Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do we make the switch at QB?
So...the indomitable Case Keenum, on 4th and 1, just pumped and reeled it back in, then threw a pass for a first down, because there was no passing lane (see: there was a defender right in front of him) on his initial attempt to pass. 

Just an observation. 

And then he fumbles...which doesn't negate what he did... Ninja

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:40 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Honestly, I gave Washington as a gift. Case Keenum v Andy Dalton? Push. And I agree on your Haskins point.

In fact, in the game going on right now, does anyone think that, given the Skins skill players, that AD would be doing any better against the Bears D? I would emphatically say NO.

I'd go with a no as well. 3 Ints have killed Keenum and the 'skins (though i didn't see any of the 1st half). Before tonight, he was 5/0 td/int and had a 111 rating. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:38 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Sir, the coach came out and explained it in press conferences recapping the games. The reporters all came out and said it after the games. The players said it after the games. 

I don't know what else you need as evidence, but you just covering your ears to all of that and saying "punch in mouth" isn't nearly as persuading as all of the above. Teams are putting more  men on the line than the Bengals have blockers. They are not doing so and blitzing. They are doing so to fill gaps and stop the run. This has been covered and explained by the above for almost  3 weeks.

This is why they are throwing so much. They have said that. Literally.

That being said, if they drafted 5 O Linemen and some LBs in 2020, I would be fine w it. I absolutely think those guys should be much better.

I have seen AD's entire career. He is in his 30s. He doesn't have "it". His deal is up soon. He is what he is: John Kitna w/ out the Jesus. Time to move on.

Actually, Dalton is quite the church boy (a major reason some like him so much imo-clean cut Christian white boy...).

He’s honestly a little too nice for my liking.

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:56 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: You can't add losses to Dalton's ledger, in games he was injured and didn't play/start. 

I admitted my mistake and quoted Harleydog to say he was right at 2-8 in his last 10, which isn't much better. That being said, the Bengals ar 1-10 in their last 11. Not good, either.
Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 11:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: So...the indomitable Case Keenum, on 4th and 1, just pumped and reeled it back in, then threw a pass for a first down, because there was no passing lane (see: there was a defender right in front of him) on his initial attempt to pass. 

Just an observation. 

And then he fumbles...which doesn't negate what he did... Ninja

It's a PUSH! LOL
Reply/Quote
I don't know that it would make a difference this season. Chances are that it's another lost season. I like Finley and think he could be the future starter. I like Dalton a lot, but I'd rather let him take the beating this season than Finley. Let Finley learn unless Dalton gets hurt and he has to play. Plus, I'd like to think the Bengals may be able to trade Dalton and get something for him. Benching him would hurt his trade value. I understand we can cut him with no cap hit, but I'd rather bring back something than just let him go for nothing.

With Jonah back next season, hopefully re-sign Green, and hopefully some positive OLine contributors from the draft, next year could shape up as the perfect transition season for Finley to take over.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 09:00 AM)muskiesfan Wrote: I don't know that it would make a difference this season. Chances are that it's another lost season. I like Finley and think he could be the future starter. I like Dalton a lot, but I'd rather let him take the beating this season than Finley. Let Finley learn unless Dalton gets hurt and he has to play. Plus, I'd like to think the Bengals may be able to trade Dalton and get something for him. Benching him would hurt his trade value. I understand we can cut him with no cap hit, but I'd rather bring back something than just let him go for nothing.

With Jonah back next season, hopefully re-sign Green, and hopefully some positive OLine contributors from the draft, next year could shape up as the perfect transition season for Finley to take over.

But we need to see Finley against actual starters to know if we should go QB in the draft next year or not.

With only one year left on his contract, his playoff and prime time woes, what looks like 4 losing seasons in a row, and his age, Dalton probably isn’t going to bring back that much in trade anyway.

Reply/Quote
The backup QB is always most popular for teams struggling. But as we saw with these same fans calling for McCarron and Driskel to start, you can't trust emotional fans on this board to adequately critique QB play.

We all knew Dalton would struggle with Andre Smith and Jerry starting at LT along with the LG and C position being in flux added to the RG and RT being some of the worst players at their position in football.

But it seems to still be shocking to some who should have long saw the signs. Which is why again, it's hard to trust their analysis and judgment.

But hey, no one is calling to bench Mixon. They are pointing to the struggles of the Oline. So they know which makes you wonder if it really is anything other than Dalton hate?

They've got their starting qb preference for the Bengals before (Driskel. McCarrron) and well. No thanks.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 10:35 AM)jj22 Wrote: The backup QB is always most popular for teams struggling. But as we saw with these same fans calling for McCarron and Driskel to start, you can't trust emotional fans on this board to adequately critique QB play.

