Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whats the one thing you will pay attention to in the preseason
(06-23-2019, 06:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  O-line
2.  LBs
3.  Ross and every WR other than Green and Boyd.

I WANT TO SEE WINS.NOTHING ELSE MATTERS,YOU SHOULD WIN IN PRE-SEASON TO SET THE STAGE FOR THE PLAYERS,THAT WOULD BE VERY POSITVE FOR THE PLAYERS.SHOW ME WINS.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2019, 12:15 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I WANT TO SEE WINS.NOTHING ELSE MATTERS,YOU SHOULD WIN IN PRE-SEASON TO SET THE STAGE FOR THE PLAYERS,THAT WOULD BE VERY POSITVE FOR THE PLAYERS.SHOW ME WINS.

Not if the starters look bad and they win in garbage time.

Wins aren't the litmus test for a team in pre-season and won't translate into a winning mentality if they are achieved by 3rd stringers.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
One thing: offensive line. The season hinges on it. The immediate future hinges on it.
Go Benton Panthers!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2019, 12:38 PM)BengalsRocker Wrote: Not if the starters look bad and they win in garbage time.

Wins aren't the litmus test for a team in pre-season and won't translate into a winning mentality if they are achieved by 3rd stringers.

You speak the truth.  There is literally no correlation between preseason record and regular season success.  Personally, as long as our starters and 1st backups demonstrate well, I could care less about the final outcome of a preseason game.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Jonah Williams.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 03:30 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If I see williams, that will be a blessing. But what I'm truly looking for is discipline and execution. Plus, since this is the new regime of coaching, I would like to see how they strategize for the W. I know W's and L's don't matter in preseason, and for gods sake don't want any injuries to players trying to achieve one, but curious how ZT will be running his show. Last think we need is another era of ML safe play to lose.

This.   I want to see a team whose players obviously know what they're doing and are not sloppy.  I want crisp and effective execution.
Reply/Quote
My eyes will be glued on the RT position.
Let's see if this FO is justified in signing Bobby Hart to the contract they signed him too.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2019, 12:15 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I WANT TO SEE WINS.NOTHING ELSE MATTERS,YOU SHOULD WIN IN PRE-SEASON TO SET THE STAGE FOR THE PLAYERS,THAT WOULD BE VERY POSITVE FOR THE PLAYERS.SHOW ME WINS.

Preseason wins mean absolutely zilch. Just ask Peyton Manning.

I want to see an Offensive Line that is run blocking with purpose and dominance and a Linebacking group that can cover and tackle.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2019, 03:00 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Preseason wins mean absolutely zilch. Just ask Peyton Manning.

I want to see an Offensive Line that is run blocking with purpose and dominance and a Linebacking group that can cover and tackle.

I'd like to see the OL pass block well too. Too many pressures given up last year.
The Bengals were 7th in run blocking last year according to Pro Football Outsiders, but they were 19th in pass blocking. 
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Bengals were 24th in pass blocking efficiency according to PFF - https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-pass-blocking-efficiency
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
O-line. Couple new running back’s should be interesting to watch. Wide receivers other than green in Boyd.And of course,Our brand new rising star rookie quarterback,Dolegala.I believe this guy has a lot of potential.Besides,I can’t help but support the underdog.Overall,this upcoming training camp,and preseason is going to be interesting,,, to say the least !!!
Reply/Quote
I will start by stating that I wish the Chiefs game was the last game of preseason. I would have been interested in the first quarter of that game, just to see how we respond to their offense.

So, as it is now, other than the good comments already made here related to OL, LB, WRs, etc. - I am interested in specific matchups.

In the Giants game, I would like to see if Brown can contain Barkley. Run or Pass.

In the Colts game, I want to see Geno against their LG (the kid from ND).

In the Redskins game I want to see Lawson against Williams (If Lawson is ready to go and Williams doesn't hold out)

In the KC game, being the first preseason game, I just want to see if our defense can line up correctly, tackle, cover and contain Mahomes.
Reply/Quote
Tempo of Offense schemes. Seemed like under Lewis, the offense was slow getting to line, causing unwanted time outs, pre-snap errors. I want to see a high tempo offensive machine marching down the field with physicality. I think the defense will be okay.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 03:08 PM)impactplaya Wrote: For me I want to see how much diverse the offense will look
I dont expect ZT to obviously show the whole playbook.
but I want to seeenough that I know the offenses of the last 3 years have been exorcised out of Cincy.
cant wait to see what Williams Sample will look like like.
and to see how those last few WR spots shake out.

How the coaches react and adjust play calling during the game.
Reply/Quote
I'm curious how Sample will play and how they will use the TEs. Plus I want to see a 4.0 or better YPC for our running game.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
O-line play, specifically Hart to see if any obvious improvement happens.
Confucius say, he who go to bed with itchy butt wake up with smelly finger.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2019, 06:27 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: How the coaches react and adjust play calling during the game.

Mike, that's the one thing that you just don't see in the preseason. No one shows their hand.

In the last game you'll see some basic live plays in the first couple of series. Outside of that, there is little of strategy.

It's vanilla base defenses against vanilla offenses.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2019, 06:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: 1.  O-line
2.  LBs
3.  Ross and every WR other than Green and Boyd.

This.  And Drew Sample.
Reply/Quote
Primarily I hope to see no injuries or at least as few as possible with all our starters ready to go in Seattle.. Preseason is usually just knocking off the rust and if they lose every game so be it as they don't count towards the regular season anyway. I would hope to see the Oline perform well and LB's as well.. Clock management in preseason is pretty meaningless so I doubt that'll be an issue and if it is we'll see that in the regular season as well..
What I REALLY wanna see is which washout receiver gets the most fluff ink from Hobson to tell us why we should all jump on the late round and CFA player bandwagon only to be disappointed or to see them get cut, picked up by another AFCN team and turned into an instant superstar!  You know we can count on at least one of em.. How many preseason beasts will ride the pine and make us all want to see a regular cut in favor of em?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2019, 03:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'd like to see the OL pass block well too. Too many pressures given up last year.
The Bengals were 7th in run blocking last year according to Pro Football Outsiders, but they were 19th in pass blocking. 
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol
Bengals were 24th in pass blocking efficiency according to PFF - https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-pass-blocking-efficiency

Footballoutsiders can rank them wherever they wish to but anyone who watched them knows they were not a dominant run blocking unit. That is like saying their identity under Lewis was a running team because they had a lot of attempts.

Edit: I took the time to look at your link. Did you? They were ranked 22nd in run blocking....LMFAO! They were ranked 7th in power rankings which is their formulation for short yardage runs. Oh my goodness....lol.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2019, 04:30 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I will start by stating that I wish the Chiefs game was the last game of preseason. I would have been interested in the first quarter of that game, just to see how we respond to their offense.

So, as it is now, other than the good comments already made here related to OL, LB, WRs, etc. - I am interested in specific matchups.

In the Giants game, I would like to see if Brown can contain Barkley. Run or Pass.

In the Colts game, I want to see Geno against their LG (the kid from ND).

In the Redskins game I want to see Lawson against Williams (If Lawson is ready to go and Williams doesn't hold out)

In the KC game, being the first preseason game, I just want to see if our defense can line up correctly, tackle, cover and contain Mahomes.

You are aware that is has been NFL tradition for over a decade, that the last PS game is against the same team, right?

Guarantee you Geno doesn't even take a snap.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote