Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would it take?
(03-08-2020, 01:45 PM)J24 Wrote: They also drafted Boyd, Mixon, and Bates three years in a row in the 2nd RD.

That wasn't the New Dey though. That was Marvin's team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 01:45 PM)J24 Wrote: They also drafted Boyd, Mixon, and Bates three years in a row in the 2nd RD.

Right, so we’d probably get a mix of good and bad picks. So to me not even close to being worth giving up Burrow.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 01:45 PM)ochocincos Wrote: That wasn't the New Dey though. That was Marvin's team.
Duke did those drafts like he is now.
(03-08-2020, 02:01 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Right, so we’d probably get a mix of good and bad picks. So to me not even close to being worth giving up Burrow.
Those are three franchise players that I just mentioned were good in the second Rd at drafting for the most part.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 02:06 PM)J24 Wrote: Duke did those drafts like he is now.
Those are three franchise players that I just mentioned were good in the second Rd at drafting for the most part.

Yes, Duke was there for both but you can't think Duke was the only person giving input to picks the whole time.
You really think Sample would have been selected in 2nd round if Marvin was the HC? I don't.
Have faith if you want, but I'm going to remain skeptical.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 02:06 PM)J24 Wrote: Duke did those drafts like he is now.

That’s probably a bit generous wrt Bates, but idk how you really determine if a safety is a “franchise player.”

He’s good, but not necessarily someone that moves the needle much.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 02:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes, Duke was there for both but you can't think Duke was the only person giving input to picks the whole time.
You really think Sample would have been selected in 2nd round if Marvin was the HC? I don't.

Yeah, even picks that Marvin didn’t like (Ross) at least made some sense. Drew Sample in the 2nd is just a head scratcher.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 02:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, even picks that Marvin didn’t like (Ross) at least made some sense. Drew Sample in the 2nd is just a head scratcher.

Drew Sample made alot of sense as a pick even though Bengals fans hated it.

Eifert always hurt and on a 1 year deal. CJ Uzomah is also more of an H-Back not an inline guy. They needed an inline TE after losing Tyler Kroft. I would say they probably had a high 3rd round grade on Sample and didnt feel it was a reach at the bottom of the 2nd. 

With Eifert likely gone I can see Sample getting alot more snaps in year two.

PS: Draft Wise I'm guessing they were actually targeting Irv Smith Jr. When they traded back who went 2 picks before Drew Sample. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 02:22 PM)Synric Wrote: Drew Sample made alot of sense as a pick even though Bengals fans hated it.

Eifert always hurt and on a 1 year deal. CJ Uzomah is also more of an H-Back not an inline guy. They needed an inline TE after losing Tyler Kroft. I would say they probably had a high 3rd round grade on Sample and didnt feel it was a reach at the bottom of the 2nd. 

With Eifert likely gone I can see Sample getting alot more snaps in year two.

PS: Draft Wise I'm guessing they were actually targeting Irv Smith Jr. When they traded back who went 2 picks before Drew Sample. 

They just signed Uzomah to a 3-year deal too though.
For a team that doesn't emphasize the TE in the passing game much, it didn't make sense to take an inline TE that early regardless of Eifert's health.

Would have rather had any of Oliver, Sternberger, Knox, Kaden Smith, Nauta, Wilson, or Moreau over Sample.
All of those guys went after Sample.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
They should not trade for extra picks - just take Burrow and you have your QB (hopefully). Also, you can’t over-state how beneficial it is to have a QB on a rookie contract. If they believe Burrow is a franchise QB then they should take him because an elite QB on a rookie contract is the most valuable commodity you can have in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2020, 10:12 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: If you guys would be willing, I had a mock draft (in the appropriate forum) where I actually didn't select Burrow.  Let me explain:  It was on the first-pick website and I received an offer from Jacksonville that I am thinking would be too hard to pass up.  If you would go over to the NFL draft board, under Mock Drafts:  SHracerX Bully no Burrow draft.  

I would love to get an idea what the board would do in such a situation.  

Thanks in advance.

Sorry brother, don't like Herbert or Queen. Herbert is not a leader, he is an introvert and panics when the pocket breaks down
and isn't clutch nor has that fire that Burrow has. I like Eason honestly better than him and even Hurts if he cleans up his turnover
problems. Tua is the only QB in this draft close to Burrow and he gets injured all the time and even if Tua didn't get hurt all the 
time I like Burrow better after last season.

Queen was a late round pick before the college football playoffs and is not a good tackler. Pass until the 3rd round on Queen.

Love the rest of that Mock BTW just not the first two picks.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 02:13 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Yeah, even picks that Marvin didn’t like (Ross) at least made some sense. Drew Sample in the 2nd is just a head scratcher.

