Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
When Were Wild Card Game Times Set?
(01-09-2019, 02:52 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: So you want me to go through and click each game and find the start time and calculate time zones and traveling?

If you had gone through all that trouble, you would have just posted the link for each one and the results.

Translation: I'm fairly certain that you're full of shit.

Well, you're used to living in your own delusions, so there's no real reason for me to stop you from it now.

EDIT: I'll tell you what.  I'll do as many as I can in fifteen minutes.  That should be enough to shut you up.  ;-)

See you at 3:55.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 01:03 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I hadn't posted on this site at all in about 3 years. Needed time away after the old forum was shut down, I guess. Twitter became a more appropriate forum for me. Forces me to be brief and works well with my sense of humor (which becomes more & more important every year).

Marvin's exit, however, provided something of a catharsis for me. I finally felt like interacting here again and getting back in touch with some of those I don't see on Twitter. Naturally, I had to at least dabble a little bit in Smack Talk as well, even though that was never really a strength of mine. Nice to see so many old friends in here as well.

Glad you're back
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 04:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: NFL teams travel a day or two before games, meaning you're full of shit, like always. 

Regardless, do you a few days (it's not several), could reset a person's clock that has been set by years or even months of getting used to one time zone?

Once again, you're full of shit.

The average person can adjust their internal clock by 3 hours in roughly two days when traveling East or a day and a half when traveling West.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2829880/
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
Okay, Brad, here you go.  I got through 2013:

For 2018:
Early games:
The Chargers won at the Ravens with a 1:00 pm start time.  (1-0)

Late games:
The Seahawks lost at the Cowboys in a primetime game.  (0-1)

For 2017:
No games fit the criteria. The only west coast team was the Rams, and they lost in the first round at home, so that doesn't count.  

For 2016:
Early games:
None that fit the criteria

Late games:
Raiders lost to the Texans, 4:35 start (0-2)
Seahawks lost at the Falcons, 4:35 start (0-3)

For 2015:
Early games:
Seahawks won at Minnesota, 1:05 start (2-0)
Seahawks lost at Carolina, 1:06 start (2-1)

Late games:
Cardinals lost at Carolina, prime time start (0-4)

For 2014:
Early games:

Late games:
Cardinals lost at Carolina, 4:20 start (0-5)
Seattle won at Green Bay, 3:06 start (1-5)

For 2013
Early Games:
Chargers won at Cincy, 1:05 start (3-1)
SF won at Carolina, 1:05 start (4-1)

Late games:
SF won at GB, 4:40 start (2-5)

Early games, the western team was 4-1.  Late games, they were 2-5.  I think that the gap narrowed a bit with a few more years (I didn't document those earlier, so you'll have to check for yourself), but clearly, playing early did not affect six years' worth of teams too badly.

EDIT: You can check these pretty easily with Google.  Note that the years given were for the appropriate season, not the year the game was played in.  
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 04:48 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: NFL teams travel a day or two before games, meaning you're full of shit, like always. 

Regardless, do you a few days (it's not several), could reset a person's clock that has been set by years or even months of getting used to one time zone?

Once again, you're full of shit.

They usually travel 2 on Friday for Sunday games, or Thursday for Saturday games. How much time do you think they need to get adjusted? Also it's not years that these players are in one time zone. Most of these people have multiple houses all over the US and stay in one during football season and one after. No one I knows stays in the same house for years. Once again you're just full of shit. You would be surprised at how quickly your body adapts to the time zone differences. I've been all over the US and never had to worry about my body getting used to any changes. Trust me, these people are professionals for a reason. Maybe if you got out of your timezone, you would see how quickly your body adapts and how idiotic you sound right now.
Reply/Quote
This has to be Brads lamest attempt to drudge up shit, ever.

Who gives a flippin faq?

You. Need. Laid.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 10:40 PM)Captain Obvious Wrote: They usually travel 2 on Friday for Sunday games, or Thursday for Saturday games. How much time do you think they need to get adjusted? Also it's not years that these players are in one time zone. Most of these people have multiple houses all over the US and stay in one during football season and one after. No one I knows stays in the same house for years. Once again you're just full of shit. You would be surprised at how quickly your body adapts to the time zone differences. I've been all over the US and never had to worry about my body getting used to any changes. Trust me, these people are professionals for a reason. Maybe if you got out of your timezone, you would see how quickly your body adapts and how idiotic you sound right now.

I can only speak in regards to the Bengals so maybe they handle travel differently, but they fly in Saturday for Sunday games. I've stalked the team stayed at the team hotel in Green Bay, Minnesota, & Miami and that's been pretty consistent. Plus, the team and some players' Twitter accounts occasionally show pictures of them traveling the day before the games.

That said, I don't believe that some of the best athletes in the world - particularly those who are part of a team good enough to qualify for the playoffs in the NFL - are going to have a problem with a 10:00 start. The Chargers' 3-0 record this year in such games supports that.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 11:45 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: I can only speak in regards to the Bengals so maybe they handle travel differently, but they fly in Saturday for Sunday games. I've stalked the team stayed at the team hotel in Green Bay, Minnesota, & Miami and that's been pretty consistent. Plus, the team and some players' Twitter accounts occasionally show pictures of them traveling the day before the games.

That said, I don't believe that some of the best athletes in the world - particularly those who are part of a team good enough to qualify for the playoffs in the NFL - are going to have a problem with a 10:00 start. The Chargers' 3-0 record this year in such games supports that.

Can you provide links so we can understand the context of that stat?   Tongue
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 05:20 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Can you provide links so we can understand the context of that stat?   Tongue

https://goo.gl/U6RnQg
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 11:45 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: That said, I don't believe that some of the best athletes in the world - particularly those who are part of a team good enough to qualify for the playoffs in the NFL - are going to have a problem with a 10:00 start. The Chargers' 3-0 record this year in such games supports that.

This is no big deal; Chargers lineman love starting early. Ninja
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2019, 05:31 PM)34inXXIII Wrote: https://goo.gl/U6RnQg

Freakin' hilarious. LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 09:40 PM)StrictlyBiz Wrote: You have too much time on your hands if you’re thinking of this bullshit.

You need a woman.

After awhile a woman will drive you to thinking about bullshit.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2019, 05:59 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: Okay, Brad, here you go.  I got through 2013:

For 2018:
Early games:
The Chargers won at the Ravens with a 1:00 pm start time.  (1-0)

Late games:
The Seahawks lost at the Cowboys in a primetime game.  (0-1)

For 2017:
No games fit the criteria.  The only west coast team was the Rams, and they lost in the first round at home, so that doesn't count.  

For 2016:
Early games:

Late games:
Raiders lost to the Texans, 4:35 start (0-2)
Seahawks lost at the Falcons, 4:35 start (0-3)

For 2015:
Early games:
Seahawks won at Minnesota, 1:05 start (2-0)
Seahawks lost at Carolina, 1:06 start (2-1)

Late games:
Cardinals lost at Carolina, prime time start (0-4)

For 2014:
Early games:

Late games:
Cardinals lost at Carolina, 4:20 start (0-5)
Seattle won at Green Bay, 3:06 start (1-5)

For 2013
Early Games:
Chargers won at Cincy, 1:05 start (3-1)
SF won at Carolina, 1:05 start (4-1)

Late games:
SF won at GB, 4:40 start (2-5)

Early games, the western team was 4-1.  Late games, they were 2-5.  I think that the gap narrowed a bit with a few more years (I didn't document those earlier, so you'll have to check for yourself), but clearly, playing early did not affect six years' worth of teams too badly.

EDIT: You can check these pretty easily with Google.  Note that the years given were for the appropriate season, not the year the game was played in.  

Except not all of those are the two time zones on the opposite ends of the country and aren't as big of a jump.  

So those results really aren't all valid or telling much.
Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 03:41 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: Except not all of those are the two time zones on the opposite ends of the country and aren't as big of a jump.  

So those results really aren't all valid or telling much.

I beg to differ. Teams playing in the Mountain Zone generally start their home games at 4 EST, just like the west coast teams. A 1 pm EST start is three hours earlier than they're used to, again, just like the West Coast teams. Thus, their adjustment is roughly the same.

EDIT: Additionally, with both Mountain Zone teams being in the west division of their respective conferences, they would play a good chunk of their away games at 4EST as well, making a 1 EST start relatively rare.
Reply/Quote
This smack is batsh!t crazy.

Reply/Quote
(01-13-2019, 04:14 PM)The Real Deal Wrote: This smack is batsh!t crazy.

It is what it is. None of the teams in the AFCN are very good, so ...
Reply/Quote
And why would they favor the Ravens anyway? I think the Ravens are a lot like the Bengals. Nobody really cares too much about them until they have no choice. I've certainly never felt they were darlings of the media or the NFL.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 11:46 AM)michaelsean Wrote: And why would they favor the Ravens anyway?  I think the Ravens are a lot like the Bengals.  Nobody really cares too much about them until they have no choice.  I've certainly never felt they were darlings of the media or the NFL.

The theory was proposed by Brad.  Need we say any more?  
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 01:27 PM)JS-Steelerfan Wrote: The theory was proposed by Brad.  Need we say any more?  

I love that you attack me but, like many things, you have no real answers for any of my questions or things that I point out.

It's very childish, but I guess that's expected for someone that cheers for a known rapist.

As far as michael's post, fans care a lot more about the Ravens than they do the Chargers or Bengals.

If you look at the facts, the Chargers actually rank lower than the Bengals in terms of money generated, social equity, and road equity, meaning that the Ravens make the NFL a lot more money, which would play into my original post of the NFL favoring them.

Thank you for the attempted ridicule, as well as offering nothing of any substance, because it only strengthens my argument!

ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(01-14-2019, 08:35 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: I love that you attack me but, like many things, you have no real answers for any of my questions or things that I point out.

It's very childish, but I guess that's expected for someone that cheers for a known rapist.

As far as michael's post, fans care a lot more about the Ravens than they do the Chargers or Bengals.

If you look at the facts, the Chargers actually rank lower than the Bengals in terms of money generated, social equity, and road equity, meaning that the Ravens make the NFL a lot more money, which would play into my original post of the NFL favoring them.

Thank you for the attempted ridicule, as well as offering nothing of any substance, because it only strengthens my argument!

ThumbsUp

The reason why you think I have no answers is because you tend to simply ignore logic that doesn’t support your presupposed conclusions.  For example, you will likely ignore this:

As your referenced article itself suggests, having a  streak of success can affect the popularity of a team.   With that in mind, if the league really were trying to interfere (and I am by no means suggesting they are) wouldn’t it make more sense for them to improve the status of the teams that are lower on that list?   Over the years they certainly have done so in more legitimate ways: salary caps, draft orders favoring the lesser teams, etc.  In the long run, having a ‘rich get richer and poor get poorer’ mentality hurts the overall league revenue.  That’s why they have instituted practices that create parity.  Your theory suggests that they are willing to frustrate their own efforts at that.  Why would the league try to both encourage and discourage parity at the same time?  It makes no sense.

Please try to answer the actual question without resorting to your irrelevant go-to points (e.g., ‘Oh yeah? Well your QB’s a rapist!’). Your tendency to do that (along with your wacky theories) is why so many people (including Bengal fans) don’t take you seriously.  I have bolded the relevant point to help you focus.  
Reply/Quote