Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the best scenic drive you've ever taken in the US?
(02-07-2017, 11:53 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Conversely the worst drive I ever had was El Paso to Dallas. 9 hours of absolutely nothing and this was long before satellite radio or even CDs. They did sell a cassette tape with instructions to push play at certain mile markers and they would tell you something about the area.

What were you doing?  On the Oregon Trail?  Wink
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-03-2017, 08:51 PM)McC Wrote: Rte. 9 through Vermont in the fall.  Talk about explosion of color.  Also, whatever road goes through the Painted Desert.

I have always wanted to visit that part of the country.  Vermont, NH, and Maine.  I have no desire to see NY, unless its Ground Zero, but way up there in the NE is what I'm talking about.  It sounds gorgeous. 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 12:04 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What were you doing?  On the Oregon Trail?  Wink

Yep, but I kept pushing. The Donners decided to stop and rest for a little bit. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2017, 12:06 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I have always wanted to visit that part of the country.  Vermont, NH, and Maine.  I have no desire to see NY, unless its Ground Zero, but way up there in the NE is what I'm talking about.  It sounds gorgeous. 

been to the 9-11 memorial twice now.  Once during the day and once at night (names all have lights shining through them) I reco going at night.

its a moving experience Hawk.  they did a great job with the memorial and honoring those folks.

It's odd, but you are overwhelmed with sadness and pride at the same time?  can't really put it into words.
Reply/Quote
The ones where I have a 12 pack of cold ones along the way.

Reply/Quote
(02-02-2017, 11:51 AM)bengal_fan_in_toronto Wrote: Highway 1 from LA to San Fran over about 5 days. It's a 14 hour straight shot i believe but we wanted to take our time and stop in several towns and take in the views in Big Sur.

The drive through Big Sur is white knuckle though.

I highly recommend it.

This right here. You gotta do that Big Sur/ Monterrey area on a motorcycle.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Taking the back country roads from Hana in Hawaii back to the western shore during sunset. Absolutely stunning.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2017, 02:49 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: There are some beautiful drives through the Smokies.

In Ohio, my favorite drive was the road along the Ohio River east of Cincy.

We've got some good stuff out here as well. The road from Flagstaff to Sedona to Prescott is gorgeous (SR 89, I believe).

State Route 1 in California, the Coastal Highway, is pretty incredible.

But my favorite of all time isn't in the U.S. The road from Sorrento to Positano and the Amalfi Coast in Italy is spectacular.

US Hwy 52

I grew up on that road from 5th-12th grade. Couldn't wait to get the F out of there. 

As far as scenic routes, I'm partial to Hwy 1 in the Florida Keys and Maine. I always wanted to drive the entire length of Hwy 1 by motorcycle. Start in Maine and end in Key West where there are more bars per square mile than any place else in the US or so they story goes. 
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 02:31 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Taking the back country roads from Hana in Hawaii back to the western shore during sunset. Absolutely stunning.

Spectacular indeed. We drove south  from Wailea and up the eastern coast to Hana, the road that the car rental agency said to NOT take. Lots of single lane, with sugar cane too high to see over. And we met a couple of tour buses almost head-on. It was worth it to see the lava beaches and Seven Sacred Pools. Absolutely remarkable, as is the entire island. 
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 03:04 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: US Hwy 52

I grew up on that road from 5th-12th grade. Couldn't wait to get the F out of there. 

As far as scenic routes, I'm partial to Hwy 1 in the Florida Keys and Maine. I always wanted to drive the entire length of Hwy 1 by motorcycle. Start in Maine and end in Key West where there are more bars per square mile than any place else in the US or so they story goes. 

52 is a nice drive, but I wouldn't want to live there either.
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 03:13 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: Spectacular indeed. We drove south  from Wailea and up the eastern coast to Hana, the road that the car rental agency said to NOT take. Lots of single lane, with sugar cane too high to see over. And we met a couple of tour buses almost head-on. It was worth it to see the lava beaches and Seven Sacred Pools. Absolutely remarkable, as is the entire island. 

Yessir. We were told not to take the road as well, but I didnt find it all that bad. Only bad thing was when another car was coming in the opposite direction, like you mentioned. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-09-2017, 03:04 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: US Hwy 52

(02-09-2017, 04:30 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: 52 is a nice drive, but I wouldn't want to live there either.

52 runs through my neck of the woods too.....goes through some pretty destitute mountain towns.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Green Bay to Cincinatti Ohio is the best scenic drive I have ever been on lol.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2017, 05:48 PM)Wyche Wrote: 52 runs through my neck of the woods too.....goes through some pretty destitute mountain towns.

What's funny is it ends/begins in the Charleston, SC area not too far away from where my wife grew up. Practically neighbors. LOL
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:04 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: What's funny is it ends/begins in the Charleston, SC area not too far away from where my wife grew up. Practically neighbors. LOL

Almost like family..... Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Blue Ridge Parkway is awesome, and decently close to most of you.

My favorite drive is through southern Utah. Vegas to Moab.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote