Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel and tire size question.
My daughter drives and old Carolla ('07).  When I bought her the car I told her that one good thing about that car was that they sold millions of them so I should always be able to find used parts.

Last week she ran off the road and ruined her wheels.  They were not alloy wheels.  Just cheap steel wheels with plastic covers.  But I could not find used ones anywhere. I called salvage yards all over east Tennessee and even into Kentucky.  I even did some research and found that the Pontiac Vibe had the same exact size wheels, but no luck with them either.

So I went on Ebay and found new ones, but they were so expensive I decided to look at used alloy wheels.  And that is where the question come is.

The wheels from the Corolla where 15" X 6" I found a set of 16" X 6.5" wheels with the same bolt pattern and I think they will fit without any rubbing.  The ebay wheels come with tires already on them.  The tires are only 20 MM wider (about 3/4") and basically the same sidewall height (2 MM taller).  The offset is only about 1/4" greater, so the wheels won't be pushed out a lot.

I think there should be plenty of room.  An extra 1 inch in wheel diameter is only an extra 1/2 inch on each side.

Sound okay to you all?
Reply/Quote
I'm sure it will bfine. Many cars come with different wheel size options.

It's not like back in the day when we put leaf spring shackles in the car so we could put the 50s on the back
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Probably just fine, but take some very careful measurements to be sure. You'll need to measure out more than just the half inch. That's when the vehicle is sitting still. It doesn't take into account all the movement hitting bumps and potholes and tight turns.. There's always the possibility of having to widen the fender and quarter panel openings which would probably cost more than just the new wheels and tires.. I could do that, but I'm not doing body work anymore.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-23-2022, 07:00 PM)grampahol Wrote: Probably just fine, but take some very careful measurements to be sure. You'll need to measure out more than just the half inch. That's when the vehicle is sitting still. It doesn't take into account all the movement hitting bumps and potholes and tight turns.. There's always the possibility of having to widen the fender and quarter panel openings which would probably cost more than just the new wheels and tires.. I could do that, but I'm not doing body work anymore.. 

It really seemed like there would be plenty of room.  I am just a little concerned about the offset pushing the wheel out more.

The wheels come with tires that don't look like they have a lot of tread on them.  I can always put slightly smaller tires on the wheels if there is any issue with rubbing at all.

BTW I have seen guys roll a wheel well fender out with a baseball bat just to get a quarter or half-inch more clearance.  Hopefully I won't have to try anything like that.
Reply/Quote