Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What the other AFC North teams did and the Bengals didnt do
Anybody see a pattern with the Ravens Steelers and Browns this off season?
The Steelers signed Melvin Ingram.
The Ravens signed Justin Houston
The Browns signed Jadeveon Clowney and Tak McKinely.
2 of these 3 teams have elite pass rushers.
Yet they still.brought in edge rushers who have shown
They can disrupt a pocket and still have something left in the tank

There are a couple things that I find concerning
The Bengals never once shown any intrest in any of these pass rushers
Yeah they had McKinely signed but he failed a physical last year
Last time they let a injury scare them on a pass rusher
He went to Tampa and led the league in sacks.

Heres the other thing.
These AFC North teams brought in experienced edge rushers
The Bengals on the other hand behind Williams and Reiff are young
And inexperienced at the OTs.
If our OTs miss any time, we now face the possibility that our
Young OTs will have possibly face a Ingram or Houston.
How come the Bengals arent countering the moves by the other
North teams and bringing experienced OT depth?
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 10:12 PM)impactplaya Wrote: Anybody see a pattern with the Ravens Steelers and Browns this off season?
The Steelers signed Melvin Ingram.
The Ravens signed Justin Houston
The Browns signed Jadeveon Clowney and Tak McKinely.
2 of these 3 teams have elite pass rushers.
Yet they still.brought in edge rushers who have shown
They can disrupt a pocket and still have something left in the tank

There are a couple things that I find concerning
The Bengals never once shown any intrest in any of these pass rushers
Yeah they had McKinely signed but he failed a physical last year
Last time they let a injury scare them on a pass rusher
He went to Tampa and led the league in sacks.

Heres the other thing.
These AFC North teams brought in experienced edge rushers
The Bengals on the other hand behind Williams and Reiff are young
And inexperienced at the OTs.
If our OTs miss any time, we now face the possibility that our
Young OTs will have possibly face a Ingram or Houston.
How come the Bengals arent countering the moves by the other
North teams and bringing experienced OT depth?

You left out we brought in Trey Hendrickson who is much younger and the better prospect as an edge rusher. 13.5 sacks.

We had 17 sacks total last year. If Ogunjobi, Reader, Hubbard improve from last year we could be insanely better this year.

All those guys the rest of the AFC North brought in I wanted but they are now depth pieces at this point in their careers.

Good moves by them but I would rather have Hendrickson and extend Hubbard along with Ossai and Sample for the future.

We definitely need depth on the OL, completely agree there. Bring in Mitchell Schwartz is still my call if he is healthy.

Even if he isn't once he is, he could be a great fill in for either Reiff or Jonah at OT once Mitch gets healthy. Not so sure about rooks.
Reply/Quote
Steelers and Ravens brought in old pass rushers. When the Bengals do that they get called cheap lol
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Steelers and Ravens brought in old pass rushers. When the Bengals do that they get called cheap lol

Yeah, screams of Dansby, AJ Hawk, James Harrison signings to me ha ha
Reply/Quote
Bengals brought in Trey Hendrickson and Larry Ogunjobi then drafted 4 defensive linemen...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You left out we brought in Trey Hendrickson who is much younger and the better prospect as an edge rusher. 13.5 sacks.

We had 17 sacks total last year. If Ogunjobi, Reader, Hubbard improve from last year we could be insanely better this year.

All those guys the rest of the AFC North brought in I wanted but they are now depth pieces at this point in their careers.

Good moves by them but I would rather have Hendrickson and extend Hubbard along with Ossai and Sample for the future.

We definitely need depth on the OL, completely agree there. Bring in Mitchell Schwartz is still my call if he is healthy.

Even if he isn't once he is, he could be a great fill in for either Reiff or Jonah at OT once Mitch gets healthy. Not so sure about rooks.

