewis became a better coach. Let's be honest here, part of the reason the Bengals did so bad before the resigning is because Carson Palmer had clearly checked out of this team mentally and because Lewis was ultra conservariety as a coach.. People would always use the excuse that Marvin should stay because he was able to get the Bengals to the playoffs but I personally feel a lot of coaches would have gotten the Bengals to the playoffs with the talent we've had over the years. 

I think one of the things that bothers me most is that when we resigned  Marvin Lewis we effectively allowed him to waste precious time of the talent we've had. I mean players like AJ Green and Dalton started in their early twenties and are now about to be 30. It makes me wonder what athletic talent we've wasted under these Marvin Lewis years.

I mean we can even go back to the Chad Johnson days. Chad Johnson could torch anyone out there. The fact that he never won a playoff game with the Bengals is crazy. 
Reply/Quote
Not drafting Ed Reed
Reply/Quote

Specifically, the press conference after Marvin was inked to a new deal in January, 2011.

At the time, Marvin had a 60-67-1 record in 8 seasons. In the previous 4 seasons before getting the new deal, he was just 25-38. And of course, his starting QB was threatening to retire rather than play another game for the Bengals.

The negotiations between Mike and Marvin had not exactly gone smoothly. In fact, Marvin walked away from the table and seemed to be done at one point. It took Katie getting more involved, a few concessions from Mike and a heart-to-heart call from Sam Wyche to finally get a deal done. It wasn't Marvin's losing record, or any on-filed failures, that had hung up the deal...it was about the amount of control each man wanted. Both 'settled' to get it the new deal finished.

The press conference that followed the most awkward, uncomfortable and depressing 'signing announcement' presser that I've ever witnessed. Neither Mike or Marvin seemed like they wanted to be there, and definitely not sitting next to each other. To me, it was an owner giving up a little more control than he was comfortable with, and a HC not getting the amount of control he felt he needed. Yet, they begrudgingly agreed to a new deal.

Some will argue that re-signing Lewis was a good thing because of the regular season success that followed (2011-2015). I would argue that the deal, an each extension since, has simply rewarded the failures of not only Lewis, but the entire organization. 

That press conference was indicative of the mindset of this franchise...which is settling for mediocrity.

The moment we re-signed Marvin will always leave a sour taste in my mouth. I was having a rough and scary day up to that point. I had to take my wife to the ER. We had finished talking to doctors and I was done making calls to family. My wife finally fell asleep for a needed nap. I decided to turn the TV on and flip it to ESPN. As soon as I did that, BREAKING NEWS pops up and says we re-signed Marvin. I was numb and dumbfounded at that point.

I know some people on here believe bringing him back was the right call because we were heading into the lockout, but it clearly wasn't. There were 8 official HC changes entering the lockout. 6 of the 8 teams improved on their 2010 records. Who didn't improve? Cleveland (shocker) and Minnesota. Minnesota was led by Leslie Frazier who was named interim HC during the 2010 season. So only 1 brand new coach fell off, and it was by one win.

That's why I will never buy that it was important to keep Marvin to lead the team.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Besides the obvious playoff meltdown against Pitt, the 2006 season was the first real sign that Marvin was not going to be able to take this team all the way. So many awful moments that season.

1. Getting embarrassed by the Pats while we were favored was the beginning.
2. The Tampa Bay fiasco.
3. Blowing the huge lead against the Chargers.
4. The super flat prime-time performance against the Colts. (If anyone remembers, I think we gave up the same seven yard completion to the same rb like 20 times in a row. It was just pathetic.)
5. The heart breaker against Denver (That was actually a good performance from the team.)
6. The missed field goal and the season ending Santonio Holmes OT TD.

I was probably more upset that season than any other since.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
-Palmer going down in the playoffs.
-2009 When the O was straight trash against a crummy Rex Ryan Jets team.
-JJ Watt picking off Dalton for the pick 6 in the playoffs before halftime.
-Gio's Fumble before half time against the Chargers.
-Andy Dalton breaking his thumb during THE year.
-Jeremy Hill's Fumble and consequent finish.
Reply/Quote

The negotiations between Mike and Marvin had not exactly gone smoothly. In fact, Marvin walked away from the table and seemed to be done at one point. It took Katie getting more involved, a few concessions from Mike and a heart-to-heart call from Sam Wyche to finally get a deal done. It wasn't Marvin's losing record, or any on-field failures, that had hung up the deal...it was about the amount of control each man wanted. Both 'settled' to get it the new deal finished.

Some will argue that re-signing Lewis was a good thing because of the regular season success that followed (2011-2015). I would argue that the deal, an each extension since, has simply rewarded the failures of not only Lewis, but the entire organization. 

Oh yes !!

That was the day we were doomed to suffer on for ................. who knows ??????

It's really a very weird situation us Bengal fans have no choice but to tolerate. We have an Owner/GM who fancies himself a capable leader who refuses to see the situation for what it really is - failure. He refuses to move on from Marvin even though any sensible leader would understand Marvin just isn't capable of getting it done.

Twenty six years and still going and won't hire a GM, a real football guy to start changing the culture. I don't buy for a second Mike has really relinquished power. Oh he let's Katie, Marvin, and Duke play around on the fringes. But he still calls the shots.

Mike's whole honoring contracts is just code for being cheap. It's just a matter of time before this crew is exactly where Corey Dillon, Chad Johnson, Carson Palmer and dozens of others have surely been. I think we saw AJ's first showing of it late in the game Sunday.

I have no doubt this offensive line cluster%$^% is Mike's doing. I can hear him saying "we're not paying big money for O-linemen when we have two guys you drafted ready to take their place" The results are secondary in Mike's mind.

I could go on and on for pages but it matters not.
Reply/Quote
The Pitt meltdown still bugs the hell out of me and will for some time , we were finally on our way to a playoff win and they just snatched defeat from the jaws of victory !!
Reply/Quote
New Year's Day 1976.  Paul Brown retires as coach & names Bill "Tiger" Johnson as new head coach instead of Bill Walsh.  What might have been.
Reply/Quote
Giving away the sweetest deal in NFL history in exchange for Akili Smith.
Reply/Quote
(09-13-2017, 11:32 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: Giving away the sweetest deal in NFL history in exchange for Akili Smith.

WHO ?
Reply/Quote