Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
What team will make the second NL wildcard?
The Reds are hanging on by a thread. I see San Diego having a tough road playing the Dodgers and Giants. I am really concerned about the Cardinals. That organization knows how to win games and they are only a few back. The Phillies also have a tough schedule remaining. I like the Reds chances. But, like Yogi Bera used to say it ain't over til its over.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-05-2021, 03:22 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: The Reds are hanging on by a thread. I see San Diego having a tough road playing the Dodgers and Giants. I am really concerned about the Cardinals. That organization knows how to win games and they are only a few back. The Phillies also have a tough schedule remaining. I like the Reds chances. But, like Yogi Bera used to say it ain't over til its over.

The Reds have 23 games left. 18 of them are against teams that aren't that great to downright bad (9 games vs Pirates). You would think they could win a dozen or more of those 18 and pick off a couple from White Sox and Dodgers and get around the 90 win area. Steal a WC spot.

But I'm just not feeling it, they're fading fast.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Reds certainly won't be it if they don't start hitting again, and if Bell won't knock it off with that Brach shit. Already had to take Doolittle and Hembree out of his hands so he couldn't keep putting them in close games. Now it's Brach in a tied game. Sure David, the guy with a ~5.60 ERA over the last 3 seasons is the best choice for a tied game. Ignore the fact that he's now allowed 12 runs over his last 7 outings/4.2 innings.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
At this point, I'd be surprised if the Reds make it.

They're folding to the Pirates in mid September? Yikes.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 10:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: At this point, I'd be surprised if the Reds make it.

They're folding to the Pirates in mid September? Yikes.

I'd be pretty shocked, they've folded.
Reply/Quote
time to move on from bell?
Reply/Quote
They don’t feel like going into the NL West as a WC team and get no-hit.

And when Castellanos leaves via his player option, we’ll sign a couple has-beens and never-were’s to “battle for the RF spot”. Like how they did with their bullpen and the SS position this year. Maybe hire another Deshields or Bell to further the nepotism thing they got going on.

Really wish Cardinal Bob would sell the team to someone who cares.
Reply/Quote
Well, here we are with only a few weeks of the season left and the Cardinals have taken over as I suspected. The Reds will probably win against the Dodgers because they do terrible against bad teams like the Pirates. lol
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 08:22 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: Well, here we are with only a few weeks of the season left and the Cardinals have taken over as I suspected. The Reds will probably win against the Dodgers because they do terrible against bad teams like the Pirates. lol

i mean we have a chance 9 of our last games are against last place teams.
Reply/Quote
(09-17-2021, 08:22 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote:  they do terrible against bad teams like the Pirates. lol

We are 11-3 versus the Pirates this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-16-2021, 12:12 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: And when Castellanos leaves via his player option, we’ll sign a couple has-beens and never-were’s to “battle for the RF spot”. Like how they did with their bullpen and the SS position this year. Maybe hire another Deshields or Bell to further the nepotism thing they got going on.

Really wish Cardinal Bob would sell the team to someone who cares.

So I guess you just became a Reds fan this year.

Because everyone else here knows that the Reds have made a lot of big moves the last few years to bring in guys like Moustakas, Castellanos, Wade Miley, Sonny Gray, and Trevor Bauer.

Or maybe you just love to whine.
Reply/Quote
(09-21-2021, 05:44 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So I guess you just became a Reds fan this year.

Because everyone else here knows that the Reds have made a lot of big moves the last few years to bring in guys like Moustakas, Castellanos, Wade Miley, Sonny Gray, and Trevor Bauer.

Or maybe you just love to whine.

Nope, fan since 1983. It’s not whining, it’s WANTING a championship caliber team again. Something that will not happen under Cardinal Bob and his cronies. Every year it’s something new. Got pitching? No offense! Got hitting?! No bullpen! Add in the recent past..scoring NO runs last year in the playoffs with a top 5 rotation. Getting no-hit by Philly years ago. Tanking a two game series lead to the Giants. Ya just become jaded. It was absolutely LAZY of them to not sign a SS, then let Suarez and Farmer platoon with Suarez batting under his weight for the second year in a row. Didn’t spend that money on Bauer (hindsight 20/20 we dodged a bullet there), didn’t use that money to find a SS, then they fill their bullpen with has beens, never weres, and shoulda nevers.
Call it whining all ya want, I call it being critical!
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2021, 07:35 PM)The D.O.Z. Wrote:  It was absolutely LAZY of them to not sign a SS, then let Suarez and Farmer platoon with Suarez batting under his weight for the second year in a row.

