Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What the Hell- early 70s Bengals
Can one of the old timers explain to me how that team didn't win multiple Superbowls?

Defense-Mike Reid was a dominate DT, Bill Bergey was a Top LB, Casanova, Riley, and Parrish were all HOF caliber players in the secondary. That defense alone should have brought at least one title to Cincinnati.

On offense Ken Andrerson HOF Caliber QB, Isaac Curtis HOF caliber WR, Charlie Joyner HOF WR!

Coaching Staff Paul Brown and Bill Walsh.

Seriously How in the blue Hell did that team not win Multiple Championships.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
The Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders were better.
Reply/Quote
Well, I can't speak much on the early 70's I was to young. As my username indicates I went to my 1st Bengals game in 1974, I was 10 years old. It was vs. Houston Oilers and we lost.

In the mid 70's we ran into the Steelers (One of the greatest teams of the era) I puked a little bit typing that. In 1 draft 1972 I dunno somewhere in there thy drafted 4 HOFers in 1 draft ! And the Raiders with John Madden among others who were some damn good teams.

Kenny Anderson got hurt in the late 70's and had a couple very down seasons. Many, myself included believe that is one of the reasons he hasn't made the HOF. I'm just going off the top of my head but I believe it was the 78 regular season ? everybody was wanting him ran out of town. The announcers on TV would even comment "how much longer can the Bengals continue putting him out there ?"

One of the bigger what if's out there is Bill Walsh ? Again I'm just going off the top of my head not looking all this up. But somewhere in there, late 70's Paul Brown stepped down as the on field HC. Bill Walsh was a candidate for the position as Was Tiger Johnson. Paul chose Tiger and Bill left for the 49ers and the rest is history. Paul was old school to a large degree, 3 yards in a cloud of dust type offense and I don't think he really saw eye to eye with Bill and the Ohio river offense which went on to be called the west coast offense. But it was a giant mistake on Paul's part.

And I dunno ? It just wasn't meant to be.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 02:39 AM)J24 Wrote: Can one of the old timers explain to me how that team didn't win multiple Superbowls?

Defense-Mike Reid was a dominate  DT,  Bill Bergey was a Top LB, Casanova, Riley, and Parrish were all HOF caliber players in the secondary. That defense alone should have brought at least one title to Cincinnati.

On offense Ken Andrerson HOF Caliber QB,  Isaac Curtis HOF caliber WR,  Charlie Joyner HOF WR!

The Steel Curtain happened.....and Earl Campbell was very good. That was just in their division.....

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Joe Montana and the 49ers...
Reply/Quote
I'm going to get burned at the stake for this hot take.
I think Paul Brown just got outcoached.

1970. They get shutout by the Colts 17-0
1973 Dolphins won easily 34-16
1975 Raiders won 31-28

In the 1st 2 playoff games the offense failed
To produce TDs.
Isaac Curtis was held in check in the Dolphins loss.
They didnt even try to target Bob Trumpy

75 vs Raiders the offense yet again started
Out slow and finally in the 4th q. The offense
Came alive putting up 14.

Cincy had as much firepower as the Dolphins
And Raiders yet came up short offensively

I think PB failed to make adjustments
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 11:34 AM)impactplaya Wrote: I'm going to get burned at the stake for this hot take.
I think Paul Brown just got outcoached.

1970. They get shutout by the Colts 17-0

In 1970 the Bengals were in their third season as an expansion team in an era WITH NO FREE AGENTS.  It was an amazing feat to even win the division.

After the Colts beat the Bengals in the playoffs they beat a Raiders team lead by Hall-of-Fame coach John Madden in the conference Championship game and a Cowboys team lead by Hall-of-Fame coach Tom Landry in the Super Bowl.

(06-20-2022, 11:34 AM)impactplaya Wrote: 1973 Dolphins won easily 34-16

The '73 Bengals were a very good team, but again, after beating the Bengals in the playoffs the Dolphins beat the Raiders under Hall-of-Fame coach Madden in the Conference Championship game and then a Vikings team lead by Hall-of-Fame coach Bud Grant.

(06-20-2022, 11:34 AM)impactplaya Wrote: 1975 Raiders won 31-28

Tough 3 point loss on the road against a very good Raiders team.  Raiders were a 6.5 point favorite.  No need for any "excuses" for losing that game.  
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 09:34 AM)shuffle Wrote: The Dolphins, Steelers and Raiders were better.

those powerhouses made life tough on everyone in the 70s.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 02:39 AM)J24 Wrote: Can one of the old timers explain to me how that team didn't win multiple Superbowls?

Defense-Mike Reid was a dominate  DT,  Bill Bergey was a Top LB, Casanova, Riley, and Parrish were all HOF caliber players in the secondary. That defense alone should have brought at least one title to Cincinnati.

