Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to do with Bates
(12-13-2021, 11:27 PM)jason Wrote: I mean I guess that's all fine and good. Awards and grades and stuff.

I think it's universally agreed upon that QB is the most important position in the sport. So there's Burrow. Protecting his blind side is right up there... Jonah. Protecting him period, running the ball Spain, Reiff, whoever gets Reiff's money.

That QB needs to throw to somebody... Chase and Higgins.

Somebody should get after the other team's most important position. The ends are locked up, but the interior guys are not.

Those guys are all more important to this team's success moving forward than Jesse Bates is. I'm not opposed to keeping him, but if that somehow means we eventually can't re-up one of those guys then no way. Bates has had one great year. One... Solid as a rookie. Meh as a sophomore. The great year. Mostly meh again.
A couple of things.

1.) We don't need to spend money on Jonah, Chase, or Higgins for at least two more seasons. 

2.) Both Spain and Rieff are both over 30 and both have potential replacements already on the roster.  Prioritizing those Two over a young player. For the record I think the Bengals will resign Rieff but I doubt they will sign Spain because he is a guard.

3.) If Bates leaves then you will still have to either draft his replacement early in the draft or sign a major free agent to replace them. Either way you are still using a major resource = to re signing Bates.

4.) Even if you don't think Bates should be signed to an extension why not Tag and Trade him? The last thing we should do is get nothing in return for him.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(12-13-2021, 11:46 PM)J24 Wrote: A couple of things.

1.) We don't need to spend money on Jonah, Chase, or Higgins for at least two more seasons. 

2.) Both Spain and Rieff are both over 30 and both have potential replacements already on the roster.  Prioritizing those Two over a young player. For the record I think the Bengals will resign Rieff but I doubt they will sign Spain because he is a guard.

3.) If Bates leaves then you will still have to either draft his replacement early in the draft or sign a major free agent to replace them. Either way you are still using a major resource = to re signing Bates.

4.) Even if you don't think Bates should be signed to an extension why not Tag and Trade him? The last thing we should do is get nothing in return for him.

Exactly and not sure he will command top dollar as much as he would have last off season. 

Tag him, unless he can be signed at a reasonable dollar amount imo. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote