Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will next Tuesday bring?
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/politics/steve-king-nrcc-chair-white-supremacy/index.html

I'll bet anyone that King wins by double digits after Tuesday is said and done with. King's district is where I'm from, and he is next to invincible there in NW Iowa.  He's practically a deity in Sioux and Lyon counties. I know there are rich farmers willing to sacrifice their first born son to him.  I don't get it.  How he's gotten this far really proves the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.  He is a wolf in sheep's skin in amongst the herd. My biggest fear is he'll want to take his traveling salesman shtick on the road to the WH, after our current POTUS steps down.    
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

(10-31-2018, 02:43 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/30/politics/steve-king-nrcc-chair-white-supremacy/index.html

I'll bet anyone that King wins by double digits after Tuesday is said and done with. King's district is where I'm from, and he is next to invincible there in NW Iowa.  He's practically a deity in Sioux and Lyon counties. I know there are rich farmers willing to sacrifice their first born son to him.  I don't get it.  How he's gotten this far really proves the greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.  He is a wolf in sheep's skin in amongst the herd. My biggest fear is he'll want to take his traveling salesman shtick on the road to the WH, after our current POTUS steps down.    

Unless you balance this with a quote from a Democrat Congressmen who tweeted that "We can't restore our civilization with somebody else's babies,"  you are showing your partisanship. Everyone knows that both sides are equally guilty of whipping up xenophobic fear of the Other instead of running on their records.
And King is absolutely correct.

"Americans, all created equal by God, with all our races, ethnicities, and national origins-legal immigrants & natural born citizens, together make up this Shining City on the Hill. These attacks are orchestrated by nasty, desperate, and dishonest fake news. Their ultimate goal is to flip the House and impeach Donald Trump. Establishment Never Trumpers are complicit."

OBVIOUSLY, the GOP message is it is time for all of us to come together!  For the midterms.

But the liberal mainstream media will do anything to prevent King from being reelected--even publish his actual tweets.

We have seen them use this tactic on Trump himself almost every day.  

Trump supporters don't be fooled when the liberal press reports what these guys say! It is fake news.

And even if it is true, it is not all that bad. And even if some of it is that bad, that proves my point. The press is trying to make these guys look bad.
In general I will say I'm growing tired of Trump's rhetoric, but it seems the ads around here are trying to align themselves closer with Trump as opposed to distancing. All we have in this Area is the Indy Senate seat and Donelly (D) is running on how much he's disagreed with his party and supported Trump and Braun ® is running on how Donnelly is not with Trump.

Anybody have any insight on the races in their states: PA, VA, OH, ect...

According to this map 3 of the 4 toss up states currently have a Dem as an incumbent. The only one that does not is AZ, where Flake is not running (Most likely eyeing bigger things in 2020)

https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

My favorite local race is a State Rep race where the gop has spent tons to say a local teacher is Nancy pelosi, I guess because they're both old, female, Democrats. the candidate in question is just a retired teacher tired of the governor calling educators thugs.

I've got no idea on races in other states, but the biggest buzz is the complete confusion on how pacs are allowed to indescrimentantly slander people. Most of the mailers ive received this season are just pacs trying to slander candidates.

Elected officials: have some balls. You want to sling mug, own it.
Looking like a close race for Governor here in Oregon. Brown will probably win fairly comfortably, 5+ points, in the end.

The most interesting race in the country to me, is in WV. Ojeda would make an entertaining addition to Congress.
All I wanna know is if the hot chick in NY is going to win. Easy on the eyes and I think promises to be entertaining.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

There is a big battle for the Senate seat left vacant by the retirement of Bob Corker ® here in Tennessee. Former Governor Phil Bredeson (D) was originally given a shot because he was running against a terrible Republican candidate former Representative Marsh Blackburn. But even though I have heard multiple people around here complain about Blackburn they pretty much agree that they can't vote for a Republican no matter how bad she is.

I expect her to win.
(11-02-2018, 12:05 PM)fredtoast Wrote: There is a big battle for the Senate seat left vacant by the retirement of Bob Corker ® here in Tennessee.  Former Governor Phil Bredeson (D) was originally given a shot because he was running against a terrible Republican candidate former Representative Marsh Blackburn.  But even though I have heard multiple people around here complain about Blackburn they pretty much agree that they can't vote for a Republican no matter how bad she is.

I expect her to win.

Tennessee is going to be a mess in 20 years. Nashville's growth appears to be leveling off, and their real estate market and jobs are expected to do the same over the next 2-4 years. That's inflated the average wages in the state, which would otherwise have largely been flat the last few years.
(11-01-2018, 10:17 PM)bfine32 Wrote: In general I will say I'm growing tired of Trump's rhetoric, but it seems the ads around here are trying to align themselves closer with Trump as opposed to distancing. All we have in this Area is the Indy Senate seat and Donelly (D) is running on how much he's disagreed with his party and supported Trump and Braun ® is running on how Donnelly is not with Trump.

Anybody have any insight on the races in their states:  PA, VA, OH, ect...