On offense Ken Andrerson HOF Caliber QB,  Isaac Curtis HOF caliber WR,  Charlie Joyner HOF WR!

I am sure Fran Tarkenton, Bud Grant, Chuck Foreman, Alan Page, and Carl Eller have similar thoughts in Minnesota. 

Answer: The Dolphins, Steelers, and Raiders were better. 

Dolphins. Shula. Griese. Warfield. Csonka. Larry Little. Jim Langer. Nick Buoniconti. 

Steelers. Knoll. Bradshaw. Harris. Swann. Stallworth. Mike Webster. Mean Joe Green, Mel Blount, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert. Donnie Shell.  

Raiders. Madden. Stabler. Belitnekoff. Dave Casper. Art Shell. Jim Otto. Gene Upshaw. Bob Brown. Ray Guy. George Blanda. Ted Hendricks. Willie Brown.  

All those guys are HOFers who played for those teams in the 70's. 
Reply/Quote

One thing that is often overlooked is the playoff structure was significantly different.  Only one wild card.  There were 3 great teams in the AFC:  Miami, Oakland, and Pittsburgh.  Not much room to make the playoffs and have a chance.  Plus not as many chances for the 'favorite' to get upset and give someone else a chance.  Under expanded WC rules, Bengals would have made post-season one or two more times at least.  If they made playoffs half of the 70s you would think they were pretty good, right?

Also, early in decade Ken Anderson was not the man yet.  Virgil Carter was QB IIRC.  So, team was at a little disadvantage there, too. Trumpy always said if Greg Cook didn't get hurt they would have won multiple titles.  Might be hyperbole, but QB matters a lot.  That might have been all they needed to get over the hump.

But OP has a good point.  The early Bengals were much better than people remember because of no post-season success.  The zero Super Bowl wins and lost decade plus really kills the franchise in historical measures.  IMHO a good decade with Joe Burrow permanently changes all that.  I just I hope I live to see it. Cheers
Reply/Quote

Defense-Mike Reid was a dominate DT, Bill Bergey was a Top LB, Casanova, Riley, and Parrish were all HOF caliber players in the secondary. That defense alone should have brought at least one title to Cincinnati.

On offense Ken Andrerson HOF Caliber QB, Isaac Curtis HOF caliber WR, Charlie Joyner HOF WR!

Bergey and Reid were gone by ‘75 just as the offense was hitting its ‘70s peak. Bill Walsh left after the ‘75 season and just like that the window had passed.

As others pointed out the AFC was top heavy in those days. Mia/Oak/Pit all dominant.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2022, 07:14 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I am sure Fran Tarkenton, Bud Grant, Chuck Foreman, Alan Page, and Carl Eller have similar thoughts in Minnesota. 

Answer: The Dolphins, Steelers, and Raiders were better. 

Dolphins. Shula. Griese. Warfield. Csonka. Larry Little. Jim Langer. Nick Buoniconti. 

Steelers. Knoll. Bradshaw. Harris. Swann. Stallworth. Mike Webster. Mean Joe Green, Mel Blount, Jack Ham, Jack Lambert. Donnie Shell.  

Raiders. Madden. Stabler. Belitnekoff. Dave Casper. Art Shell. Jim Otto. Gene Upshaw. Bob Brown. Ray Guy. George Blanda. Ted Hendricks. Willie Brown.  

All those guys are HOFers who played for those teams in the 70's. 

You forgot Mercury Morris. Cool

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

F*****g Steelers
Reply/Quote
In 1975 the Bengals the Bengals had a window to get to the SB. The Dolphins were not the same Dolphins
From 1970 to 74. The WFL had Csonka and Kiick. I think Warfield was in decline
So really All PB had to do beat Pittsburgh that year in the regular season. That would have made Cincy
Division champs.
But the Steelers swept the Cats.
The best AFC teams were the Colts , Bengas
Raiders Steelers that year
Then in 76, Tiger Johnson wet the bed vs the Steelers
75 and 76 were the Bengals prime years for the SB
In the 70s.
But going 0-4 vs Pittsburgh was the X factor
Reply/Quote
Just as an aside with some relevance.

I once did an analysis of Ken Anderson's performance against the Steelers in his career. So many games he was cheap shotted out of the game along with some legitimate hard hits the benched him.
But in the games that Anderson started and FINISHED. He was 14-14 against a team full of HOFer's...and that includes some of those mid/late 70's Bengals teams that were borderline awful. I didn't look it up any other QB's but I doubt there were many who had a better win percentage. I think Stabler might be up there.
Just sayin'
Reply/Quote