Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will Bengals do -AND- What would you do if...
(04-18-2019, 01:01 PM)depthchart Wrote: Yeah, taking Devin Bush almost seems like settling for a 2nd tier guy just after most of the 1st tier guys have been drafted with picks 1 thru 10.

There will likely be some 1st tier guys still on the Board when the Bengals pick and I am not so sure they take Devin Bush to be a poor man's Devin White (so to speak).

A guy like Germaine Pratt at linebacker in round 3 may be an example of some of that linebacker depth.

I am starting to think the pick will be a DT or DE in round 1 for the Bengals.

The differences between Devin White and Devin Bush are less then Ragnow and Price. 

PFF has Bush rated higher at tackling and run defense. Multiple websites are also giving the edge to Bush in play recognition. At the combine... Their 40-yard dash differed by 0.01, 3 cone drill by 0.14 (Bush was faster)... etc. They are very similar.

I still say they go LB/OL unless something weird happens.... Bengals: Bush... Me:Bush
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 02:27 PM)PAjwPhilly Wrote: The differences between Devin White and Devin Bush are less then Ragnow and Price. 

PFF has Bush rated higher at tackling and run defense. Multiple websites are also giving the edge to Bush in play recognition. At the combine... Their 40-yard dash differed by 0.01, 3 cone drill by 0.14 (Bush was faster)... etc. They are very similar.

I still say they go LB/OL unless something weird happens.... Bengals: Bush... Me:Bush

If they do take Bush, then I hope you're right about their similarities.

If Bush ends up being a swing and a miss, then it will be painful to see how well someone else that they passed on panned out.

If Bush ends up being a solid pick that sures up the Linebacking core, then the Bengals take a step forward with the Defense.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 01:43 PM)depthchart Wrote: Just depends on how certain they are that Devin Bush will be the fix.

If I am nearly hell bent on a fix, then I trade a 3rd round pick to go up 3 or 4 spots to get Devin White.

Not so sure that I would trade a 2nd rounder to get up even higher for Devin White though.

That said, Devin Bush may turn out to be just fine and be better than some of the other options in round 1.

I am a "fix the O-line" first guy but I am starting to doubt they go that direction in round 1.

It may turn out that they do neither LB or O-line and take a TE or DT or DE in round 1.

Different strokes for different folks, especially the Bengals Front Office.
You can start fixing that OLine in the second round.  

OLine need on a scale of 1 to 10--6.  LB need on a scale of 1 to 10--10.  End of story.  We have OLinemen we can get by with or even scheme around.  You can't say that for our LB's. 

There is no greater need on this team and it would be idiotic to think about trying to fix it with third and fourth rounders who will be taken in the second and third rounds anyway because teams who need LB's go after them and grab them when they're available.

Now that Marvin and his hubris over LB's is gone, maybe things change around here.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 04:53 PM)McC Wrote: You can start fixing that OLine in the second round.  

OLine need on a scale of 1 to 10--6.  LB need on a scale of 1 to 10--10.  End of story.  We have OLinemen we can get by with or even scheme around.  You can't say that for our LB's. 

There is no greater need on this team and it would be idiotic to think about trying to fix it with third and fourth rounders who will be taken in the second and third rounds anyway because teams who need LB's go after them and grab them when they're available.

Now that Marvin and his hubris over LB's is gone, maybe things change around here.

I have been high on linebacker Mack Wilson in round 2.

Based on the two 3 year contracts just given to the Bengals RT & RG it is likely they don't go O-line in round one.

If they also pass on a linebacker in round one then they are way down on the needs scale you propose since you likely have O-line ranked right below linebacker.
Reply/Quote
I’m assuming like others have said either Bush, Sweat or their highest ranked OT. If we take Bush then I would want them to target the 2nd group of OT’s in round 2 guys like Riser, Little, Mcgary if there available. I view Williams and Dillard as LT’s only who lack the power or size to play RT. I wonder if it’s possible if we draft one of them and move Glenn to RT ? Glenn definitely has the size to play RT and it could benefit him. If we go OT in round one maybe target linebackers like Wilson or a guy like Pratt who is really starting to grow on me in round 2.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 04:53 PM)McC Wrote: You can start fixing that OLine in the second round.  

Agree. 

Add the fact that the Rams love to use the jet sweep motion at the snap.... and the Rams use blocking TEs on most plays... and you changed how the DL plays you.  Both of these will benefit our current OL. 

However if BOTH Devins are off the board at 11... do you trade back or just grab one of those immediate starters @ OL? I don't think the other LBs are going to be strong NFL starters year 1.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 10:58 AM)depthchart Wrote: Say that all ten of the players shown below are gone before the Bengals pick at #11:

Kyler Murray,  Dwayne Haskins,  Drew Lock

Nick Bosa,  Josh Allen,  Devin White

Quinnen Williams,  Ed Oliver,

TJ Hockenson,  Jawaan Taylor

What will Bengals do if all 10 of the players shown above are gone ?   -AND-    What would YOU do if all 10 players shown above are gone ?

What the Bengals would do? Draft Devin White
What I would do? Draft Nick Bosa
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 05:09 PM)depthchart Wrote: I have been high on linebacker Mack Wilson in round 2.

Based on the two 3 year contracts just given to the Bengals RT & RG it is likely they don't go O-line in round one.

If they also pass on a linebacker in round one then they are way down on the needs scale you propose since you likely have O-line ranked right below linebacker.

looking at those contracts they might as both can be walked away from next year. at least the contracts shouldn't stop them... we have 3 stop gaps on that OL right now.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 05:52 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: looking at those contracts they might as both can be walked away from next year.  at least the contracts shouldn't stop them...  we have 3 stop gaps on that OL right now.

I agree but those contracts signal a sense of belief in those players by the Bengals Front office and that could mean that they put drafting an O-lineman on the back burner for later rounds.

Just how much does the Front Office believe in Hart, Miller etc is the question.

They may like them a lot more than many fans do.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 05:41 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: What the Bengals would do? Draft Devin White
What I would do? Draft Nick Bosa

The two players you mentioned would be gone based on the scenario presented.

I listed ten players that would not be available.

Who would you have the Bengals & yourself taking then ?
Reply/Quote
I think I'd take Devin Bush, but Sweat is tempting.

I think the Bengals go Bush.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 05:59 PM)depthchart Wrote: The two players you mentioned would be gone based on the scenario presented.

I listed ten players that would not be available.

Who would you have the Bengals & yourself taking then ?

My reading comprehension didn't kick in, lol.

The Bengals would most likely draft a CB.
I would trade back completely out of the first round and get picks for next year plus draft an O Lineman in the second.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 06:10 PM)Wyche Wrote: I think I'd take Devin Bush, but Sweat is tempting.

I think the Bengals go Bush.

Crazy thing is Montez Sweat and Devin Bush's combine numbers are very similar...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
Bengals most likely take Bush in this scenario, but I could see them considering Sweat as well.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
Sweat I would do. Never have enough great pass rushers.

Bengals will draft Bush , I would be very happy.
Reply/Quote
I’m the guy who worries about Sweat. Go back and actually watch his production, mainly sacks and tackles for loss and a couple things pop out. He needs a counter rush move as he is limited. He outmatches a lot of guys athletically, especially when they played lesser comp. I think people are in love with his combine, but I saw Andre Dillard stone wall him more than a few times at the Senior Bowl. To be fair, Dillard is really good in his own right but I don’t think Sweats production year one is as high as some think.

I’d go Bush as I have been pushing him since January.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 07:25 PM)Au165 Wrote: I’m the guy who worries about Sweat. Go back and actually watch his production, mainly sacks and tackles for loss and a couple things pop out. He needs a counter rush move as he is limited. He outmatches a lot of guys athletically, especially when they played lesser comp. I think people are in love with his combine, but I saw Andre Dillard stone wall him more than a few times at the Senior Bowl. To be fair, Dillard is really good in his own right but I don’t think Sweats production year one is as high as some think.

I’d go Bush as I have been pushing him since January.

In Montez Sweat I see a guy that only has 2 real years of college coaching and even then performed at a high level in the SEC. 

Production, Testing Numbers, Size/Length, and Premium Position....
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 07:48 PM)Synric Wrote: In Montez Sweat I see a guy that only has 2 real years of college coaching and even then performed at a high level in the SEC. 

Production, Testing Numbers, Size/Length, and Premium Position....

Like I said production is a bit misleading. He dominated the bad teams and disappeared at times against the good. I worry about his bend around the corner against NFL tackles.
Reply/Quote
(04-18-2019, 10:58 AM)depthchart Wrote: Say that all ten of the players shown below are gone before the Bengals pick at #11:

Kyler Murray,  Dwayne Haskins,  Drew Lock

Nick Bosa,  Josh Allen,  Devin White

Quinnen Williams,  Ed Oliver,

TJ Hockenson,  Jawaan Taylor

What will Bengals do if all 10 of the players shown above are gone ?   -AND-    What would YOU do if all 10 players shown above are gone ?

I think the Bengals would either do:
- Montez Sweat
- Devin Bush
- Trade back

I would take Jonah Williams.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd take Dillard there. The prospect of nabbing a franchise tackle who may excel at pass pro is just too enticing. In a QB driven league, you NEED pass pro to ever be competitive. 

I'd expect the Bengals to take Metcalf or Bush, two prospects who I'm not very high on. I do think that there's an outside chance that they'd trade down and try to get some combo of Bush/Wilson/Ford/Williams/Cajuste if they do try to address needs early.
Reply/Quote