Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Mixon Gets Rolling…
He gets taken out of the game. It’s always confuses me. I feel like we should’ve leaned on him more in this game. It’s ok to take him out of the game after a big play if he is winded but then it feels like he’s out for 6-8 plays…
Reply/Quote
I guess they had to throw to try and stay in it?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:17 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I guess they had to throw to try and stay in it?

Nah this was early and happens in all our games. They bring Perine in but he’s just in there for too many snaps imo. No knock on Perine who does some good things here or there… just want them to utilize mixon more when he’s playing well like he was today
Reply/Quote
I don't know. All I know for certain, I'm not a fan of the offensive play calling. It tends to be too predictable, rely too much on passing, and does a bad job at controlling the clock (thereby exposing a tired bengals defense eventually).

The Bengals have the offensive talent to put up 35+ points a game vs most teams.
Reply/Quote
Our run game confuses me completely tbh. Every time I check the stats midway through a game, Mixon is on like 2.4 yards a carry or something weak. Or if it's not Mixon, it's Gio Bernard... Jeremy Hill.... Benjarvis Green-Ellis...

No I'm not living in some hallucination where Bengals players of old are joining the current team. My point is the run game seems to have been tepid for seasons on end now. We have the random year where it's a strength, but all too often we seem to be sitting on like 20 rushing yards with 5 mins left in the first half.

I definitely think it's more an O-Line issue than the RBs we've fielded in these seasons, but gotta point a big finger at the coaching too. I dream of the day when we get Ced Ben from 2009 (?) in the backfield and run it at the Ravens and Steelers for 100+ yards a game.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:25 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I definitely think it's more an O-Line issue than the RBs we've fielded in these seasons, but gotta point a big finger at the coaching too. I dream of the day when we get Ced Ben from 2009 (?) in the backfield and run it at the Ravens and Steelers for 100+ yards a game.

Jim Anderson retired back in 2012. The Bengals RB coach situation has been on the iffy side since.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He gets taken out of the game. It’s always confuses me. I feel like we should’ve leaned on him more in this game. It’s ok to take him out of the game after a big play if he is winded but then it feels like he’s out for 6-8 plays…

Perine ran 5 times for 20 yard and 2 catches for 17.. so he was effective.. . i really dont see your point
Reply/Quote
There are some good run designs, you just don’t see them enough. The pitch where Stanley Morgan came around was a good example. However… do we run every time Stanley Morgen is on the field?? Always seems like a tell when you see him come out.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Perine ran 5 times for 20 yard and 2 catches for 17.. so he was effective.. . i really dont see your point

It’s not so much who as it is when.. I just think they take Mixon out at weird times in the game.. this dates back to Marvin so maybe it’s just a Mixon thing.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:02 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He gets taken out of the game. It’s always confuses me. I feel like we should’ve leaned on him more in this game. It’s ok to take him out of the game after a big play if he is winded but then it feels like he’s out for 6-8 plays…

This week the team was behind so much, but I'd still keep him in there and throw to him. He's actually a very good receiver and is tough to bring down by secondaries.

Mixon is one of those guys who should get 20+ carries a game regardless though. But that's never been the Zac way though.

Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:42 PM)BengalChris Wrote: But that's never been the Zac way though.

What is the zac way though .288? Zac needs to pull a "George Costanza" and start doing the complete opposite of what Zac thinks should be the play called.
Reply/Quote

Its hard to lean on a RB when the OL isn't blocking for him. This offensive line is exactly what some of us thought would be because the front office did not do enough this offseason. And no I'm not talking about Sewell, there were plenty of other options in FA and draft choices other than Sewell. 
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:32 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Perine ran 5 times for 20 yard and 2 catches for 17.. so he was effective.. . i really dont see your point

I have zero issue with Perine getting 7 touches. In fact, I think the backup should get around that every single week, as long as the game flow permits. My problem is we need to run more in general. Mixon should've had more than 13 carries when he's playing that well. We stopped running fairly early in the game. While it was still a contest.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Mixon has mostly stayed a top 5 rusher all year. I said this was a Mixon kind of game day, be it running or catching. Maybe it would not have worked out in the long run, but I think he showed he came to play. When Burrow threw the pick, I would have been running with Mixon. I'm not Monday Morning Quarterbacking or anything. It wasn't the worst call ever, but not one I would have made and would have been him on 1st and second then consider something on 3rd down.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
Zac considers himself a passing game mastermind, so he doesn't stick to the run. He will throw 10 consecutive plays, even if that means the offense went 3 and out 3 straight times for that to happen, but after 2 successful consecutive runs he won't run again for more drives. It's quite infuriating.
Reply/Quote
(11-07-2021, 08:35 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It’s not so much who as it is when.. I just think they take Mixon out at weird times in the game.. this dates back to Marvin so maybe it’s just a Mixon thing.

Mixon touched the ball 5 of first 6 plays.. he asked to come out, Perine and was involved,, i have seen a trend.. RBs/WRs take themselve out more and more.. 
Reply/Quote