Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you do?
JPJ unless Barton was still available.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tough question! I'm going to go with Murphy. If we are going to keep a good rotation with our DL then we need a 3T. We have no one behind Hill or Rankins.
I wouldn't be upset if they took Mims or Thomas either. Mims could learn this season and come in on jumbo packages. Thomas will get plenty of playing time this season.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 12:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When pick #18 rolls up and the board looks like this.

18. Mims
19. Latham
20. Brian Thomas Jr.
21. Johnny Newton
22. Byron Murphy II
23. Powers-Johnson
24. Chop Robinson

I run to the podium and take Mims or Latham. Easy choice for me. 

#18 is too high for a WR3/Boyd replacement. Higgins is going nowhere this year. Or likely next if wexwant to keep him. It is a deep WR class. Day 2 or Rd4 (McCaffery) can suffice IF we think Chuck Sizzle isn't ready. 

DE is not on my radar at any point. Trey & Sam will start. We just drafted Murphy Rd1 last year. Ossai & Sample ate both signed and decent depth. Gunter on PS. 

IOL is not a premium position. Not a great draft class. And teams can usually get premium IOL drafting late first or even 2nd. Don't waste #18 on one when we have RT, WR, CB, and DT needs. Those are all premium positions. 

Speaking of DT. We have 2 starting quality DT/3T types. I do not really see the need to pick another. This is what we are paying Rankins $12 mil for. The need is at NT and neither Murphy nor Newton fit that bill. Nor are they THAT much better prospects (if at all) to Mims/Latham. 

Protect Joe better. Run the ball better. Help the D. Sew up RT for 5-8 years. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 08:43 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Latham.  I would take Fuaga 1st but he's not available.

This
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 01:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I run to the podium and take Mims or Latham. Easy choice for me. 

#18 is too high for a WR3/Boyd replacement. Higgins is going nowhere this year. Or likely next if wexwant to keep him. It is a deep WR class. Day 2 or Rd4 (McCaffery) can suffice IF we think Chuck Sizzle isn't ready. 

DE is not on my radar at any point. Trey & Sam will start. We just drafted Murphy Rd1 last year. Ossai & Sample ate both signed and decent depth. Gunter on PS. 

IOL is not a premium position. Not a great draft class. And teams can usually get premium IOL drafting late first or even 2nd. Don't waste #18 on one when we have RT, WR, CB, and DT needs. Those are all premium positions. 

Speaking of DT. We have 2 starting quality DT/3T types. I do not really see the need to pick another. This is what we are paying Rankins $12 mil for. The need is at NT and neither Murphy nor Newton fit that bill. Nor are they THAT much better prospects (if at all) to Mims/Latham. 

Thank you for putting into words how I feel. U did the hard work. I appreciate that. U are 100000% spot on. And that’s before discussing the massive health concern in brown at right tackle going forward.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 12:37 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: When pick #18 rolls up and the board looks like this.

18. Mims
19. Latham
20. Brian Thomas Jr.
21. Johnny Newton
22. Byron Murphy II
23. Powers-Johnson
24. Chop Robinson

My #18 big board is:
  1. MHJ/Odunze/Nabers (Won't be there)
  2. Joe Alt (won't be there)
  3. Taliese Fuaga (probably won't be there)
  4. Quinyon Mitchell (probably won't be there)
  5. Brock Bowers
  6. Troy Fautanu (yes, I think he can stick at tackle)
  7. Olu Fashanu
  8. Amarius Mims
  9. Johnny Newton
  10. Byron Murphy
  11. JC Latham
  12. Terrion Arnold
  13. Brian Thomas Jr
  14. Jackson Powers Johnson
  15. Jared Verse
  16. Laiatu Latu
  17. Cooper DeJean
  18. Tyler Guyton (worst case imaginable)

So I'd go with Mims
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 01:53 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I run to the podium and take Mims or Latham. Easy choice for me. 

Not sure you understand what "easy choice" means. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2024, 07:47 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I take one of the tackles. Easy. With Brown signed, probably Mims. I might gamble & move down 2-3 spots if I think one will be there. Though the Steelers at #20 screams OL. Risky.

If Sweat is there, I take him Rd2. If not, then the best WR/CB/DT left.

Rd1: RT.
Rd2: Sweat or:

WR (Boyd Replacement): McConkey, Pearsall, R. Wilson, Corley, Legette. Or:

CB4 (Chido replacement): Tampa, Rakestraw.

DT: Fiske. Maybe Jenkins or Ohorhoro.

If all that is gone, maybe best IOL.

With the Rd3 picks, whatever not taken so far (WR, CB, NT, DT), but IOL, TE, and RB start to become possible.

Frankly, I do not get the DT choices at all. We have 2 starter level (or better) 3Ts in Hill and Rankins. We need NT types. Not another 3T. Which Murphy & Newton both are.

The only Day 2 worthy NTs are Sweat & Murphy. If Sweat is there, it will have to be #49. DT, then NT would mean leaving RT, WR, & CB blank into Rd3.

I love Murphy & Newton as players, but signing Rankins takes DT off the board in Rd1 for me.

We can get a rotational DT/3T with upside in Rd2-3 or later if we must. And Carter did get a bit better.

RT, NT, WR, & CB are all higher priorities for me.

If we are drafting a boyd replacement in the second round….. have u written of Charlie jones
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 10:07 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: If we are drafting a boyd replacement in the second round….. have u written of Charlie jones

Paul Dehner was on ESPN1530 today with MO Egger and mentioned that rhe Bengals weren't impressed by Charlie Jones. Take that for what it's worth. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2024, 10:07 PM)JoeyB2023 Wrote: If we are drafting a boyd replacement in the second round….. have u written of Charlie jones

4th round picks play out their rookie deals and sign a second contract less than 50% of the time.  What has Charlie Jones shown anybody as a WR that indicates he will buck those odds, let alone develop into a decent starter year 2?
Reply/Quote