Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When The Heck Did Shaun Smith and Corey Mays Become Legends?
The Bengals are honoring 24 "Legends" during the home Ravens game and Texans game.

Ravens Game

Ken Anderson
Issac Curtis
Ken Riley
Lemar Parrish
Louis Breeden
Mike Reid
Ross Browner
Ken Avery
Al Beauchamp
Solomon Brannan
Gary Burley
Turk Schonert
John Stofa

Texans Game

Chad Johnson
Cris Collinsworth
Max Montoya
TJ Houshmanzadeh
Bill Bergey
Rich Braham
Ken Blackman
Neil Craig
Jonathan Fanene
Corey Mays
Shaun Smith

I appreciate the gesture but I had to laugh when I saw the list of players being honored and those 2 were on the list. Didn't Shaun Smith bash our team after he took ran off to Cleveland? Corey Mays was on our team for 1 year...I think?

I don't mind role players showing up to be honored but Smith and Mays seem out of the blue.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Ken-Anderson-and-Chad-Johnson-Among-Legends-to-be-Honored-at-Ravens-and-Texans-Games/b75dd35f-6c88-4c23-b91a-fe876abcdfa9
Reply/Quote
Must be good friends with some of the coaches or Mike Brown.

Or maybe they ran out of players willing to accept an invite. I can't think of any other explanation.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is why I was never big on the whole honor all the former great thing... Turk Schonert? C'mon man.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 06:21 PM)jason Wrote: This is why I was never big on the whole honor all the former great thing... Turk Schonert? C'mon man.

We have plenty of players worthy of honor that aren't on that list.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 07:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have plenty of players worthy of honor that aren't on that list.

Agreed. Maybe some didn't want to show or their schedules clashed.

Still it'd be better to have 10 guys instead of inviting C.Mays and Shaun Smith. It cheapens it for guys like Chad and others that were real contributors.
Reply/Quote
I know they are making an effort to have guys come in that just want to. So, not sure if those guys you mentioned actually made the fan voting of the top 50 -- but if you're a Bengals alumnus who wants to come to a game, they'll have you.

It's actually something the Packers do quite often, as a frame of reference. They trot out dudes no one has ever heard of on teams that were awful out at every halftime.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 07:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have plenty of players worthy of honor that aren't on that list.

Yeah, like Anthony Munoz and Willie Anderson.

Mike Brown was throwing darts to make selections once again. Reminds me of his draft philosophy of the 90s.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 09:08 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, like Anthony Munoz and Willie Anderson.

Mike Brown was throwing darts to make selections once again. Reminds me of his draft philosophy of the 90s.

players will be honored at every game so your reference about Munoz and Anderson is empty, they will be honored when they attend a game, 
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 07:04 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We have plenty of players worthy of honor that aren't on that list.

Oh you know it. I'm just saying that some of those guys at those two games are pushing it. You and I could concoct a better list than that for those two games. I'm not hating on our past greats one bit. I thought Turk was awesome as a young kid... He talked to me at training camp in Wilmington. When you 7 that means you are friends. But dude was a backup QB... I'm sure Mccarron will be honored at 75 .
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Is Dillon coming to one of the games?

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote

you do understand we play 8 home games correct ?? lol.. nothing burger here ... plenty of players will be honored.. probably close to 100 is going to be my guess.. nothing wrong with that.. 
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 08:30 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I know they are making an effort to have guys come in that just want to. So, not sure if those guys you mentioned actually made the fan voting of the top 50 -- but if you're a Bengals alumnus who wants to come to a game, they'll have you.

It's actually something the Packers do quite often, as a frame of reference. They trot out dudes no one has ever heard of on teams that were awful out at every halftime.

I can't wait to see the backup long-snapper on the 1993 Bengals!
Reply/Quote
I can imagine there are a few who blew through all their football money years ago and now can't afford a bus ticket to Cincinnati. 
Anyone still have the money they made 20 years ago?  I know I don't..
Could be worse..they could be honoring Squeelers instead..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Lets welcome Bengals Legends David Klingler and Akili Smith.
Reply/Quote
Man the regular season needs to get here quick.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 10:23 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Lets welcome Bengals Legends David Klingler and Akili Smith.

Don't forget Ki-Jana Carter.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
Jeff Query in the house!

He started all 16 games for us in 1993 at WR. Wrap your brain around that!
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 08:30 PM)jowczarski Wrote: I know they are making an effort to have guys come in that just want to. So, not sure if those guys you mentioned actually made the fan voting of the top 50 -- but if you're a Bengals alumnus who wants to come to a game, they'll have you.

Maybe we're a little spoiled because the Reds trot out the Big Red Machine out there fairly regularly?

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2017, 06:01 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: I appreciate the gesture but I had to laugh when I saw the list of players being honored and those 2 were on the list. Didn't Shaun Smith bash our team after he took ran off to Cleveland? Corey Mays was on our team for 1 year...I think?

I don't mind role players showing up to be honored but Smith and Mays seem out of the blue.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Ken-Anderson-and-Chad-Johnson-Among-Legends-to-be-Honored-at-Ravens-and-Texans-Games/b75dd35f-6c88-4c23-b91a-fe876abcdfa9

I think Corey Mays had legendary hair?  And Shaun Smith, aka, the Hamburgler, made a legendary play on stealing a plate of burgers from the press box. 

Reminds me of the line from "Major League":

Jake Taylor: "Well, you're a celebrity now, Vaugh"
Wild Thing: "I thought you had to do something good to be a celebrity"
Jake Taylor:  "Not if you do it colorfully..."
Reply/Quote

And at least, for me, this is the Bengals trying to tie in to some of their past...something I have complained about the absence of for a long time.  So, I will give them a pass on a couple also-rans for the gesture. 
Reply/Quote