We all knew Dalton would struggle with Andre Smith and Jerry starting at LT along with the LG and C position being in flux added to the RG and RT being some of the worst players at their position in football.

But it seems to still be shocking to some who should have long saw the signs. Which is why again, it's hard to trust their analysis and judgment.

But hey, no one is calling to bench Mixon. They are pointing to the struggles of the Oline. So they know which makes you wonder if it really is anything other than Dalton hate?

They've got their starting qb preference for the Bengals before (Driskel. McCarrron) and well. No thanks.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 10:35 AM)jj22 Wrote: The backup QB is always most popular for teams struggling. But as we saw with these same fans calling for McCarron and Driskel to start, you can't trust emotional fans on this board to adequately critique QB play.

But hey, no one is calling to bench Mixon. They are pointing to the struggles  of the Oline. So they know which makes you wonder if it really is anything other than Dalton hate?

Yes, but circumstances are everything !

AD isn't in his 3rd season. We're most likely not winning a lot of games this season with this awful Oline no matter who the QB is.

So you ask yourself is AD the answer down the road with this team ? probably not

So if we go 0-4 or 1-5 why not see if the backup's have it or not ?
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 10:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes, but circumstances are everything !

AD isn't in his 3rd season. We're most likely not winning a lot of games this season with this awful Oline no matter who the QB is.

So you ask yourself is AD the answer down the road with this team ? probably not

Because people won’t be able to wear their #14 jerseys anymore...

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 10:45 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: [Image: giphy.gif]

I will see your Robin Hood MiT and raise you a Kanye head shake. 

[Image: 70b9d2133563fd7f61ef3356d6775340883edced..._:original]

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 11:16 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Because people won’t be able to wear their #14 jerseys anymore...

I have good news for them then. They will always be able to wear their #14 jersey, thanks to one Mr. Ken Anderson. 

Just remove the nameplate if necessary.  :andy:

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 10:51 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yes, but circumstances are everything !

I don't want to ruin a qb. Build the team, plug in the franchise qb. That's my belief and preferred course of action for the future team. Any QB we put behind that line and run game is done. So why ruin them.

As far as AD. These same people were calling for his benching his 2nd, 3rd, 4th year too so not sure the circumstances changed much.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't want to ruin a qb. Build the team, plug in the franchise qb. That's my belief. Any QB we put behind that line and run game is done. So why ruin them.

As far as AD. These same people were calling for his benching his 2nd, 3rd, 4th year too so not sure the circumstances changed much.

I remember people complaining we didn't draft Ryan Mallet! 
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:43 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I remember people complaining we didn't draft Ryan Mallet! 

Right. You mention any of these "young" qb's struggling and they scream "they are in their 2nd/3rd year" (Dalton in his second year wouldn't have the loaded Browns team 1-2 and looking like they won't get that winning record, but let someone criticize Baker whose considered a star), yet they never gave Dalton a honeymoon and was calling for his benching after year 2. Even after 4 straight playoff runs (which these young qb's could only hope to accomplished, and in many cases never will), they were calling for his benching with signs at Training Camp for McCarron to start.

They are just emotional and that sometimes effects judgment. Yea Dalton couldn't pull off the upset, but these same critics turned a blind eye to Rivers and Wilson miss throws in the last drive that ended their comeback attempts Sunday too. They are still considered star QB's however. So it's just fandom and understandable.

Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: I don't want to ruin a qb. Build the team, plug in the franchise qb. That's my belief and preferred course of action for the future team. Any QB we put behind that line and run game is done. So why ruin them.

The vast majority of QBs aren't that mentally fragile. How in the world are you going to get a franchise QB AFTER you've built a good team? 

Reply/Quote
(09-23-2019, 09:43 PM)PDub80 Wrote: Teams respect Joe Mixon, so they load up on the run. This was talked about after Seattle & San Fran games. They do NOT respect Dalton and dare him to beat them throwing, so they let the Bengals throw it. And, guess what? LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE RI

So if Mixon can't be effective without great talent around him doesn't mean we should replace him.

Seems i have heard that argument somewhere before.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The vast majority of QBs aren't that mentally fragile. How in the world are you going to get a franchise QB AFTER you've built a good team? 

If you build the team right, you won't NEED a franchise QB.
Reply/Quote
(09-24-2019, 02:54 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: How in the world are you going to get a franchise QB AFTER you've built a good team? 

Ask dak prescott.
Reply/Quote