Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When A Coach Challenges.....
When a coach throws the challenge flag, the ref comes over to ask him what he wants to challenge, but the ref, by rule, reviews everything in the play, not just what the coach wanted, so why does he even ask the coach?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 11:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: When a coach throws the challenge flag, the ref comes over to ask him what he wants to challenge, but the ref, by rule, reviews everything in the play, not just what the coach wanted, so why does he even ask the coach?

He may be asking to make sure what the coach wants to be challenged is review-able. This is a ridiculous example, but the ref may run over and ask what the coach wants to review and the coach replies with, "There was pass interference on the play." The ref may inform him that he cannot challenge that specific rule and if he still wants the play to be reviewed. The coach may then say no. 

I'm trying to think of a more specific rule as an example, but I know I have seen the red flag come out and then the ref informs the coach that he cannot challenge a particular rule and forgoes the challenge. 
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 11:55 PM)MrRager Wrote: He may be asking to make sure what the coach wants to be challenged is review-able. This is a ridiculous example, but the ref may run over and ask what the coach wants to review and the coach replies with, "There was pass interference on the play." The ref may inform him that he cannot challenge that specific rule and if he still wants the play to be reviewed. The coach may then say no. 

I'm trying to think of a more specific rule as an example, but I know I have seen the red flag come out and then the ref informs the coach that he cannot challenge a particular rule and forgoes the challenge. 

But by now you have to think that they know what's challengeable and what's not, especially when it's as obvious as a coach throwing a challenge flag when a player gets tackled stretching out for the first and going out-of-bounds.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 11:59 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: But by now you have to think that they know what's challengeable and what's not, especially when it's as obvious as a coach throwing a challenge flag when a player gets tackled stretching out for the first and going out-of-bounds.

You would hope they know, but some weird rules exist in the NFL. Is illegal formation something you can challenge? What about if you feel a player went out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball, but is wasn't called? I know you can challenge 12 men on the field, can you for 12 men in the huddle? 

These are even some of the more common rules I am sure there are a thousand more that I am not even aware of. 

It could also be an entirely different reason, that was just a guess.
[Image: what%2Bday%2Bis%2Bit.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 12:07 AM)MrRager Wrote: You would hope they know, but some weird rules exist in the NFL. Is illegal formation something you can challenge? What about if you feel a player went out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball, but is wasn't called? I know you can challenge 12 men on the field, can you for 12 men in the huddle? 

These are even some of the more common rules I am sure there are a thousand more that I am not even aware of. 

It could also be an entirely different reason, that was just a guess.

They can't throw a flag to have a missed penalty reviewed and they can't throw a flag to have a called penalty reviewed. If a whistle is blown, ending a play, it can't be challenged. If a whistle is blown early on a turnover, the only thing they review is if the ball is clearly recovered by the defense. The ball can't be advanced (bengals v steelers playoff game on the Gio hit/fumble).

The most common things they review when a flag is thrown:
Catch/no catch
Interception/no interception
Fumble/no fumble
In bounds/out of bounds

All touchdowns are automatically reviewed.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2017, 11:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: When a coach throws the challenge flag, the ref comes over to ask him what he wants to challenge, but the ref, by rule, reviews everything in the play, not just what the coach wanted, so why does he even ask the coach?

If the coach throws the flag, the only thing they look at is what the coach is disputing. They don't consider anything else other than what the coach asks them to look at. 

Whatever is called on the field is how the play initially stands. It's up to either coach to challenge what is called on the field and whether or not the call is changed. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:04 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They can't throw a flag to have a missed penalty reviewed and they can't throw a flag to have a called penalty reviewed. If a whistle is blown, ending a play, it can't be challenged. If a whistle is blown early on a turnover, the only thing they review is if the ball is clearly recovered by the defense. The ball can't be advanced (bengals v steelers playoff game on the Gio hit/fumble).

Catch/no catch
Fumble/no fumble
In bounds/out of bounds

Except for 12 men on the field.

Didn't Marv challenge that against Tampa in '14? I know they sat their looking at it and the commentators mentioned it for a while.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 09:02 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Except for 12 men on the field.

Didn't Marv challenge that against Tampa in '14? I know they sat their looking at it and the commentators mentioned it for a while.

I thought about 12 men on the field but didn't post it because i'm not sure...but, when you think about it, it's a dead ball foul...so it seems like something you can challenge. Just can't challenge a flag that's thrown or challenge a play where you think a flag should have been thrown (during a live play).

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 01:04 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They can't throw a flag to have a missed penalty reviewed and they can't throw a flag to have a called penalty reviewed. If a whistle is blown, ending a play, it can't be challenged. If a whistle is blown early on a turnover, the only thing they review is if the ball is clearly recovered by the defense. The ball can't be advanced (bengals v steelers playoff game on the Gio hit/fumble).

Catch/no catch
Fumble/no fumble
In bounds/out of bounds

All turnovers are automatically reviewed too, so no need for flag on interception or fumble. Might even be a penalty if a coach throws a flag on an automatic review.
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 11:15 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I thought about 12 men on the field but didn't post it because i'm not sure...but, when you think about it, it's a dead ball foul...so it seems like something you can challenge. Just can't challenge a flag that's thrown or challenge a play where you think a flag should have been thrown (during a live play).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9jks1KHUs

Basically starts at 2:35. Marv throws the flag.

And yes, you sadly cannot challenge penalties otherwise, during a live play <_<

EDIT*: Just finished watching the video lol, it didn't count because was within 2 minutes! lol
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I think it depends on which team is doing what. 
With Marvin the conversation goes something like 'C'mon, I know the stupid rules so try to not make me look bad for the audience at home. ' while someone like Bellicheat the conversation goes like 'C'mon, you can make up some rule that doesn't exist yet so we can have our assured victory. The league can apologize later and never change the outcome of the game. '
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 11:42 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: All turnovers are automatically reviewed too, so no need for flag on interception or fumble. Might even be a penalty if a coach throws a flag on an automatic review.

If there's a clear change of possession, yes. If a pick is close and they call it no catch, but replay shows it was, you challenge it. 

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 11:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9jks1KHUs

EDIT*: Just finished watching the video lol, it didn't count because was within 2 minutes! lol

Ahh, now i remember that part of the game.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 11:42 AM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9jks1KHUs

I remember there being some talk about how smart it was for Marv to throw that flag (knowing it was illegal), to stop the clock so they would look at it, with it being inside 2 minutes.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2017, 03:04 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: I remember there being some talk about how smart it was for Marv to throw that flag (knowing it was illegal), to stop the clock so they would look at it, with it being inside 2 minutes.

Isn't that always just in time for the mystery 10 second run off to end the game in favor of [insert other team here ]?
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I thought they penalize you with a timeout if you throw a challenge flag when you're not allowed to. Oh the days of not even having review, how did fans survive.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 07:29 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I thought they penalize you with a timeout if you throw a challenge flag when you're not allowed to. Oh the days of not even having review, how did fans survive.

If you throw one under two minutes and they were going to challenge it anyways, I'm pretty sure they penalized a team by not reviewing it even if they would have, but I think they changed that rule.
Reply/Quote