According to this map 3 of the 4 toss up states currently have a Dem as an incumbent. The only one that does not is AZ, where Flake is not running (Most likely eyeing bigger things in 2020)

https://www.270towin.com/2018-senate-election/

Dems pulling the big bow and arrows out for their Gov. candidate here in Ohio. Chief Elizabeth Warren was in Columbus last night campaigning for him.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Wolf will probably win again in PA, Casey too.  

Fetterman might win but he can be polarizing.

The local stuff usually goes to the incumbents whether they are R or D.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
The gov’nr race here is tight with the incumbent Kim Reynolds ® battling the upstart Fred Hubble (D). The R’s even sent Ivanka to the state yesterday and today to help drum up support for Reynolds. It’ll be an interesting night to say the least.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

I don't see the Republicans losing power. Pulling out the credit card and giving big tax breaks is a good way to buy votes.

Republicans used to be the ones screaming about the national debt, but not a peep when it means a few more bucks in their pockets.
(11-02-2018, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see the Republicans losing power.  Pulling out the credit card and giving big tax breaks is a good way to buy votes.

Republicans used to be the ones screaming about the national debt, but not a peep when it means a few more bucks in their pockets.

At least for Kentucky, I think the Republican approach to taxes are going to hurt them. State GOP lawmakers keep bragging they cut taxes, but they offset that charging new taxes on services and goods, increasing the burden on lower/middle class.
(11-02-2018, 01:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't see the Republicans losing power. Pulling out the credit card and giving big tax breaks is a good way to buy votes.

(11-02-2018, 02:37 PM)Benton Wrote: At least for Kentucky, I think the Republican approach to taxes are going to hurt them. State GOP lawmakers keep bragging they cut taxes, but they offset that charging new taxes on services and goods, increasing the burden on lower/middle class.

The tax cut isn't popular because middle and lower income folks haven't seen any real effect. That's why there isn't a ton of GOP messaging about it. Believe me, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops if it was popular, but instead they are trying to lie about their positions on healthcare and hoping the voting public is too dumb to look at the dozens of times they voted to do the exact opposite of what they are saying they are for now.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-02-2018, 02:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The tax cut isn't popular because middle and lower income folks haven't seen any real effect. That's why there isn't a ton of GOP messaging about it. Believe me, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops if it was popular, but instead they are trying to lie about their positions on healthcare and hoping the voting public is too dumb to look at the dozens of times they voted to do the exact opposite of what they are saying they are for now.

Spoilers:  They are too dumb....at least the ones that vote Republican are.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(11-02-2018, 02:50 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: The tax cut isn't popular because middle and lower income folks haven't seen any real effect. That's why there isn't a ton of GOP messaging about it. Believe me, they'd be shouting it from the rooftops if it was popular, but instead they are trying to lie about their positions on healthcare and hoping the voting public is too dumb to look at the dozens of times they voted to do the exact opposite of what they are saying they are for now.

In Kentucky, they changed tax rates around so that it lowered taxes on the top 5 percent of earners and offset it with new taxes on bottom earners, and sales taxes. It was a hike on 95% of the state, according to modest estimates. But they those lawmakers up for reelection are sticking with "we lowered taxes." At least at the federal level, Republicans are (mostly) saying "hey, look at this historic tax reform" without being too specific that it was just a break for top earners.
I think one of the most frustrating bit of messaging we see is the lie that Democrats support open borders. There is not a Democrat running that supports open borders. There is support for enforcing our immigration laws, but that includes processing asylum claims rather than turning people away and ignoring their plight. If someone lacks a legitimate asylum claim then they should be returned, but instead of sending troops to the border, we should be allocating resources to the people processing these claims so that they can be processed quickly and effectively. The end result is the same but it is a more compassionate one. The whole fear mongering over immigration is annoying and dishonest, but it works on Republican voters as evidenced in the polls so it's what they'll do.

/rant
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(11-02-2018, 05:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think one of the most frustrating bit of messaging we see is the lie that Democrats support open borders. There is not a Democrat running that supports open borders. There is support for enforcing our immigration laws, but that includes processing asylum claims rather than turning people away and ignoring their plight. If someone lacks a legitimate asylum claim then they should be returned, but instead of sending troops to the border, we should be allocating resources to the people processing these claims so that they can be processed quickly and effectively. The end result is the same but it is a more compassionate one. The whole fear mongering over immigration is annoying and dishonest, but it works on Republican voters as evidenced in the polls so it's what they'll do.

/rant

And how many people know that ICE does not have anything to do with securing the border.

A good reason given for reducing funding for ICE is to increase funds for border security, but 90% of Republicans have no clue.
(11-02-2018, 06:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: And how many people know that ICE does not have anything to do with securing the border.

A good reason given for reducing funding for ICE is to increase funds for border security, but 90% of Republicans have no clue.

ICE's primary mission is to [b]promote homeland security and public safety[/b] through the criminal and civil enforcement of federal laws governing border control, customs, trade, and immigration.". U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP).

Border patrol isn't their main responsibility, but it certainly is part of their mission.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Tried to move this into folks giving updates about their races, unfortunately, it has turned into how bad the GOP is and how stupid their voters are.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]