Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What the other AFC North teams did and the Bengals didnt do
Those teams are in win now mode. The Bengals are in year 3 of likely 17 under Zac. This is the long game the are playing which means another couple year of rebuilding before we go "all in" for a ring.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: I know the Bengals added Hendrickson. He is the our version
Of Watt Garrett etc etc.
But the Bengals didnt even bother to add even more experienced.DE help. 
Behind Hendrickson where is the proven
Pass rusher?  Don't say Hubbard cause he isnt even in the same level
As far as pass rush ability as a Ingram or Clowney.
Although Hubbard could really blossom.this year....
The Bengals are putting alot of faith in these 2021 draft picks
To get to the QB.

Hubbard will have a better year than the Clown man, who has no heart, is oft injured, never had a prime and is just collecting pay checks.

Do you research these guys or just look at names because every negative thing said about Clowney (having watched him for years with Houston) is true.

Just one example......but these signings don't concern me at all.
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:09 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You left out we brought in Trey Hendrickson who is much younger and the better prospect as an edge rusher. 13.5 sacks.

We had 17 sacks total last year. If Ogunjobi, Reader, Hubbard improve from last year we could be insanely better this year.

All those guys the rest of the AFC North brought in I wanted but they are now depth pieces at this point in their careers.

Good moves by them but I would rather have Hendrickson and extend Hubbard along with Ossai and Sample for the future.

We definitely need depth on the OL, completely agree there. Bring in Mitchell Schwartz is still my call if he is healthy.

Even if he isn't once he is, he could be a great fill in for either Reiff or Jonah at OT once Mitch gets healthy. Not so sure about rooks.

I was about to destroy you as I got halfway through your post and you hadn't mentioned Ossai in a post about the pass rush.   Hilarious

Then I sit here and laugh at how excited I was when you first mentioned just Hendrickson, Ogunobi, Reader, and Hubbard.  I'm not right.  
Reply/Quote
(08-04-2021, 11:57 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: The problem with this line of thought is that the OP clearly said they had elite guys on those teams and brought in talented guys to compete and take rotational snaps on the edge.

If you want to call Hendrickson a much better and younger prospect, then make sure you are comparing him correctly. Hendrickson is being asked to be the "elite" guy on the edge in Cincinnati, meaning he needs to be compared to Myles Garrett and T.J. Watt and who ever replaces Judon in Baltimore (guessing Ngakoue). On that list Hendrickson isn't in the same league of Garrett and Watt at this point... it is a laughable concept to even compare them.

The correct comparison for Justin Houston and Ingram and Clowney would be Sam Hubbard. Sam's a great run defender but not someone who has done much in terms of pass rush numbers outside of 2019. 

I really find it hard to believe that anyone posting here in this thread would have been upset to see Ingram or Houston in Cincinnati... matter of fact I see several names here that were in the FA section saying the Bengals should sign these guys for rotational depth. They are vets, who can cause havoc and have done so in the past. Being asked to not be "the guy" now and being a situational pass rusher will probably do a great deal for their overall production this year.

You are speaking of things we have no control over and is completely unrealistic.

Wish we could just flick a magic wand and have a Garrett or Watt on our team before bringing in aging vet Ends.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You are speaking of things we have no control over and is completely unrealistic.

Wish we could just flick a magic wand and have a Garrett or Watt on our team before bringing in aging vet Ends.

How was it unrealistic to make a move for Houston? He was available for a good amount of time. They brought in Ryan Kerrigan for a visit and didn't get a deal. Ingram was available for a long period of time as well and the Bengals have cap space. Signing any of the three would have added a veteran presence that has a history of success. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 09:13 AM)Stewy Wrote: Hubbard will have a better year than the Clown man, who has no heart, is oft injured, never had a prime and is just collecting pay checks.

Do you research these guys or just look at names because every negative thing said about Clowney (having watched him for years with Houston) is true.

Just one example......but these signings don't concern me at all.

Well to be fair they didn't need these signings to beat us the last couple years so the concern should be there.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:22 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: How was it unrealistic to make a move for Houston? He was available for a good amount of time. They brought in Ryan Kerrigan for a visit and didn't get a deal. Ingram was available for a long period of time as well and the Bengals have cap space. Signing any of the three would have added a veteran presence that has a history of success. 

He'll be 32 and has been to the playoffs 6 of the last 8 years. He's already made ~$95m in his career, so he's got his money, now he just wants to win. Hence the low low contract. He wanted to go somewhere he can potentially compete for SBs now, so he wasn't coming here.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:22 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: How was it unrealistic to make a move for Houston? He was available for a good amount of time. They brought in Ryan Kerrigan for a visit and didn't get a deal. Ingram was available for a long period of time as well and the Bengals have cap space. Signing any of the three would have added a veteran presence that has a history of success. 

As TLL shown, they have to want to come here and sign here. I would of loved to have landed Kerrigan, I don't run the FO and 
don't know the inside information. I am just not going to cry over spilt milk, just have to hope Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Cam 
Sample, Kareem are enough. Sounds like they are playing quite well right now, we will see.

