Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you like to happen?
Trying to get away from all the bad news about last night... What would you like to happen with the game against the Bills? Personally I hope they play tonight, and have both the Bills and Bengals play next monday night against their opponents. I really don't know what else they can do, other than make the game a tie (which, obviously wouldn't be good for the Bengals).
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Well, the latest information says the Bills are back in Buffalo, though a few players remained in Cincinnati.

I don't think that this game will be made up, but I also have no idea what the solution would be.

If it's a "draw/tie", would the Ravens have to approve of such a scenario?

The game was called too early to justify a W for Cincinnati.

I personally don't care about seeding.

Tough call for everyone involved.
Reply/Quote
It's fine by me to just declare the game a no-contest, with no winners, no ties, and don't replay. Players and fans of other teams impacted would understand. The worst scenario for me is a decision that benefits the Bengals because that would cast the Bengals as villains from now until the end of the NFL. I'd rather the Bengals take the high road, even offer to take a decision hurts the Bengals. It was the Bengals field, the Bengals were hosts, so even offer to take a loss if they want.
Reply/Quote
Unless there is some incredibly detailed and unique NFL rule that somehow covers this crazy scenario….

I think it’s impossible to not force a rematch.

Way too many “unfair” implications for too many teams and fans.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:24 AM)Whacked Wrote: Unless there is some incredibly detailed and unique NFL rule that somehow covers this crazy scenario….

I think it’s impossible to not force a rematch.

Way too many “unfair” implications for too many teams and fans.

I really don't think that the NFLPA would agree to playing this game considering the timeline.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:23 AM)Nepa Wrote: It's fine by me to just declare the game a no-contest, with no winners, no ties, and don't replay. Players and fans of other teams impacted would understand. The worst scenario for me is a decision that benefits the Bengals because that would cast the Bengals as villains from now until the end of the NFL. I'd rather the Bengals take the high road, even offer to take a decision hurts the Bengals. It was the Bengals field, the Bengals were hosts, so even offer to take a loss if they want.

Agree with this. If I'm the Bengals, I'd offer the Bills the W just as a nice gesture. It's relatively meaningless to them right now, but it would just show support. Whether they'd accept it or not, calling the game for them would just be a nice thing to do, and would be well regarded for a long time.

As for what the League should do.... The result is meaningless now. Just declare the game a tie or void, and let the teams have closure from the logistics of the game. 
Reply/Quote
Uh I would not offer a loss. Maybe if the bills were in the lead at the time. I don’t necessarily think it would be fair for us to have a win just because we were in the lead. I could see an agreement on a tie between teams if they both prefer unless the nfl stops that in which case I suspect it would be a no contest. I don’t see where we have time to finish the game so late in the season so iI’d be surprised if that were to happen.
Reply/Quote
NFL will get killed no matter what they do. It's going to be unfair for Buffalo, Cincinnati and all the W/C teams.

Best case scenario is they play Wednesday and then reschedule this weeks games to Monday. Short week going into the playoffs 1 less day to prepare.

I can also see the following scenarios but the NFL will get crushed

1. Bengals win based on score of 7-3 Bengals.
2. Bills "forfeit"
3. Tie (which doesn't benefit anyone but KC also screws with the Wildcards)
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:47 AM)QueenCity Wrote: NFL will get killed no matter what they do. It's going to be unfair for Buffalo, Cincinnati and all the W/C teams.

Best case scenario is they play Wednesday and then reschedule this weeks games to Monday. Short week going into the playoffs 1 less day to prepare.

I can also see the following scenarios but the NFL will get crushed

1. Bengals win based on score of 7-3 Bengals.
2. Bills "forfeit"
3. Tie (which doesn't benefit anyone but KC also screws with the Wildcards)

Or a no contest.  As if the game never happened.  That might be the only way they can solve this with no teams looking like the victim or villain.  
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:52 AM)Browns Town Bengal Wrote: Or a no contest.  As if the game never happened.  That might be the only way they can solve this with no teams looking like the victim or villain.  

Penalizes the Bengals the most in this scenario.  

No chance at the #1 seed.
Buffalo wins the #2 seed with a W vs. Pats
Bengals can still lose the North I think and do not get a home playoff game. 
Reply/Quote
First off, in no way shape or form are the Bengals villains in this tragedy. The Bengals did not tackle this guy, he tackled one of our guys. It was a freak accident, nothing else. Secondly, the game will have to replayed, there is no way stadium owners and cities will willingly give up the revenue a playoff game brings. They either have to declare it a Bengal victory because we were ahead, or replay the game, starting the clock where it stopped and with the score 7-3.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: First off, in no way shape or form are the Bengals villains in this tragedy. The Bengals did not tackle this guy, he tackled one of our guys. It was a freak accident, nothing else. Secondly, the game will have to replayed, there is no way stadium owners and cities will willingly give up the revenue a playoff game brings. They either have to declare it a Bengal victory because we were ahead, or replay the game, starting the clock where it stopped and with the score 7-3.