I know the Bengals added Hendrickson. He is the our version
Of Watt Garrett etc etc.
But the Bengals didnt even bother to add even more experienced.DE help. 
Behind Hendrickson where is the proven
Pass rusher?  Don't say Hubbard cause he isnt even in the same level
As far as pass rush ability as a Ingram or Clowney.
Although Hubbard could really blossom.this year....
The Bengals are putting alot of faith in these 2021 draft picks
To get to the QB.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals brought in Trey Hendrickson and Larry Ogunjobi then drafted 4 defensive linemen...

I really like Hubert as well, too bad he got injured. Shelvin could be a damn good run stopper for us at NT.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You left out we brought in Trey Hendrickson who is much younger and the better prospect as an edge rusher. 13.5 sacks.

(08-04-2021, 11:39 PM)Synric Wrote: Bengals brought in Trey Hendrickson and Larry Ogunjobi then drafted 4 defensive linemen...

The problem with this line of thought is that the OP clearly said they had elite guys on those teams and brought in talented guys to compete and take rotational snaps on the edge.

If you want to call Hendrickson a much better and younger prospect, then make sure you are comparing him correctly. Hendrickson is being asked to be the "elite" guy on the edge in Cincinnati, meaning he needs to be compared to Myles Garrett and T.J. Watt and who ever replaces Judon in Baltimore (guessing Ngakoue). On that list Hendrickson isn't in the same league of Garrett and Watt at this point... it is a laughable concept to even compare them.

The correct comparison for Justin Houston and Ingram and Clowney would be Sam Hubbard. Sam's a great run defender but not someone who has done much in terms of pass rush numbers outside of 2019. 

I really find it hard to believe that anyone posting here in this thread would have been upset to see Ingram or Houston in Cincinnati... matter of fact I see several names here that were in the FA section saying the Bengals should sign these guys for rotational depth. They are vets, who can cause havoc and have done so in the past. Being asked to not be "the guy" now and being a situational pass rusher will probably do a great deal for their overall production this year.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
It consistently amazes me how a stout pass rush combined with excellent edge discipline makes linebackers and the secondary look good. Maybe there’s something to this; Marvin Lewis did this in Baltimore and Buddy Ryan did this in Chicago.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:02 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It consistently amazes me how a stout pass rush combined with excellent edge discipline makes linebackers and the secondary look good. Maybe there’s something to this; Marvin Lewis did this in Baltimore and Buddy Ryan did this in Chicago.

It's almost like no matter how much the game evolves and changes, still need to win at the point of attack on either side of the ball to have success...  

Of course, that type of thinking gets you labeled around these parts. 

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:57 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The problem with this line of thought is that the OP clearly said they had elite guys on those teams and brought in talented guys to compete and take rotational snaps on the edge.

If you want to call Hendrickson a much better and younger prospect, then make sure you are comparing him correctly. Hendrickson is being asked to be the "elite" guy on the edge in Cincinnati, meaning he needs to be compared to Myles Garrett and T.J. Watt and who ever replaces Judon in Baltimore (guessing Ngakoue). On that list Hendrickson isn't in the same league of Garrett and Watt at this point... it is a laughable concept to even compare them.

The correct comparison for Justin Houston and Ingram and Clowney would be Sam Hubbard. Sam's a great run defender but not someone who has done much in terms of pass rush numbers outside of 2019. 

I really find it hard to believe that anyone posting here in this thread would have been upset to see Ingram or Houston in Cincinnati... matter of fact I see several names here that were in the FA section saying the Bengals should sign these guys for rotational depth. They are vets, who can cause havoc and have done so in the past. Being asked to not be "the guy" now and being a situational pass rusher will probably do a great deal for their overall production this year.

Adding aging vets doesn't add up to the SIX bodies the Bengals added to the defensive line even if you knock 7th round pick Wyatt Hubert off that's still 5 bodies. Yes it would be nice to have an elite pass rusher like TJ Watt or Myles Garrett but this offseason the Bengals did more than any other team in the AFC North to try to generate pass rush.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I know the Bengals added Hendrickson. He is the our version
Of Watt Garrett etc etc.
To get to the QB.