Too bad Hubert went down, I would add a depth piece at End cause of this. I liked the Wyatt Hubert pick a lot in the 7th.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 12:51 AM)Synric Wrote: Adding aging vets doesn't add up to the SIX bodies the Bengals added to the defensive line even if you knock 7th round pick Wyatt Hubert off that's still 5 bodies. Yes it would be nice to have an elite pass rusher like TJ Watt or Myles Garrett but this offseason the Bengals did more than any other team in the AFC North to try to generate pass rush.

Cracks me up.  If the Steelers had drafted 5 new lineman and the Bengals picked up aging vets a bunch on this board would be saying the Steelers always do things right, they cut bait on the older players and continue to build young depth.  Go figure.

That Steeler envy is hard to let go.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 01:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: Well to be fair they didn't need these signings to beat us the last couple years so the concern should be there.

The rest of the AFC North didn’t sign those players to beat the Cincinnati Bengals. They signed those players to go deep in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-05-2021, 03:17 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Same as Hendrickson replacing Lawson and Larry Ogunjobi is a replacement for Geno on the interior. Plus, we need someone to replace Dunlop's snaps as well on the edge, call that Ossai.

Now you look at the "haul" of additions and it's not bad but it isn't earth shattering either.

I like some of the draft picks the team went after, but for anyone to act like the Bengals wouldn't be in better shape with Houston, or Ingram is just foolish. Ossai should make an impact and will hopefully have a good long career but it is all potential, the results are already on the field for the vets that were signed.

Houston is up there in age, but is still playing well (8 sacks last year).  Ingram had no sacks in 7 games last year, so he's very much a gamble.  Clowney has fallen off a cliff with no sacks in 8 games last year after only 3 in 13 games the year before.  

If we hadn't drafted 3 edge rushers this year, I'd probably be right there with you guys.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 08:32 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Cracks me up.  If the Steelers had drafted 5 new lineman and the Bengals picked up aging vets a bunch on this board would be saying the Steelers always do things right, they cut bait on the older players and continue to build young depth.  Go figure.

That Steeler envy is hard to let go.

Can you blame us?  They've had 1 losing season in the past 20 years...hard to deny that they might know what they are doing.  Though I think they're done this year, and I haven't bothered saying that in a long time.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 12:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: Houston is up there in age, but is still playing well (8 sacks last year).  Ingram had no sacks in 7 games last year, so he's very much a gamble.  Clowney has fallen off a cliff with no sacks in 8 games last year after only 3 in 13 games the year before.  

If we hadn't drafted 3 edge rushers this year, I'd probably be right there with you guys.

Houston just wanted to go to a team that looks to make a run at the SB, that is all. We are not that team obviously to most.

Clowney is also a head case, a diva and a cancer in my opinion and I wouldn't want him, I wanted Kerrigan the most but he left 
for unknown reasons. We got Trey Hendrickson who I wanted all along, before we even got him and he is tearing it up in camp 
even if he can't quite get by Jonah (which is a good thing) they are having great battles.

Hubbard looks great BTW. Don't understand why people are overlooking him, he will make waves this year if he stays healthy 
just watch. He is in incredible shape and is extremely explosive. Kareem also looks amazing. Really love Ossai's and Cam Sample's
upside. that Freedom guy also looked good. We might be more than alright at End especially cause we actually have good DT's 
this year if they stay healthy. Health is the key as with any team.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 03:00 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Houston just wanted to go to a team that looks to make a run at the SB, that is all. We are not that team obviously to most.

Clowney is also a head case, a diva and a cancer in my opinion and I wouldn't want him, I wanted Kerrigan the most but he left 
for unknown reasons. We got Trey Hendrickson who I wanted all along, before we even got him and he is tearing it up in camp 
even if he can't quite get by Jonah (which is a good thing) they are having great battles.

Hubbard looks great BTW. Don't understand why people are overlooking him, he will make waves this year if he stays healthy 
just watch. He is in incredible shape and is extremely explosive. Kareem also looks amazing. Really love Ossai's and Cam Sample's
upside. that Freedom guy also looked good. We might be more than alright at End especially cause we actually have good DT's 
this year if they stay healthy. Health is the key as with any team.

Always comes into play.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 12:43 PM)Whatever Wrote: Houston is up there in age, but is still playing well (8 sacks last year).  Ingram had no sacks in 7 games last year, so he's very much a gamble.  Clowney has fallen off a cliff with no sacks in 8 games last year after only 3 in 13 games the year before.  

Clowney was never really on my wish list, but Kerrigan, Houston and Ingram certainly would have been interesting. 

I think Ingram is such an enigma, I get the feeling if he catches a break with his health and is used in a rotational situation for a skilled DC, he's going to be a huge pain in the ass for teams.

The Bengals certainly did restock the line with potential in the draft, and I really like Ossai, just would like one more guy out there with experience that has a some history of success in the league. Let's be honest, not all the draft picks will pan out, no team ever hits on all of their picks, and the lack of real depth is what has plagued this team for several seasons.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I really don't care what everyone else did! Just more of the sit around and think of ways to shit on the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(08-06-2021, 05:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I really don't care what everyone else did! Just more of the sit around and think of ways to shit on the Bengals.

It is weird isn't it Wedge? Mellow
Reply/Quote
Won 5 or more games last year.  Ninja

FACT CHECKED BY HD!

Reply/Quote