The logic for Sample made sense from a blocking perspective, but the pick was just way too early IMO for someone who wasn't a proven pass catching threat and who didn't have elite athleticism and speed like OJ Howard.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 12:36 PM)ochocincos Wrote: The New Dey Bengals drafted a blocking TE in the 2nd round last year...I don't trust them to use that many draft picks wisely.

Fair point.

I guess I was poising this as a hypothetical where we had at least an average competence FO. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The problem was they drafted an inline TE then used a blocking scheme not conducive to the use of an inline TE. By the time they changed the scheme Sample was battling injuries.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 03:24 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They just signed Uzomah to a 3-year deal too though.
For a team that doesn't emphasize the TE in the passing game much, it didn't make sense to take an inline TE that early regardless of Eifert's health.

Would have rather had any of Oliver, Sternberger, Knox, Kaden Smith, Nauta, Wilson, or Moreau over Sample.
All of those guys went after Sample.

... Aaaaaannnnndddd so did DK Metcalf.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2020, 02:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Yes, Duke was there for both but you can't think Duke was the only person giving input to picks the whole time.
Yes I think Duke was the main drafter since 2010 so yes there was a good chance we would have drafted Sample in the 2nd even if Marvin was here.  We did a similar pick with Kroft in 2015 in the 3rd  RD.
(03-08-2020, 02:11 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That’s probably a bit generous wrt Bates, but idk how you really determine if a safety is a “franchise player.”

He’s good, but not necessarily someone that moves the needle much.

He actually is someone that moves the needle for us. No doubt he had a rough start to last season but when he plays up to his potential he is a phenomenal player.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 01:48 AM)J24 Wrote: Yes I think Duke was the main drafter since 2010 so yes there was a good chance we would have drafted Sample in the 2nd even if Marvin was here.  We did a similar pick with Kroft in 2015 in the 3rd  RD.

He actually is someone that moves the needle for us. No doubt he had a rough start to last season but when he plays up to his potential he is a phenomenal player.

Again, phenomenal is a bit much. He’s good, not great.

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 03:02 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Again, phenomenal is a bit much. He’s good, not great.
Why doesn't everyone just calm down and let the kid play more than a season before calling him phenomenal, good, great or a bust?
I can definitely see the reasoning why they took him out of Washington. Maybe a little earlier than they had him projected; but, they knew he wouldn't be there for them in the 3rd Rd. They really loved him thru the drafting process (he won the tough guy award by his teammates on a loaded Washington squad), and wanted to emphasize running the ball (supposedly, but that didn't happen). Lol
The coaches also thought that Washington underutilized him in the passing game. He doesn't seem to drop balls so we'll see.
They had him pegged as the best in line blocking TE, so they took him.
From all reports, he was making a lot of plays in training camp, and he did get in the rotation throughout the year before going down with some games to go.
I'm one to wait until Year 3 before making decisions on these players.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 04:07 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Why doesn't everyone just calm down and let the kid play more than a season before calling him phenomenal, good, great or a bust?
I can definitely see the reasoning why they took him out of Washington. Maybe a little earlier than they had him projected; but, they knew he wouldn't be there for them in the 3rd Rd. They really loved him thru the drafting process (he won the tough guy award by his teammates on a loaded Washington squad), and wanted to emphasize running the ball (supposedly, but that didn't happen). Lol
The coaches also thought that Washington underutilized him in the passing game. He doesn't seem to drop balls so we'll see.
From all reports, he was making a lot of plays in training camp, and he did get in the rotation throughout the year before going down with some games to go.

Pretty sure he was referring to Jesse Bates in the last paragraph. But as far as Sample goes idc what coaches or the FO says Sample would’ve still be there in the 3rd
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 04:07 AM)JerseyDD09 Wrote: Why doesn't everyone just calm down and let the kid play more than a season before calling him phenomenal, good, great or a bust?

When most people were projecting Sample in Rd 5 or later, I will always have a hard time believing he wouldn't have been available in Rd 3 or that the Bengals couldn't have just taken a different TE who could be just as good (or better) if he wasn't available in Rd 3.

I've been wrong on draft picks before though.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(03-09-2020, 10:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: When most people were projecting Sample in Rd 5 or later, I will always have a hard time believing he wouldn't have been available in Rd 3 or that the Bengals couldn't have just taken a different TE who could be just as good (or better) if he wasn't available in Rd 3.

I've been wrong on draft picks before though.

We all have to take what the coaching staff said after the draft with a grain of salt; but when interviewed, they stated that after talking to their league sources/scouts/TE coaches around the league, they were assured that Sample wouldn't have been there at their Rd 3 pick.
They knew it was a little high, and dropping down several picks like they did made some sense. If you really want a player and fall in love with them, I'll never fault a team for taking them up to a half round higher when you just gotta have that player.
The Bengals are much better at that than they used to be. They'd pick guys a few rounds higher than expected all the time. They weren't in alignment with the rest of the league. Now they seem to be.
Reply/Quote