I don't understand why everyone is saying penalize the Bengals by declaring the Bengals a loss to the bills. I think you hit in on the button with this statement!! 
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:56 AM)QueenCity Wrote: Penalizes the Bengals the most in this scenario.  

No chance at the #1 seed.
Buffalo wins the #2 seed with a W vs. Pats
Bengals can still lose the North I think and do not get a home playoff game. 

I believe a non contest would result in the bengals winning the north.

The bengals would be 11-5 worst case (.6875 win percentage)

The ravens would be 11-6 best case (.647)
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:17 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I believe a non contest would result in the bengals winning the north.

The bengals would be 11-5 worst case (.6875 win percentage)

The ravens would be 11-6 best case (.647)

Gotcha - so in this scenario Bengals still lose a potential extra homegame and chance at #1 seed. 

It is what it is... hope they get good news on Hamlin and figure out a way to play the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:09 AM)Sled21 Wrote: First off, in no way shape or form are the Bengals villains in this tragedy. The Bengals did not tackle this guy, he tackled one of our guys. It was a freak accident, nothing else. Secondly, the game will have to replayed, there is no way stadium owners and cities will willingly give up the revenue a playoff game brings. They either have to declare it a Bengal victory because we were ahead, or replay the game, starting the clock where it stopped and with the score 7-3.

Sure, no way are the Bengals villains. But if they are given a win, because of being ahead by a 7-3 score halfway through the 1st quarter,, then the Bengals most certainly will be viewed as villains. If it were reversed, and the Bills were ahead by a 7-3 score and thus were declared the winners, then I would be absolutely incensed, as would sports fans everywhere. If a winner were declared because they were ahead partway through the 1st quarter, after only one full possession by each team, then the team declared a victor would be despised by the entire sports world. 
Reply/Quote
The only way I see for them to safely replay this game, since the Bills evidently returned to Buffalo, is to play the regularly scheduled games this coming weekend, then postpone the playoffs for a week while this game is the only game the following weekend. That means the Bengals/Bills get one week less than the rest of playoff teams to rest and prepare, but that's about as fair a scenario as I can come up with. Of course that sets up all kinds of scheduling issues with stadiums and events cities may already have planned.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 08:23 AM)Nepa Wrote: It's fine by me to just declare the game a no-contest, with no winners, no ties, and don't replay. Players and fans of other teams impacted would understand. The worst scenario for me is a decision that benefits the Bengals because that would cast the Bengals as villains from now until the end of the NFL. I'd rather the Bengals take the high road, even offer to take a decision hurts the Bengals. It was the Bengals field, the Bengals were hosts, so even offer to take a loss if they want.

I am fine with anything other than accepting a loss. Cincinnati did absolutely nothing wrong. You can’t punish Cincinnati for something out of their control.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:30 AM)Rubekahn29 Wrote: I am fine with anything other than accepting a loss. Cincinnati did absolutely nothing wrong. You can’t punish Cincinnati for something out of their control.

Giving Cincinnati the loss is an asinine idea. If anybody would take a loss (they shouldn't) it would have to be Buffalo. It was their player who was hurt and they were behind on the scoreboard. 
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:17 AM)mhbsavant Wrote: I don't understand why everyone is saying penalize the Bengals by declaring the Bengals a loss to the bills. I think you hit in on the button with this statement!! 

Nobody is saying 'penalise the Bengals'. The two people who've mentioned it in this thread (of which I'm one), said about offering the Bills the W as a nice gesture. I don't think the Bills would take it even if we did so. I also don't think we 'have' to do that.

Nobody thinks the Bengals are somehow at fault in this awful scenario. Pretty much everyone has been nothing but complimentary of how this has been handled, particularly by both franchises.
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2023, 09:29 AM)Sled21 Wrote: The only way I see for them to safely replay this game, since the Bills evidently returned to Buffalo, is to play the regularly scheduled games this coming weekend, then postpone the playoffs for a week while this game is the only game the following weekend.  That means the Bengals/Bills get one week less than the rest of playoff teams to rest and prepare, but that's about as fair a scenario as I can come up with. Of course that sets up all kinds of scheduling issues with stadiums and events cities may already have planned.

100% agree that's the way to do it.

That said, I honestly don't know what I want to see. It's surreal.
Reply/Quote