No it was not lazy.  It was an attempt to get the best players on the field.  Suarez's 2020 slugging% would have been top 10 for SS and his OPS 12th.  He also hit at a pace to deliver 44 HR and 110 RBI.

No one knew his offense would fall of so much this year.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No it was not lazy.  It was an attempt to get the best players on the field.  Suarez's 2020 slugging% would have been top 10 for SS and his OPS 12th.  He also hit at a pace to deliver 44 HR and 110 RBI.

No one knew his offense would fall of so much this year.

They never intended for Suarez to start until they were practically forced to put him there.  Krall specifically said that they cut payroll via releasing Bradley and tradng Iglesias for nothing in order to pursue a shortstop, then they didn't.  Lazy probably isn't the word I'd use, but it definitely wasn't the plan to get Suarez into the position. 

Doesn't matter now anyway, as Barerro is more than ready to take over, and if he isn't Farmer has proven himself to be capable (if he can replicate what he's doing now next year).  

I feel like we have a good chance of seeing Farmer at short net summer with Barerro going to center, where he's been taking reps lately.  I wouldn't totally despise it, but I hate to move a long term answer at short in favor of a veteran who's slightly above average and not likely to be here much longer.  That said, if Matt McClain is the real deal as he seems to be, they should have another young and talented SS prospect arriving in the next couple of years.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2021, 04:18 PM)samhain Wrote: They never intended for Suarez to start until they were practically forced to put him there.  Krall specifically said that they cut payroll via releasing Bradley and tradng Iglesias for nothing in order to pursue a shortstop, then they didn't.  Lazy probably isn't the word I'd use, but it definitely wasn't the plan to get Suarez into the position. 

Doesn't matter now anyway, as Barerro is more than ready to take over, and if he isn't Farmer has proven himself to be capable (if he can replicate what he's doing now next year).  

I feel like we have a good chance of seeing Farmer at short net summer with Barerro going to center, where he's been taking reps lately.  I wouldn't totally despise it, but I hate to move a long term answer at short in favor of a veteran who's slightly above average and not likely to be here much longer.  That said, if Matt McClain is the real deal as he seems to be, they should have another young and talented SS prospect arriving in the next couple of years.

Below average overall. Farmer has a wRC+ of 91, and has +1 DRS with his glove. His career year this year has him as a good bench player.

To give you an idea, Freddy Galvis had a 88 wRC+ and 0 DRS with the Reds in 2020, so Farmer at his best is a very very slight improvement over 2020 Freddy Galvis.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
Just saw this line on the Milwaukee bullpen on the YouTube game.

Suter 12 wins leads all MLB relievers.
Strickland 1.83 ERA in 34.1 innings since joining Milwaukee after massively sucking with the Angels
Boxberger 56 scoreless appearances - 2nd in MLB
Williams 14.6 strikeouts per 9 innings - 5th in MLB
Hader 15.4 strikeouts per 9 innings - 2nd in MLB

The Reds would probably be sitting on 100 wins with that bullpen. Oh, hold it. Make that 93 wins when factoring in David Bell's managerial prowess.
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
When the Dodgers play the Cardinals for the WC game in LA, I'll officially be routing for the earthquake that swallows the field and both teams whole.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2021, 11:22 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: When the Dodgers play the Cardinals for the WC game in LA, I'll officially be routing for the earthquake that swallows the field and both teams whole.

I don't wish bad things, but at least one of our beloved teams will be eliminated with the playin game.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
The reds keep trying to build home run hitting teams, just like the 2013-2015 teams. Problem, is you live and die by the homer. Good pitching shuts down home runs, then you have to rely on multiple base hits to score. This team has no speed, can’t steal a base, can’t hit against the shift and strike outs way too much. Give me batting average, team speed and players who are team players and not trying to get that massive contract by hitting home runs.
Reply/Quote