I don't think Hubbard is all that... He's solid for sure, but is Clowned THAT much better? Dude's been a fairly sorry pass rusher of late... No?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:57 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The problem with this line of thought is that the OP clearly said they had elite guys on those teams and brought in talented guys to compete and take rotational snaps on the edge.

However, all the mentioned teams lost edge rushers this off-season.  As you said, the Ravens lost Judon.  The Browns lost Olivier Vernon.  The Steelers lost Bud Dupree.  The signings the OP is citing are just teams replacing guys they lost, not appreciable upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 02:12 AM)Whatever Wrote: However, all the mentioned teams lost edge rushers this off-season.  As you said, the Ravens lost Judon.  The Browns lost Olivier Vernon.  The Steelers lost Bud Dupree.  The signings the OP is citing are just teams replacing guys they lost, not appreciable upgrades.

Same as Hendrickson replacing Lawson and Larry Ogunjobi is a replacement for Geno on the interior. Plus, we need someone to replace Dunlop's snaps as well on the edge, call that Ossai.

Now you look at the "haul" of additions and it's not bad but it isn't earth shattering either.

I like some of the draft picks the team went after, but for anyone to act like the Bengals wouldn't be in better shape with Houston, or Ingram is just foolish. Ossai should make an impact and will hopefully have a good long career but it is all potential, the results are already on the field for the vets that were signed.

Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I know the Bengals added Hendrickson. He is the our version
Of Watt Garrett etc etc.
To get to the QB.

Don’t even bother with a response. This dudes drunk. Half his statements don’t even make sense and his few rants that hit home are poorly articulated and out of context.
Reply/Quote
I’m pretty happy with how they addressed the defensive line. I like the draft picks as well as signing a proven guy like Hendrickson, and resigning Hubbard. I can’t wait to see what Ossai can do.

Yeah, they could spend 5mil or so on an aging pass rusher—but are they really in a mode where they’ve had proven playoff success and need a couple veteran rushers to top off the team and make a push for a SB? Not yet in my opinion. It’s smarter to focus on drafting for depth and developing those players in a rotation. They definitely put a lot of money into their two starters. I really don’t see an issue here.

I really don’t think they could have done much better in FA along the offensive line with the money available and the guys they had to resign this offseason. Reiff is a great signing in my eyes. Adding a stud guard would have been nice as well, but not something I expected. They did a good job addressing the oline in the draft. I would say they did a great job if they would have drafted Sewell. An all trenches draft would have been great; but in the end they spent the vast majority of their picks on both lines, and got the top playmaker in the draft. I’d say it’s a win.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:26 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: Steelers and Ravens brought in old pass rushers. When the Bengals do that they get called cheap lol

Shhhhh, on top of that, haven't most of those guys missed significant playing time lately? Would just be another thing to ***** about as though we don't have enough things already
Reply/Quote
I can't really bash the Bengals for what they've done, or at least attempted to do on defense the last couple seasons.

Oline ? Now there's more of a story.
Reply/Quote
All 3 of those guys are on a one year prove it deal. All 3 stated that in this stage of their careers they wanted to play for a contender. Houston even came out and stated that he chose the Ratbirds for less money than other offers because he thought they were legit SB threat.

Free agent pass rusher Justin Houston is reportedly signing a one-year, $4 million deal with the Baltimore Ravens, and taking less money than he was offered elsewhere to do so, according to ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

https://steelersnow.com/report-justin-houston-takes-less-money-to-sign-with-ravens/

These guys were not going to sign with Cincy. Cincy should not have signed these guys. If our new talent works out and we are in a position like this in a couple of years MAYBE we will be able to make a couple of signings like this.

I have said it hundreds of times in the past. There are 2 sides to FA and both sides have to agree. You can't just go out and make someone sign here. Hell, who knows, maybe the Bengals were one of the teams that offered more money to Houston.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote:  Don't say Hubbard cause he isnt even in the same level

Sacks over last three seasons

Ingram...................14
Clowney.................12
Hubbard................16.5
Reply/Quote