Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Former Bengals talk about preparing for the Steelers
Paul Daugherty did a cool piece, talking with former Bengals - as well as Dre K and Paul Alexander - about preparing for and playing the Steelers. 

'The Bengals play in Pittsburgh Sunday, against the Steelers. You might have heard.

Other rivalries attract more attention in the NFL. None surpass this one for longevity and contentiousness. From the 1970s to now. Almost half a century. The Steelers have been Big Brother through much of it, but the Bengals have had their days, enough to warrant the billing.

This week, I chased down several Bengals, current and former, and posed one, simple question:

What part have the Steelers played in defining your career?

Herewith a virtual round-table discussion. Say hey again to Ken Anderson, Bob Trumpy, Reggie Williams, Tim McGee, Willie Anderson, Cris Collinsworth, Solomon Wilcots, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Paul Alexander and Dre Kirkpatrick.'

Read what the players had to say in the article.
Reply/Quote
Nice to see the old timers giving Burfict his due for helping bring intensity to this rivalry.  As they all noted, they fear him, he is in their heads.  Yeah, I don't like the extra-curriculars, but this attitude and ferocity is what this team had been lacking.  You absolutely need an enforcer in this division.  He has cleaned up the dirty stuff, but the intensity is still there.  We need him on this team, and on his A-game to stand a chance.  He brings it every Sunday.  I don't always condone his actions, but I like the fear factor.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 10:43 AM)Wyche Wrote: Nice to see the old timers giving Burfict his due for helping bring intensity to this rivalry.  As they all noted, they fear him, he is in their heads.  Yeah, I don't like the extra-curriculars, but this attitude and ferocity is what this team had been lacking.  You absolutely need an enforcer in this division.  He has cleaned up the dirty stuff, but the intensity is still there.  We need him on this team, and on his A-game to stand a chance.  He brings it every Sunday.  I don't always condone his actions, but I like the fear factor.

I agree Burfict is in the heads so now he just needs to make sure he delivers clean nasty hits so they get upset and get personal fouls while Burfict and rest of team immediately walks away hands in air.

You can't hit high, so I hope he goes to the knees of Bell on passes out of the backfield, hard and low and watch the Steeler's players coaches and fans whine.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
That was an amazing article, especially the part about Willie Anderson’s idea of playing violently.
Reply/Quote
They can't listen to the chatter. You know the Steelers are gonna try and get in their heads, it's worked dozens of times over last several years. They've got to ignore it and out intensify them between the whistles, keep it clean.
Reply/Quote
You can tell Housh still hates the Steelers and I love every bit of that.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I simultaneously care about the player's health and miss the old days of massive hits across the middle/on QBs. Burfict's 2 step shoulder hit, interception called back for unnecessary roughness penalty shows those days are over.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 06:30 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: They can't listen to the chatter. You know the Steelers are gonna try and get in their heads, it's worked dozens of times over last several years. They've got to ignore it and out intensify them between the whistles, keep it clean.

While I agree with you 100 percent here, it has to be hard to keep your cool when the other team is obviously head hunting and their coach is pulling your hair on the sidelines ETC etc...
Reply/Quote
Kenny Anderson, thanks to a Steeler, for the last thirty some years, has had the rare ability to turn his head and look at the guy directly behind him. The trade off is that he hasn't had a real night's sleep in those thirty some years. But hey, no one can ever sneak up behind him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Tell us how you really feel Reggie. 

Williams: From the very first time I tackled Franco Harris, he had to be on his back and I had to be on top. From (tight end) Bennie Cunningham to their whole steroid-ridden offensive line, it was a manhood game. Using steroids was legal, so there was nothing you could say. The Steelers were the most guilty of a guilty league.

Love it.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-21-2017, 10:55 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Tell us how you really feel Reggie. 

Williams: From the very first time I tackled Franco Harris, he had to be on his back and I had to be on top. From (tight end) Bennie Cunningham to their whole steroid-ridden offensive line, it was a manhood game. Using steroids was legal, so there was nothing you could say. The Steelers were the most guilty of a guilty league.

Love it.

Everybody did it, we just did it best.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote